Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What a time to be alive!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

What a time to be alive!

Mar 11, 2019, 12:53 PM

Several years ago, tnet wanted Jack HOF fired, and tnet be like "the game has passed Jack HOF by, we can't win playing small ball. This type of strategery is antiquated and it makes us lose!"

After losing to the coots this year tnet be like "Monte needs to play small ball instead of sending in the 'hit a homerun sign' with every batter, we can't win playing non small ball. This type of strategery is ludicrous and makes us lose!"

After beating the tarholes tnet be like "we good, might as well book our reservations in Omaha because Monte's strategery makes us win!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: What a time to be alive!

Mar 11, 2019, 12:58 PM

Very well laid out! I think Monte has the right strategy- get good athleticism and guys that love to play baseball and win with each strategy when appropriate.

Someone BengalBilly I believe said that stats over the years have bourne out that it’s better to swing away instead of bunt men over...

Anyway, good post!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2019, 1:00 PM

+1 for multiple uses of strategery.

Go home runs!

Bunts suck!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2019, 1:05 PM

Not everybody. It’s baseball. You can’t overreact to everything good or bad.
It is true that we need to be able to handle the bat like small ball teams while hitting bombs as well. Do u know why we scored so many runs game 2? We weren’t trying to bomb everything. We went with the pitch. I bet half of our hits were to the opposite field. We need a bit of both jack and Monte’s style

Because UNC only pitched fastballs? ***

Mar 11, 2019, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Mar 11, 2019, 1:26 PM [ in reply to Re: What a time to be alive! ]

Line drive singles and doubles don't become small ball just because they are to the opposite field.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, anti-Jack and he was an amazing coach at Clemson.

However, let's not pretend that it was Jack's style and not Monte's to score 17 runs with only 1 home run.

Let's also not pretend like Monte told the team after the game, "scoring 17 was nice but let's change our approach again so we can hit more home runs but score less runs and strike out more tomorrow".

Mar 11, 2019, 1:48 PM

For clarification I shouldn’t have said we need small ball. I agree with what you said. What we need is to handle the bat batter and strike out less which leads to productive outs as well. We don’t need to be too small ball oriented or too power oriented. We need a middle ground there and we found it Saturday

Mar 11, 2019, 1:49 PM

Better

Agree RagE ... and ...

Mar 11, 2019, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: What a time to be alive! ]

.... didn’t Davidson say he choked up and was protecting the plate when he hit his walk-off homer?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Agree RagE ... and ...

Mar 11, 2019, 1:53 PM

Yes he did. Our 2 strike approach was great

Hmmmm, you seem to have some...DiamondKnowledge***

Mar 11, 2019, 2:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Mar 12, 2019, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: What a time to be alive! ]

I like the, do what ever is necessary to win method the best, and it don't matter if it's small or big ball, just hit and catch the ball, put guys on base and move them around, or just crush it and slow trot around the bases, it don't matter if they just win, and just call it play to win ball!!!

Yep! And now it looks like Coach...

Mar 11, 2019, 1:16 PM

Brad Brownell is taking us back to the NCAA Tournament! It's a great time to be a Tiger!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

I refuse to reply to this tripe.

Mar 11, 2019, 1:20 PM

#ignoringtheidiots

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Right on GWP!! Except ...

Mar 11, 2019, 1:32 PM

.... didn’t we say - small ball was ludicrous .. and ... and home run ball was antiquated ?? -:D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Right on GWP!! Except ...

Mar 11, 2019, 1:34 PM

Don't forget that strikeouts are fascist.

Don't forget baseball fan said triples are better

Mar 11, 2019, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Right on GWP!! Except ... ]

than home runs. I think that was before Mackey beat him up in a slap fight behind home plate at Beautiful Tiger Field.

Oh no .... I ...

Mar 11, 2019, 1:47 PM

.... missed that ..,

Re: Oh no .... I ...

Mar 11, 2019, 1:51 PM

That was a rain delay for the ages!

Whatever happened to baseballfan? Did he become

Mar 11, 2019, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Don't forget baseball fan said triples are better ]

deroberts?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

No clue what happened to him

Mar 11, 2019, 2:57 PM

but if it ain't broke don't fix it

Re: Don't forget baseball fan said triples are better

Mar 12, 2019, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Don't forget baseball fan said triples are better ]

I like singles, doubles, triples, and home runs, all of those are my absolute favorites in baseball, and it doesn't get any better with them all!!!

Re: Right on GWP!! Except ...

Mar 12, 2019, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Right on GWP!! Except ... ]

We say all kinds of chit if we're not winning. Win, and the complaints are almost non existent for most. But we do have some that will complain about how we won, but for most, it doesn't matter as long as we are winning!!!

Why is this post not on the Football or Basketball forums?

Mar 11, 2019, 1:56 PM

Better yet ... the Lounge.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Because it's a baseball post. Hth***

Mar 11, 2019, 2:55 PM

Hmmmm ... interesting concept.***

Mar 11, 2019, 2:58 PM

So your saying "S.N.A.F.U?"***

Mar 11, 2019, 2:39 PM

100% yes

Mar 11, 2019, 2:55 PM

depending on what you mean by "S.N.A.F.U"

what a time to be alive - also the name of the latest

Mar 11, 2019, 3:45 PM

superchunk album.

Ok***

Mar 11, 2019, 5:06 PM

To be fair, Jack Leggett was tanking.

Mar 11, 2019, 6:13 PM

Nm

What? Oh wait...

Mar 11, 2019, 8:09 PM

what?

^^^^^^Found juan^^^^^^

Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 AM [ in reply to To be fair, Jack Leggett was tanking. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Mar 11, 2019, 6:59 PM

Well the bottom line is winning in the postseason, right? So the last 2 seasons we came out on fire , spent time in the top 10. Those 2 seasons we pretty much played cup cakes early and beat them . Then when the good teams came up we went cold . So that gave us all really not much hope even in home regionals. The past 2 years we went into the postseason playing poorly with experienced players.
I think this young team is hungry and beating UNC which will probably go to the CWS was huge.
Plus we have a lot of depth which will keep players focused. Right now we have 3-4 players hot at the same time and we will need them to stay steady.
This is how teams win in the postseason with multiple players hot not just 1 or maybe 2.

I don't completely disagree with you

Mar 11, 2019, 8:08 PM

but last year we did go 22-8 in ACC play. In 3 years Monte has won an ACC championship in 2016 and last year Clemson won the Atlantic.

I just found it ironic that people were missing small ball when that's all they complained about with Jack HOF.

Re: I don't completely disagree with you

Mar 12, 2019, 11:08 AM

Monte teaches power, most people don't actually know what that means. Small ball can be used affectively with speed and timing. Each game is different and each team is different. I would like to know what people think teaching kids power actually is. I'll hang up and listen and come back later to tell y'all what it means.

Re: I don't completely disagree with you***

Mar 12, 2019, 10:19 PM

Re: I don't completely disagree with you

Mar 12, 2019, 11:38 AM [ in reply to I don't completely disagree with you ]

What people want to see more of is spreading the ball around , moving batters over with outs.
Getting that fly ball with runners on 3rd. This is not small ball it’s good baseball.
Jack would bunt over runners early in games that usually killed likely big innings.
For us to make a run or even go to the CWS and win it. We must start hitting better, which we have.

U5c Coot

Mar 12, 2019, 1:28 PM

Ha! Stategery! Is that you, Dubya?

Mar 12, 2019, 11:22 AM

Are you recordifying this? :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2019, 3:05 PM

I have no idea, nor care what this thread is about.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A single or double is better than a home run . . . duhhhhhh

Mar 12, 2019, 11:44 AM

THAT hasn't changed . . . . and we still loose to people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic