Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bears repeating...Jake Bentley has no backup
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Bears repeating...Jake Bentley has no backup

Nov 21, 2017, 6:15 PM

Mentioned this before but it bears repeating...not even sure Jake Bentley made it to halftime before crawling off the field last year with the shell-shocked look of someone who had just survived a B-52 strike. To their (limited) credit, the Gamecock staff apparently (correctly) realized their newest Savior was about to have chalk outlines painted around him on the field, and turned to their discarded former Savior, Brandon McIlwain, who was a lot more mobile and thus a lot better-able to run for his life. McIlwain actually moved the chains a couple times and even scored a TD in garbage time.

Problem is, with his usual velvet touch (he had six 4-star QB's transfer out on him at UF), Willy Champ had already alienated McIlwain, and McIlwain transferred (along with the former former Savior QB, Lorenzo Nunez.) Also, their 10th-year Spurrier walk-on holdover, Perry Orth, finally graduated...which left the Gamecocks with exactly zero QB's who had ever completed a pass behind Jake Bentley. Which seems about par for the course on Willy Champ's people management.

But wait! There's more! With their extensive attention to player development ahead of short-term results, Muschamp and his much-beloved OC, Kurt Roper, have duly made sure that Bentley's backups have been given ample live-game opportunities this season. And so Bentley's backups this year have completed....

...yeesh. Actually they haven't. NOT ONE QB BESIDES JAKE BENTLEY HAS COMPLETED A PASS FOR SOUTH CAROLINA THIS YEAR. They didn't even get their backups into the game against Wofford. Which has to be some kind of record.

(Bravo, fellas. Now that will get the young hotshot QB's lining up to play for ya!)

So they best wrap Jake Bentley up in bubble wrap this year. Just saying. If he goes out at any point in the game, their new QB will get his first live-game action against a Clemson team that features four defensive linemen with projected first-round draft grades. Which seems a winning strategy; I'm sure the newb will do fine.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bears repeating...Jake Bentley has no backup

Nov 21, 2017, 6:20 PM

I am actually surprised he has made it this far without being injured. His line is terrible. This is for sure: he has not faced a defense like what he will see Saturday night. It could get really ugly for the chickens but not for me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 6:27 PM

All that baby fat protects him..lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He wears two helmets***

Nov 21, 2017, 6:28 PM

Re: He wears two helmets******

Nov 21, 2017, 6:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: He wears two helmets******

Nov 21, 2017, 8:51 PM

might be loling out loud for a while. +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He wears two helmets***

Nov 21, 2017, 7:27 PM [ in reply to He wears two helmets*** ]

Actually, the first helmet is not "really" a helmet. It is a fivehead.

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Bears repeating...Jake Bentley has no backup ]

That's because they HAVEN'T PLAYED ANYONE WITH A PULSE!

If Bentley makes it to the second half I will be suprised! Austin Bryant and Clelin Ferrell are gone meet for a sack lunch !

# WE2DEEP
#ALLIN
GO TIGERS!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's been injured lots of times ...

Nov 22, 2017, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Bears repeating...Jake Bentley has no backup ]

Haven't you noticed?

He falls down all the time when no one is touching him.

Poor kid must be in constant pain and barely able to walk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Their entire gameplan will be to get the ball out quickly

Nov 21, 2017, 6:47 PM

and to move the pocket to neutralize our d-line.

How well can they execute it?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Their entire gameplan will be to get the ball out quickly

Nov 21, 2017, 7:25 PM

spot on - they are praying the syracuse excuse for an offense will work for them. Still recall a couple of shovel passes last year a.k.a. pittsburg's offense. Not sure that worked too well for them.

Go Tigers!!!

Nov 21, 2017, 8:42 PM

If I recall correctly Syracuse had so much success because of the tempo they were running. South Carolina has never and will never run a tempo offense. Partially because their a pro style offense (“pro” lol) and also because jakey poo has to run to the sidelines to get the playcall. I guess since he skipped high school it’s harder for him to comprehend all the play calls?

Nov 21, 2017, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Their entire gameplan will be to get the ball out quickly ]

I think O'Daniel will spy and rush up for a sack and a couple TFL. Venables is going to dial it up IMO.

That's because Jake IS the backup.

Nov 21, 2017, 6:50 PM

The third-string backup.

.. and yet planned runs by Bentley are one of the main

Nov 21, 2017, 6:56 PM

game plan strategies their staff will need to call upon.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That, sir, is a great post, but

Nov 21, 2017, 6:56 PM

You misspelled beers.

Re: That, sir, is a great post, but

Nov 21, 2017, 7:26 PM

mmmmm... beers....

Go Tigers!!!

Bravo

Nov 21, 2017, 7:53 PM

Point for correct usage of "newb"

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always remember, "Da killin my baby!"***

Nov 21, 2017, 8:45 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Always remember, "Da killin my baby!"***

Nov 22, 2017, 12:17 AM

That's what ol bobby will yelling Saturday night!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2017, 11:15 PM

Great analysis Quozzel, but I am not sure it is correct. I think it is important to distinguish between a lateral and a forward pass. Using that criteria, I am not sure that Benchly has completed a forward pass either .... if that is what you are referring to. In their battle with Wofford, I saw a couple of dozen "laterals" (technically they went about a yard forward, but they were far from forward passes) but anything further downfield was either dropped or missed the target (mostly high).

So technically, I don't think Scar and the fighting chickens have completed a forward pass this year!

Nov 22, 2017, 9:17 PM

Enjoyed the read Q.!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic