Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DT musings on offense...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

DT musings on offense...

Jul 8, 2018, 7:46 PM

(long post warning...if you hate long posts, RUN FOREST RUN! You've been warned! LOTTA WORDS!!!!)

Everybody, I think, knows about our D...as long as our thin-ish secondary stays healthy we should have one of the best defenses in college football. Maybe the best.

Our O is where the questions begin. The pundits keep saying Clemson will have a "workmanlike" offense in 2018..I'm not so sure about that. I think Downfield Rocketball could be back. Some thoughts in my head, in no particular order:

*I like our OL...our starting OL, anyway. Your most vital positions are usually LT and C in that order and we have NFL-prospect seniors at both of them. Mitch Hyatt is trying to show he's worth a first-round pick, and Justin Falcinelli will hear his name called at some point...what hurt Jay Guillermo wasn't his tape or college production - which was great - it was the fact that he was just 6'1" in actuality with short arms...Falcinelli has legit NFL measureables and an equally strong body of work. We're breaking in two new guards but John Simpson probably prompted Taylor Hearn's early jump to the NFL...Hearn just simply wasn't going to hold off the uber-talented Simpson for any longer and I suspect he knew it. We also got more athletic at RG by moving Sean Pollard inside...he's not the in-line snowplow the departed Tyrone Crowder was but he's athletic enough to pull and get to the second level (so is Simpson), and having two guards that athletic is a rare luxury for us, and allows the Tigers to do NFL-type stuff like the backside pulling guard that's gotten en vogue in the NFL. Tremayne Anchrum actually reminds me a lot of former Clemson standout Brandon Thomas...he's a little short and squat for an OT, but he moves really well and has long arms and might project to OG in the NFL...and I do think he'll play there. Depth behind those guys is looking a little thin and we're definitely going to be looking for young guys and former project players to step up. It'll be interesting to see if we can continue our 8-man rotation from next year.

*We got younger at WR...and I think, better. McCloud and Cain are gone to the NFL - as 6th rounders - but the crew we're featuring might be aspiring to a lot more than that. Tee Higgins (named for former Tennessee great Tee Martin) has everyone thinking "the next great one"...he had trouble getting off the line last year when somebody pressed him, but he was pretty much uncoverable in the open field, which prompted a temporary move to the slot...well, he was getting off the press this Spring at the boundary spot and getting downfield...and doing a whole lotta damage. His sidekick at the 2-spot looks like Amari Rodgers, actual son of Tee Martin, and another Tennessee dude...whatever. He looks like Artavis Scott clone to me, a WR in a RB's body, and considering Scott averaged about 85 catches a year at Clemson I'll take that. Obviously we still have the Perpetually Open Hunter Renfrow - now a senior! - and he is what he is, which is a guy who I don't think has ever been covered in his life and who could probably grab 20 balls a game at 10-11 yards a pop if you cared to feed him that much. After that there's a ton of intriguing and highly-rated options...a guy I think the staff is planning on feeding is 5th-year guy Trevion Thompson, who can play all three spots and has waited his turn with the patience of Job...I'd be surprised if Thompson didn't get 70-80 targets this year because they think he's an NFL guy and he's definitely earned the chance.

So much about this group depends on the QB. They did suffer some last year from Clemson's ball-control approach...I suspect that changes this year. A lot.

*Do we have a Heisman sleeper at RB? I wonder. Travis Etienne just has that "something"...he was a clueless, underdeveloped true frosh last year who still managed to look like a threat to house it every time he touched the ball...and he averaged - get this - 7.2 yards per touch. He also managed 13 TD's, many of them of the See Ya variety. I'm curious to see what he looks like now that he's actually found the weightroom and learned the playbook. Tavien Feaster managed 6.1ypc himself splitting time...the guy I find intriguing, though, is Adam Choice, who once was legitimately ahead of Wayne Gallman on the depth chart before he tore up his knee. He finally looked like he had that step back last year and got 4.9ypc, but they were Big Boy sledgehammer-type yards, and Choice is a 220+ pound bruiser who looks like a very nice change-up to Etienne. As a fifth-year senior Choice could certainly factor. My guess would be we'll see those three tote the load, with incoming frosh Lyn-J Dixon taking advantage of the new redshirt rule to appear in 3-4 games in spot duty. Dixon, to my eyes, looks a lot like Andre Ellington or at least a Hot Rod McDowell on film, a smallish, very quick slasher who likes doing his damage north-south right between the tackles.

What really makes me curious is what'll happen if Clemson develops a downfield passing game if, say, Trevor Lawrence takes over. Back the safeties back out of the box again, and these guys could potentially do amazing amounts of damage. They did a lot of damage last year, and that was mostly against loaded boxes.

*Hey! Are those actual TE's I see? Again: maybe. The TE spot was kind of MIA last year, with Jordan Leggett gone and Garrett Williams out with a torn ACL. Milan Richard did...all right, catching the ball - he got a modest 18 grabs - but he was less than a killer as a blocker. The return of Williams gives Clemson an NFL-caliber blocking TE again, which, again, bodes very well for Clemson's rushing attack, but I also hear murmurs the coaches actually like Williams' catching as well. We'll see. As for Milan Richard, I think he'll benefit greatly from a more polished passing game that actually works the middle of the field and goes vertical, since that's his forte. Senior Cannon Smith is another decent blocker, but I suspect we could see JC Chalk press for time as the year goes along; he looked very good in Spring Ball. Braden Galloway is raw, converting from QB in high school - but has Jordan Leggett's physical toolset...we'll see where he is as well.

*And of course...the QB battle. It almost sounds trite...but I almost think there isn't one. Kelly Bryant did a more-than-adequate job last year guiding the offense, but while he's a tough guy, a leader, an effective running QB, and an effective passer at 20-yards-and-under, there are some things he didn't do well, the deep ball being primary among them. That will either change this summer, or he will without question lose his job to Trevor Lawrence, who might be the best pure passer coming out of high school since John Elway. Lawrence is...a different animal. That doesn't even mention Chase Brice, who keeps drawing comparisons to Charlie Whitehurst, and who, in any other year, would be the guy breathing down Bryant's neck for time. The only real curiosity I have here, really, is how the coaches handle this situation. My hope is, if they're going to have to yank Bryant, they do it early enough he can preserve his redshirt under the new four-games-or-less rule. I'd like to see Bryant get his chance at the NFL, even if it is elsewhere, since I suspect Bryant is still a work in progress himself. (Keep in mind, Bryant only got to start for one year at Clemson, and he only played one year in a true passing offense in high school. If he can show just enough passing moxie, I think he's got enough tools the NFL may develop him, like a Tyrod Taylor.)

Whatever, already. Spot the ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post.

Jul 8, 2018, 7:56 PM

I see that I am not the only one who thinks Trevor Lawrence gets the start a lot sooner than most think. The post spring depth chart is somewhat of a smoke screen and a motivation tool. Yes, the wide receiver position gets an upgrade this year. I have to agree with Dabo. I believe Tee has the potential to be the best WR we’ve ever had come through here.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL:DR

Jul 8, 2018, 8:01 PM

Jk, great post

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DT musings on offense...

Jul 8, 2018, 8:04 PM

Very good points and great summary. I agree completely about the OLine and the upgrade in athleticism with Pollard and Simpson at guard. I’m very bullish on Simpson and expect him to have a huge year (which causes me great concern he may jump to NFL).

Higgins and Rodgers are going to be absolute stars at WR. Renfrow will be Renfrow along with 3 very good backs. Adam Choice I expect to be a productive back this year as well. Add in any production at all out of Williams, Richard, or maybe a Galloway and this offense could be explosive.

Finally, please be right on Trevor Lawrence. He’s the missing piece that will force defenses to respect our downfield passing game. This opens up so much from the underneath touch passes to the run game. I, like you, expect Trevor to start sooner rather than later. I think KB gets and deserves the curtain call start game 1, probably starts game 2 at a raucous A&M, and Trevor to take over game 3.

Jul 8, 2018, 10:38 PM

Yes, excellent post as always. I would disagree on one thing though. KB really couldn’t hit anything consistently. I know that sounds like a slam on kb but it’s not meant to be.

What concerns me about the atm game and kb playing is what offense do we run? Do we try and play that game like the auburn game? Hope not.

We have the potential to have the best D ever but a lot of teams are going to study the cuse game and others. They got to because our line is too good but we have got to score points and put the pressure on their offense.

We’ve got to have the freedom to rotate some young guys in for safety and cb to get them ready. Honestly, I think we have got to get up on teams quickly and put them away.

Can’t afford to stress our D. Too much building got to be done for next year and the second half of this year. If we have tight games like last year all the time we’ll potential wear them guys out.

Same with the OL. Got to get the young kids in for meaningful reps.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 8:08 PM

Love it; great post!

Quozzel

Jul 8, 2018, 8:11 PM

Tolstoy...Faulkner...those are long...not the least riveting.

Well done, as always.

Not long enough, IMO! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 8:11 PM

does David HoodSteele know that you are squatting on his property?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 8:15 PM

I needed that.

TLaw needs to play asap.

Jul 8, 2018, 8:28 PM

I wish HJ would have stayed and that the coaches would have started him (he knew the whole playbook) and bought TLaw along. But that is not Dabo's philosophy AND HJ knew between Dabo's philosophy and TLaw's talent, he had to move on.

So "we got what we got" and it needs to be TLaw asap.

IMO, whether we have a chance at the Natty rides on TLaw QBing asap. And by asap I mean by the TAMU game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TLaw needs to play asap.

Jul 8, 2018, 8:44 PM

Definitely. He will make his mistakes and learn on the fly, but he is the answer for the playoff imo. I bet he and Bryant both play vs A&M though. By week 4 or 5 games in TL will start. It's going to be interesting to see what really happens though. I wish he could start game 1.

Jul 8, 2018, 9:07 PM

Nice work. Thank you.

I remember reading your first post about KB and the new redshirt rule, and that makes a ton of sense.

TL is a different cat, and these All-world defensive linemen didn't come back to be on a very good team. If things go right, we could grab another Natty.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope to see all 3 of our QBs often. Wish it were 4.

Jul 8, 2018, 9:12 PM

Would love to see the offense expand and have a little more fun this season. We're 2x ahead on many fronts it seems - sure the staff knows that also and is licking their chops.

Go Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just my gut feeling, but I suspect TL is just too good

Jul 8, 2018, 9:24 PM

sit on the bench. I think there will be a definite learning curve and he will have to learn to play within himself and within the offense, not trying to force throws that he made so easily in HS, but I expect him to adjust quickly. I think all 3 QBs will play early, with KB in particular getting a lot of reps. KB is still learning, as you say, and it is possible that he could have improved his downfield throws over the summer. He's an extremely hard worker and has been extremely coachable, so we'll see. It was obvious that KB was pressing something fierce in the spring, feeling the heat, however. Just my best guess, but I see this being TL's team this year. Wouldn't even be shocked to see him win the job game 1.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Thanks for the great post, Quozzel

Jul 9, 2018, 12:37 AM

I have to admit that I will definitely be disappointed if we don't make the NC game. I think we have that much talent and leadership this year. It indeed is exciting.

Regarding the QB battle: I too think TLaw is the key to our winning it all. He will need REAL/SIGNIFICANT playing time early on, though, to be ready to assume that role when called upon.

We need to enjoy every minute. I am already dreading the loss of perhaps my most favorite DL of all time. They are something special.

Give this guy a job***

Jul 9, 2018, 8:47 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Jul 9, 2018, 8:57 AM

OL play is the key for success....but I think Deron Payne has moved on to the NFL so that's a plus.

Thanks for a great read!

Jul 9, 2018, 11:14 AM

Always good to start the week off with well written, positive Clemson vibes. It makes my Monday a little easier to endure. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out on our journey to Natty 3.0!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Love post like this! Go tigers!***

Jul 9, 2018, 11:36 AM

Re: Love post like this! Go tigers!***

Jul 9, 2018, 2:38 PM

Me too - More like old tnet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Love post like this! Go tigers!***

Jul 9, 2018, 2:50 PM

Good stuff, Thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As Much As I Appreciate Your Enthusiasm,

Jul 9, 2018, 3:07 PM

I think that you are overly optimistic regarding the Clemson offensive line. Moving Sean Pollard to guard will not alleviate his performance issues related to his lack of flexibility and only speaks to the lack of depth Clemson has at OL. Center snaps have to improve drastically to permit the offense to perform optimally so that's a wait and see issue.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic