Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Be honest
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Be honest

Oct 11, 2017, 10:49 AM

Eight, maybe six years ago, did you think that our Tigers would be in the position today that college football has become Alabama - Clemson and then everyone else? It is truly amazing what has happened in this small town in the south. Did you ever believe that our Tigers would be featured on national tv every day? I can remember just a few years ago when I would drive around these mountain tops trying to find a radio signal to get Jim Phillips radio show. I wouldn't want to admit how much money and effort that I spent on various tv and radio antenna during these years!
I love it. And we all know who to thank. Go Tigers. Join IPTAY

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I enjoyed the 80's; But this time is THE Best!

Oct 11, 2017, 11:03 AM

I guess being older now I can appreciate the effort and just how hard it is to sustain the success Dabo has created. Danny Ford's days were GREAT and a high times for sure but these days are the sweetest!

Go TIGERS SQUEEZE DA JUICE!

Family has been Lifetime Iptay Donors since the 70"s

Re: I enjoyed the 80's; But this time is THE Best!

Oct 11, 2017, 11:07 AM

true and I think its tougher now with all the media. Like Saban was saying good publicity can ruin a team and several years I felt it did with Clemson where some good teams could have been great but stubbed their toe when they shouldnt have

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I gotta find a way to change my Tigernet name :)

Oct 12, 2017, 10:16 AM

music was still better though:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Class of '82

Oct 12, 2017, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: I enjoyed the 80's; But this time is THE Best! ]

Been there done that, can't wait to face the Alabama game for the rubber match!

to me the 80's were magical, I was 6 when we won the natty

Oct 11, 2017, 7:06 PM [ in reply to I enjoyed the 80's; But this time is THE Best! ]

And All I ever wanted to do was play Defense at Clemson. I grew up watching guys like the Perry's, Chester, Buckner, Kirkland, McDaniel, J.Johnson, A. shepherd, James Earl, Dawkins, James Trapp, and on and on. It's so much fun for me up until the point I heard of Danny's firing. Was crushed. I got to play football in college but not at Clemson but those days watching those teams drove me to be the player/athlete I became.

No Kidding

Oct 11, 2017, 11:06 AM

Two back to back trips to the big show with a great chance at a 3-Peat!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No Kidding

Oct 11, 2017, 11:09 AM

The John Boy and Billy Big Show??? ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope.

Oct 11, 2017, 11:15 AM

My dream for Clemson football was to see one more championship before I died. I had no idea we'd build a dynasty while doing that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nope.

Oct 11, 2017, 1:33 PM

We haven't built a dynasty yet, that requires multiple national titles over a period of time along with sustained top-10 seasons, multiple conference championships, winning bowl record in that time, rivalry domination, dominating top 10 games...

We are knocking on the door. If we win another national title or 2 in the next 3-5 years, I would agree that we have created a Clemson dynasty. We certainly have every other box checked off to qualify for one.

It's just a matter of time.***

Oct 11, 2017, 5:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ truth***

Oct 11, 2017, 10:51 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never thought I'd see one.

Oct 11, 2017, 6:00 PM [ in reply to Nope. ]

After the NC game in 2015, I thought that was our best chance. Absolutely unreal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I did not expect this at all

Oct 11, 2017, 11:19 AM

And, I was not happy, like so many others, that Dabo was named Coach of the Clemson Tiger football team. But I have already admitted I was wrong on that point. Now, I just love to talk Tiger football with Head Coach Dabo Swinney as the highlight.

One thing I really love is the level of defense CDS teams play. I remember the 80's and the greatness of our defense back then... and the many years of mediocrity that followed Danny Ford's firing. But this team is better in every aspect.

When I use the term team, I mean for it to include the entire span of the coaches reign. Danny ford had a consistently good team - so does Dabo. Not just that we have two consecutive shots at the National tile, but because we have done so with a very different culture than Danny fostered. And Dabo has done it in the age of media like none before him.

I did not ever expect to see our Tigers this prominent in the CFB landscape ever - and barely hoped we could get to the level CDF had reached. We have reached that and exceeded it.

Now, the only question I have is this - What next?! I don't know but I am certain it will be good.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Dabo gets credit for snagging CBV, but Venebles gets the

Oct 11, 2017, 11:29 AM

credit for our nasty D, year after year. He is awesome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I did not expect this at all

Oct 11, 2017, 10:35 PM [ in reply to I did not expect this at all ]

I disagreed with the Dabo hire at the time. I liked Dabo, but I thought we did the cheap thing instead of the best thing. Glad I was wrong.

"Yes I did"- Dabo Swinney circa 2009..........***

Oct 11, 2017, 12:06 PM

Don't underestimate the effect of the playoffs in our...

Oct 11, 2017, 12:13 PM

ascension as well. Media still trying to prop up and hype perennial busts like OSU, Oklahoma, the real USC, etc. The ability to beat them head to head means everything. It still galls me, even though it's meaningless, but from a respect point of view, that we are ranked #2 to the team we beat, as defending NCs, with an undeniably tougher strength of schedule, 6 games into the season. We need the ability to settle it on the field, again.

Re: Don't underestimate the effect of the playoffs in our...

Oct 11, 2017, 10:39 PM

Does not matter to me. As long as we win, we stay in the top 4. If we had this record 6 years ago, we would be ranked somewhere between 8 and 10. We are getting the respect now. Alabama has been better longer. We keep doing what we are doing and we will get that respect.

I remember when we'd having listening parties........

Oct 11, 2017, 12:14 PM

here in Atlanta way back when and had to pay for a long-distance analog phone line to listen to Jim Phillips broadcast the game - scratchy and muffled sound, etc. And, of course, in those days we didn't even dream of being on TV.

Yeah, would definitely say things have come a long way!

It's truly a blessing, yet sitting in the stands

Oct 11, 2017, 12:21 PM

on any given Saturday you're likely to get the impression Hen Katfield is still coaching.

You are going to have to explain that!

Oct 11, 2017, 12:44 PM

I can't imagine what you are talking about. Spill!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's truly a blessing, yet sitting in the stands

Oct 11, 2017, 12:21 PM

on any given Saturday you're likely to get the impression Hen Katfield is still coaching.

Nope.

Oct 11, 2017, 12:23 PM

Not in a Brazilian years.

Re: Be honest

Oct 11, 2017, 12:31 PM

As Carly Simon says (and another poster on Tnet) "These are the good old days"

Savor them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2017, 12:35 PM

I thought basketball and football would be in opposite positions but football went up and basketball went down!!! I'll take it!!!!!!

Oct 11, 2017, 12:37 PM

Even though I am generally optimistic, eight years ago, I had given up hope. When Dabo was named HC, I questioned the decision. I have since admitted more than once that I was wrong. Six years ago, hope was restored. Clemson football has accomplished things I could have never imagined, and I feel the success is far from being over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Re: I have been a Tiger fan since the "40s. I have never

Oct 11, 2017, 12:44 PM

doubted that this would happen. Folks, it will continue and one of these days we will reach these heights in basketball and I
aim to be around to see it. You have got to believe.

from your keyboard all the way to heaven!***

Oct 11, 2017, 9:28 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's building a culture..

Oct 11, 2017, 12:51 PM

it sounded a little hokey to me when I first started hearing him talk about it but it's not. He is a really great leader- and it all starts there. Terry Don is who we should be thanking. I loved the 80s but this is much, much better.

$60 to join iptay. I aint got that kind of money..dang***

Oct 11, 2017, 12:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: $60 to join iptay. I aint got that kind of money..dang***

Oct 12, 2017, 6:46 PM

Just go ahead and do the 1600 level.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I've been at it since 1965, my freshman year. I'm still

Oct 11, 2017, 2:30 PM

pinching myself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 years ago? No. 6 years ago? Yes.***

Oct 11, 2017, 4:43 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2017, 5:39 PM

This time it has lasted longer and we also have a head coach, ad and president all on the same page instead of fighting each other. IPTAY donor that doesn’t purchase tickets because physically unable to climb the stands any more

What "mountains "?***

Oct 11, 2017, 9:23 PM

Re: What "mountains "?***

Oct 11, 2017, 9:40 PM

I live in the NC mountains a few miles east of Boone.

Yep - as soon as we kicked mr nonchalant bowden out

Oct 12, 2017, 3:52 AM

and gave the reigns to someone who actually cared I knew it was on.

Oct 12, 2017, 2:51 PM

I always BELIEVED. I knew with our fans, our university, our rich football tradition, and the success achieved under Danny Ford it was possible.

When we beat Miami on double OT in Miami, I knew then that we had a special coach and a guy who made our guys BELIEVE. It was that moment, I knew we were destined for another natty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 12, 2017, 3:00 PM

If you want to seriously be considered a dynasty, beat Bama this year. They seem to seriously be on a mission and if we meet them in the championship game, it will be a slugfest for sure. Beat them when they are mad and while the whole world is watching.

Oct 12, 2017, 6:49 PM

At least we have been to the top in back to back years. Our team should have beaten them in the first game, but they took care of business in the second

Oct 12, 2017, 6:41 PM

The admin sold the idea that CLEMSON was under investigation again to sell their firing of Ford. His contract he signed to not reveal what happen has to be expired by now. Would love to know how down and dirty the AD and President got with that. They certainly was pissed when Ford went to all of the IPTAY meeting and told them about his desires for the team and admin was blocking any of his ideas

I did think Dabo was the right guy

Oct 12, 2017, 7:02 PM

but I never thought where we are now was even possible for Clemson. I thought contending for the conference most years and if everything lined up perfectly maybe a title run once every 10 years or so was probably our ceiling. I never thought we'd be at the top every year despite losing 8 or so players to the NFL almost every draft. things are so good right now it's unbelievable.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic