Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I was 32 when I walked into admission to get paper to enroll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

I was 32 when I walked into admission to get paper to enroll

Feb 13, 2018, 5:32 AM

They told me to suck it. I went to G'ville Tech and after 2 quarters of work there I returned to Clemson to apply to Building Science program in the college of art and architecture. They told me they didn't take transfers. I told them I could get into Harvard with my grades. They said I probably could but Art and Arch didn't take transfers from Harvard either.

I applied to the engineering school to get my foot in the door. After enrolling in engineering I went back to the BS department and ask them to approve my transfer. They accepted my application only because I was a Clemson student. All that took two years because I had open heart between the time I started at tech and got settled into the BS program.

I didn't quit. Anyone who give up doesn't belong at Clemson to start with. I don't care if it's your son, daughter or gay boyfriend if they don't feel like Clemson is worth the labor to get into them eff them.

My baby boy graduated from Clemson a couple years ago. He was born during my Jr year at Clemson. He has four older siblings. Yes, I had four kids when I enrolled and five when I graduated and I worked my butt off to support them. My daddy died when I was 19.

I don't want to hear these whineasz people cry because the world isn't dropped into their laps. Get off y'all's butts, get to work and do what it takes. I did it against all odd and every friggin one of you has it easier than I had it so do it or be a friggin coot but shut the helll up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was 32 when I walked into admission to get paper to enroll

Feb 13, 2018, 7:20 AM

Awesome story!! Sometimes you have to take the long road but there are lessons and blessings received along the way.
My son didn't get his acceptance letter yesterday when several of our friends on FaceBook posted a picture of their child with an acceptance letter. I am so excited for them. I'm also excited for my son because the road he takes will be full of lessons and blessings. I stressed grades but too many other things were more important to him. College isn't for everyone and it just may not be for him. Yes, he is capable and scored 1200 on the SAT but his High School GPA is 2.57 which probably with the strike against him. Oh well, it is what it is but he will grow through it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he just isn't ready for education yet.

Feb 13, 2018, 12:40 PM

As I said, I was 32 when I finally enrolled in tech. I had a double major in high school. P&P, pot and girls. I was 27 when I realized something was wrong with my life. Two years later I realized I hadn't finished my education and the impact that failure was having on my life.

I didn't choose Clemson because I was a Clemson fan. I chose Clemson because it was within driving distance from Easley where I lived. My friends and coworkers laughed when I told them I was going to Clemson.

Maybe your son will figure it out when he grows up. For me, waiting was better than getting admitted and flunking out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is your name

Feb 13, 2018, 8:01 AM

https://youtu.be/M_LQ4_MhDu4

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No.

Feb 13, 2018, 12:44 PM

I lived at Tanner Cross Roads close to Patches. He lived in a house down the road from us. We lived in a van down by the river not up there with Patches and the other rich folk.

Re: No.

Feb 14, 2018, 4:05 PM

Re: No.

Feb 14, 2018, 5:14 PM

When I was at Clemson in 2014, there was one student that lived in the woods near Highpoint in a tent.

He bought a half acre of land near Martin's Creek Boat Ramp for $3000. Cleared out the underbrush, laid down industrial pallets as a foundation, and set up a big tent. He lived there all 4 years.

I didn't have near that hard but I understand having to work

Feb 13, 2018, 8:22 AM

I had to go the co-op route. Being at Clemson one semester and working the next gave me the money I needed to be at Clemson the next one after working, and the company I was co-oping with helped to pay my tuition (they paid about half). I also was claiming myself on my taxes, and at least at that time, allowed me to get Pel Grants for my Senior year after I was finished with co-op. My 5 years (7 semesters and 2 summers and 4 co-op semesters 1987-1992) cost $12,000 out of pocket. I stayed in a really cheap apartment most of the time I was there ($310/month split 3 ways).

I say that just to say there are lots of ways to get through if you really want to get the degree.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can i get a ----

Feb 13, 2018, 9:13 AM

https://youtu.be/p_v9RUE2nrw

gay boyfriend?

Feb 13, 2018, 10:50 AM

cutigerbob®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Bob is gay but I'm not.

Feb 13, 2018, 12:46 PM

Yes, we dated a bit but I'm not gay. I was just testing the waters back then.

Well said!***

Feb 13, 2018, 11:19 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I transferred in as well after 1 year.

Feb 13, 2018, 12:45 PM

No big deal.

Appreciate it.

Feb 13, 2018, 1:00 PM

I didn't know how to study but my 6th grade educated father taught me how to work. I learned how to study at tech. It didn't take long and I'm certain I could have learned to study at Clemson but that's not the point.

Ben Franklin posed a riddle. If there are five apples and you take away three how many apples do you have? Three, those three you took away. That's the foundation of this great country. If you want it then go take it.

Clemson had the 4 yr education I wanted and I freaking took it.

I had it easy but respect hard work and your story ...

Feb 13, 2018, 10:18 PM

Arrived in '79 from VA. Worked as bricklayer's helper on construction jobs every summer and Christmas holiday. Had cash in my pocket to raise too much ####. Graduated in 1984. Love some Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I sheet rocked houses in Pickens Co during that time period.

Feb 14, 2018, 10:53 AM

Who did you work for?

And only had three channels upon the telly.

Feb 14, 2018, 10:56 AM

And was grateful to have that!

Your post immediately made me want to cheer

Feb 14, 2018, 12:46 PM

RUDY, RUDY, RUDY!!!

In all seriousness though good story.

Re: I was 32 when I walked into admission to get paper to enroll

Feb 14, 2018, 5:28 PM

I'm proud of all you guys that worked so hard for your education. As I was getting out my older brother and a bunch of guys who are now friends went back to school after serving in the military ....most in Viet Nam. Some of them barely graduated from high school but eventually understood that they needed an education. Quite frankly, if I were hiring a Clemson grad (or any other for that matter), those would be the first guys that I would look at!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic