Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 87
| visibility 1

Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year

Feb 24, 2019, 7:26 PM

Just out of idle curiosity for how the other half lives, I was eyeballing the Gamecock roster...honestly, they look pretty good, all things considered, at least on the offensive side of the ball. If the SEC East wasn't getting better in a hurry I'd say they could make a run at 10 wins, as it is they look good for maybe 8-4.

Their offense looks pretty durn good, actually. They have Jake Bentley back as a senior, a boatload of decent backs like Rico Dowdle and Ty'Son Williams and at least two really good wide receivers in Edwards and Shi Smith. Ortre Smith is pretty good as well, though he's the same kind of receiver as Edwards - and they're going to miss Deebo Samuel big time. The Chickens lose Zack Bailey at guard but replace him with Jovaughn Gwyn, a guy I personally really wish Clemson had gone on, and they got a lot more athletic there. They really need a left tackle after losing Dennis Daley and that could be their biggest hole on offense, and the thing that could get Bentley put in traction if they can't find a solution. Still, you figure, all in all this is a solid veteran unit. They rated 43rd out of 129 FBS teams - about a "B" on the bell curve, statistically - and that was with a new OC and a new scheme, and should be better than that this year with coaching continuity and all the returning talent they have...well, again, if they can keep Bentley upright and vertical.

Defensively I'm less sold that they're trending the right way, which is ironic given that Muschamp's a defensive coach. They were just 84 out of 129 last year - giving up 424.3 yards per game, which is a boatload - and that's a "D" grade on that aforementioned bell curve. And that secondary would frighten me if I was a Carolina fan...they lost 5 seniors to graduation and they had so many injuries last year I think I saw band members playing corner at the end of the season. Their depth chart on Ourlads.com doesn't even list a starting safety and has freshman JC Horn listed as both a starting and nickel corner, which is quite a trick...clearly they're going to have to find some warm bodies in a hurry. BUT, all that said, they do get almost all their front seven back...and they do add 5-star Zacch Pickens to the mix as an early enrollee. I saw Pickens play this year, folks, and he's unfortunately legit. He will help them - a lot, probably - and add that to guys like edge rusher DJ Wonnum and you've got a pretty salty front seven. They just better hope their band members can run real fast. They're likely going to need them, in that secondary.

I don't think they're a threat to Clemson, mind - if you aspire to challenge Clemson, you'd better be able to do something about Clemson's WR's, and that Gamecock secondary-depth-chart-to-be-determined isn't the way to get that done - but I do think they can at least hope to punch with the likes of Florida, Kentucky, and (maybe) UGA this year.

Bottom line is, they look to my eyes about dead even with, say, NC State over the last couple years. This is definitely not the most pathetic Gamecock squad I've seen, whatever. It'll be interesting to see if Muschamp can keep his head above water in the East, with Mullen - who is a durn good coach - now at UF, Kentucky upgrading, and Jeremy Pruitt bringing that (cough) Alabama approach to Tennessee's recruiting, and of course, UGA...if not, well, the Chickens could sink in a hurry. But - regrettably - they do look like a decent-to-good squad this year. FWIW. Which could actually be a good thing, since they're likely going to be a fair-to-decent warm-up for that December stretch run that we've gotten used to that includes both the ACC Championship Game and the playoffs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year

Feb 24, 2019, 7:33 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Williams the running back you referred to transferred last month.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:37 PM

Shows how much you “think” you really know. coot

Re: Williams the running back you referred to transferred last month.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:45 PM

You really don’t know the OP and his history of posts if you’re calling him a coot. Says more about you than him really.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:57 PM

mapman said:

You really don’t know the OP and his history of posts if you’re calling him a coot. Says more about you than him really.

Appreciate it. Relax, I'm un-offendable, though. Figured this post would ruffle some, uhm, feathers...but real football talk was slow, so hey, lob in a minor grenade and get stuff going.

What I was really doing was looking for teams that could challenge Clemson this year. I'm actually still looking. Regular season, I've got A&M...maybe. The Gamecocks are probably one of the next closest and Vegas will probably still favor us by at least three touchdowns.

2020 looks a lot less rosy for them. They lose at least 11 starters - probably more like 12 or 14 - and are starting over at QB. Hilinski had better be All That or that's going to be a hard fall.

I think there's a chance Hilinski takes over this year.

Feb 25, 2019, 6:08 AM

Jake Bentley is a mediocre college QB, and because of a lot of the things you mentioned plus the usual Gamecock delusion, expectations are going to be sky high. If they drop the UGA game and lose one they were "supposed" to win, the seat gets warm for Champ early on and I think the switch is inevitable.

Unless nepotism prevents it outright, which may also be the case.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2019, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Williams the running back you referred to transferred last month. ]

I have been on the site for sometime, I do not post much, but I read a lot of the post. In saying that I always read the post from the main Q. Always one of the most informed persons here.

Feb 25, 2019, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Williams the running back you referred to transferred last month. ]

It has never been a big thing with them having Jake the fake as QB. If any of our QB's would have had any season that Jake has had, we would have been screaming that he was BUST!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Williams the running back you referred to transferred last month. ]

I’m sorry I meant to TU and touched the wrong one., I agree

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 25, 2019, 6:40 AM

you gotta be careful about touching the wrong one.

Feb 25, 2019, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Williams the running back you referred to transferred last month. ]

LOL a coot calling quozzel a coot. That's a good one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2019, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Williams the running back you referred to transferred last month. ]

Yikes bud. That 48% pulse isn’t looking so dandy. So quozzel is a coot because he didn’t know a guy transferred? Makes sense. Quozzel would probably be the last guy on this board you should be calling a coot. You forget your coffee this morning? You sound grumpy.

Did you look at their 2019 schedule?

Feb 24, 2019, 7:38 PM

8-4 is optimistic!

They play Clemson, Alabama, UGA and TAMU.

After that they play Florida, TENN, KY and Missouri with KB.

Seems 8 wins is a difficult task and 10 is well "COOTISH"!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

If the past 2-3 years are any indication

Feb 25, 2019, 9:29 AM

Take what you think their record will be and add 2 to the win column, because they always find a way to win a couple games they had absolutely no business winning.

Their schedule looks like a 5-7 or 6-6 type of schedule for their talent. I'd expect them to be 7-5 or 8-4.

They have had 1 top 25 win in the last 3 years a hugly

Feb 25, 2019, 8:53 PM

over rated Tenn team in 2016, and people are predicting 8-4 when they play the top 3 teams and surely will lose and then they are only going to lose 1 out of the remaining 9 games. I just don't seen them going from 1 top 25 win in 3 years to 2 or 3 top 25 wins in one year and not losing to anyone else.

UVA 28-0

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that true?

Feb 25, 2019, 9:39 PM

1 top 25 win in 3 years.

I'm not sure that's possible when at least half the SEC is rated in the top 25 at any given time. They may suck, but you can never tell because they only play each other and Miss Sadie Sweettaffie State College.

Just hard to believe. (And I'm too lazy to check myself, so...)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

The Hoos probably disagree but this will be Muscoot's best

Feb 24, 2019, 7:39 PM

squad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Beak Year"***

Feb 24, 2019, 7:42 PM

I can't believe you actually got drunk on a Sunday . . .

to write that!

has anybody ever read all of one of his posts,not me, I believe in saying what you want to say in as few words as possible? But I am sure they are full of good info ..

Feb 24, 2019, 9:00 PM

Yes. I have.
But yes, I hope the coots go into next year thinking they’ll get 10 wins. It will be hilarious. With “the best QB in the SEC” and “the best WR corps in the Nation.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

oh don't worry, they always manage to believe it

Feb 25, 2019, 9:23 AM

I read all of his posts. I wish I woulda read less of yours.***

Feb 24, 2019, 10:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 24, 2019, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

I did read this.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 25, 2019, 2:15 PM

Me too, I read the whole thing;)

Feb 25, 2019, 12:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

Always read his posts, he has made some many great informative posts through the years. He is objective and realistic with his opinion. Just looking to get us talking about something football besides how many times we watched the 2nd National Championship win in 3 years.

We will be enjoying that subject at least to the 1st week of January 2020 when we will have a shot at 3 out of 4 National Championships! It’s a great time to be a Tiger and we never have to be worried about the coots beating us. We are going for 10 in a row over the coots and 3-1 over Bama in National Championship games!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 24, 2019, 7:43 PM

Alabama
Georgia
Clemson
Texas A&M
Florida
Kentucky
Tennessee
Missouri

For the coots to go 8-4, they would have to beat 4 of the above. I don’t see that happening.

They lose to Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia. The probably

Feb 24, 2019, 7:59 PM

lose to at least one of AtM and Florida. I think they can beat Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri. If they beat Fla or AtM then they have a shot at 8-4.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good in depth analysis as always by Q even though

Feb 24, 2019, 8:05 PM

I don’t agree with all of it. They’re not beating us, Bama, Georgia, TAMU or Florida. A 7-5 regular season is the ceiling for the chickens.

Kentucky is an easy win for them every year

Feb 24, 2019, 8:19 PM [ in reply to They lose to Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia. The probably ]

never have they predicted a loss against Kentucky

and every once in a while, a blind squirrel finds a nut...

Feb 25, 2019, 12:05 PM

...in this case, it would have taken 6 years for them to find that nut against Kentucky IF they get the "expected" win... I know very little about UK's roster turnover, but I AM HOPING that their two major losses, Snell and Allen, are replaced by some unknown beast modes and UK gets 6 in a row over the barnyard pimps... LOL

Stoops is a very good coach, and I don't think that UK is going to fall off the cliff as expected... there will always be growing pains replacing a Snell or Allen for them, but I would not expect Stoops to fall back to the UK norms or worse...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 8:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

Love Q’s post but I’ll be shocked if the Coots win 8 games this year against that schedule.

Jake Bentley is Jake Bentley. Average at best and doesn’t make good decisions in the pocket. The RBs, again good but not great by any stretch. Dowdle has hands of stone and isn’t a great runner between the tackles.

The WR corps was pedestrian with Deebo, they won’t be good. Edwards is such a good WR that the best WR coaches in America offered him as a Safety. After a few years they were right in that his hands are that of a safety. Shi Smith wasn’t good enough to get a Clemson offer and it’s clear why. He is a decent slot guy who is dependable but not impressive. The OLine to me was the most impressive unit from last year. They lose their best player like you said but have talent.

The defense. I agree the Hanna kid was a good player but unfortunately for him that defense is so bad he will be a big fish that gets tripled team every play bc there isn’t talent around him. Hopefully this year they fill a LB corps with players who look like mid major talent instead of H.S. talent like last year. The only decent player BAW is gone and the rest are just bad. The secondary has one good player in Horn and the rest are laughably bad. Their best safety is an average WR who should have listened to Dabo and co.

Come on Q, based on what they return and bring in, vs that schedule you can’t find 8 wins. I did an overly favorable best case for them where I was very generous giving them a Kentucky win... I got to 7 wins. Please tell me what their 8 are.

Feb 24, 2019, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

Please.

After us I can totally see them winning anyone of those games. Why do people give A&M so much credit? They’re trash! And we made them look 30 times better than what they really were.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Feb 24, 2019, 9:03 PM

Only at the end by A&M being extremely lucky.

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

my coot prediction is

Feb 25, 2019, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

6-6 in their peak season because it’s the 1st season they’ve played anybody in the last 4-5 seasons. They looked better with their record but go back and look at the competition. Michigan is the only decent team they have beaten.

Oh, don’t forget their last bowl game was 20-0 against UVA! Coots love spitting “weak ACC” but lost to a lowly coastal team UVA 20-0.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let’s Go Tigers!

Feb 24, 2019, 7:43 PM

do you really expect us to read all of that.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:51 PM

I would say that you are in a boat all by yourself on that notion Q.

Feb 24, 2019, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

It was actually interesting to read. Evidently the interweb has seriously atrophied the ability of many people to read more than one sentence. Heaven forbid they should try to read a book. It has more than one page. ????

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

TLdr

Feb 25, 2019, 10:49 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Feb 24, 2019, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

I read it, enjoyed it but took it as a grain of salt. Love it when Q talks Tiger football and Tiger recruiting.
I'll give 2 to 1 odds Q that usuc doesn't win 8 games!
Keep up the good work Q. I enjoy reading your post.

Feb 25, 2019, 12:44 AM

I still read books regularly and log posts very quickly!...lol ????

Let’s Go Tigers!

Cycling in?***

Feb 24, 2019, 7:49 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

zero points vs Virginia***

Feb 24, 2019, 8:03 PM

UofSC actually has a schedule where if they go 8-4, you could argue

Feb 24, 2019, 8:03 PM

they could be a top 10 team. Their schedule is absolutely brutal. They play at UGA, at Tex AM, Clemson and Bama.

Then they also play App St. 8-4 would be an incredible season with that schedule.

I agree that it will be Muschamp's best team, but that's not saying much. The record, however, will not reflect the improvement due to the difficult schedule.

Re: UofSC actually has a schedule where if they go 8-4, you could argue

Feb 24, 2019, 8:11 PM

Caddie said:

they could be a top 10 team. Their schedule is absolutely brutal. They play at UGA, at Tex AM, Clemson and Bama.

Then they also play App St. 8-4 would be an incredible season with that schedule.

I agree that it will be Muschamp's best team, but that's not saying much. The record, however, will not reflect the improvement due to the difficult schedule.

Ouch. That is insane when you look at it. I didn't realize they also got Bama this year.

So yeah, they're going to get pummeled at least a few times.

Also curious to see if they just plain had bad luck last year or if some of our veteran posters are right and something's off with their S&C, too, because they had guys falling out all over the place last year. Insane number of injuries. If that gets to be a trend they aren't going to stay competitive.

Here’s something I think is crazy

Feb 24, 2019, 8:16 PM

Texas, a 4 loss team, finished in the top ten last year. It’s still hard for me to wrap my mind around any four loss team being ranked in the top ten I don’t care who they beat.

well they beat uga who played alafrickingbama close***

Feb 24, 2019, 8:22 PM

We all know that’s what it was.

Feb 24, 2019, 8:38 PM

If all a team had to do was play a good team close we could’ve won at least one national championship with Tommy Bowden.

we were just a couple plays away from winning it all with TB***

Feb 25, 2019, 9:26 AM

Thatsnotsayingmuch***

Feb 24, 2019, 9:04 PM [ in reply to well they beat uga who played alafrickingbama close*** ]

44-16.

You're right. Texas had a couple good wins against

Feb 25, 2019, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Here’s something I think is crazy ]

Oklahoma and Georgia, but those losses to Maryland (5-7), Oklahoma (12-2), Oklahoma State (7-6) and West Virginia (8-4) should've been too much to be a top 10 team.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Here’s something I think is crazy

Feb 25, 2019, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Here’s something I think is crazy ]

Which team outside the top 10 deserved to be in there instead of them?

Syracuse, Kentucky, UCF just off the top of my head

Feb 25, 2019, 10:39 AM

I'm sure there's more...

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Feb 24, 2019, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Re: UofSC actually has a schedule where if they go 8-4, you could argue ]

It is an insane schedule and will probably end up with the #1 sos this year. I think you’re spot on with your analysis. If Bentley falters early and pulls a uva game, their fanbase will insist he play hellinski, ready or not.

I think they’ll slip up and beat tamu or fla. I could see one of those teams taking them lightly and slip. 7-5 is probably realistic although I’d really like to see them beat uga. The more uga chocks the better it helps us in recruiting.

All that said, the big donors want muschump to copy Clemson... never would admit it, but I have firsthand knowledge that the bot all the way down has been given that mandate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 8:55 PM

I live in NE Cola and even the most optimistic GC fan is shaking their head when studying the 2019 schedule. At the moment football largely isn’t being discussed.

Baseball, Women’s BB and belatedly Spring practice in that order. I see six 2019 wins and if really lucky seven, but a 4-8 outcome isn’t out of reach either, especially with injuries.

Go Tigers!

I tend to play the averages, and the averages for next year

Feb 25, 2019, 4:06 PM

give them losses against Clemson, bama, uga, fla, tamu...

toss ups against tenn and probable wins against app st, vandy, mizzou, chas south, & unc

tenn is at rocky top, so for me, the toss up goes to the home team... so, i'm fully expecting a 5-7 season and no bowl game...

Feb 25, 2019, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Re: UofSC actually has a schedule where if they go 8-4, you could argue ]

I agree with you 100% kerigantoo®, I hate coots and UGA about the same, but when the coots beat UGA, it does help us to take the elite guys out of the state of Georgia!!!

I always thought it was Under Armor shoes causing injuries

Feb 24, 2019, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Re: UofSC actually has a schedule where if they go 8-4, you could argue ]

. The shoes I've seen are actually quite good. Hard to explain all their injuries outside of bad luck.

Go Away Coot!***

Feb 24, 2019, 8:04 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 8:23 PM

Q, thanks as always for your great posts.

Even the Marianas Trench has high points.***

Feb 24, 2019, 8:38 PM

Feb 24, 2019, 8:46 PM

Muschamp's always been able to get talent. He's not proven he can do much with it, though.

Great defensive coordinator; not so great a HC.

Feb 24, 2019, 8:54 PM

There is no way this Sakerlina team is equal to NC State of recent years. The offense, maybe, but not the D. NCSU has had some very good DL recently, and the DBs were not burnt toast like the coot’s.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wanna bet !?!?!

Feb 24, 2019, 9:03 PM

I say 6 - 6 at best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Feb 24, 2019, 9:07 PM

Intelligent, well thought out post except for saying that they can punch with UGA. Clemson, Alabama and Georgia should be in a different tier than any other team this year (in my opinion)

Good analysis Q! Always enjoy your breakdowns.

Feb 24, 2019, 9:12 PM

Just curious, though ... was whoever you thought they are playing - instead of Alabama - one of the potential 8 wins?

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I don't know..The Gamecocks went 9-4 last year....

Feb 24, 2019, 9:21 PM

It'll be hard to top that. Oh wait, you're not talking about Jacksonville State, but South Carolina. Nope, not going to happen.

Beg to Differ....

Feb 24, 2019, 9:42 PM

You my friend are usually spot on but I believe you see things a little different than I. Unfortunately being married to a cootett, lady ####???, hen clucker or whatever, I have sat through one too many coot games last couple of years. Here is where I beg to differ due to what my eyes show me.

The problem with their O is that they do not have a game changer for a running back. They just cannot run the ball which is a real bad thing in the SEC. Although they have a few dudes up front, most SEC defensive lines have better dudes. Dowdle is not an anwser IMO. Turner is too small. Redshirt Soph back for them may be their best. And of course Jake is up and down. That will not change. They will have a serviceable B minus offense but without a game changer I see them in 21-34 ppg range at best.

On D; they cannot tackle. Period. Worst tackling team I can remember by any college at D1 level. A disgrace to Muschamp and crew. For sure D Line is upgraded with Pickens and Sandrige is a good tackle along with Kinlaw. So front 4 is stout but depth behind those is not great. After you break line of scrimage against them it is katy bar the door. Backers are slow and just cannot wrap up. Secondary as you have pointed out is non existant. Get the ball past front 4 and it will get ugly fast.

Bottom line to me. The ##### have potential to score and win some games if they can hold an inferior opponent to 30 or less. The problem is that SEC offenses are getting better. Frankly; A&M, Bama; Dawgs; Gators and Tigers will run roughshod over them. Thats 5 W’s guaranteed. They will most likely split Kentuck, Mizzou; Tenn; and App State. I say 5-7 season with 6-6 absolute best. Just hard to win games with a slow, poor tackling D combined with an offense with no explosive playmakers in any confetence much less SEC.

Re: Beg to Differ....

Feb 24, 2019, 11:34 PM

I think you nailed it LC. They actually may be a little better with some decent recruits coming in, but you never know how freshmen are going to help. Very few of them make the kind of impact that ardent fans think right off the bat. The problem is that they are not getting better in a vacuum. Just about all of the teams they play have gotten better and two of the winnable games are on the road (Missou & Tenn).

Re: Beg to Differ....

Feb 25, 2019, 1:08 AM [ in reply to Beg to Differ.... ]

They will count the Alabama game a win if they lose and are within 3 TD’s because they always become Bama fans when they play us.

If they finish 6-6 will muscoot get a raise? I say they want to keep him before somebody hires him away....lol

Coots coot!

Let’s Go Tigers!

UVA Says "Hi"***

Feb 24, 2019, 9:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 9:49 PM

They are going to suck because that's what they do.

Feb 24, 2019, 10:46 PM

6 wins will be a good year for them!

Great review but

Feb 24, 2019, 11:23 PM

How do they compare with, say...Virginia, on a neutral field?

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2019, 11:29 PM

good post and it made for a great thread. However, I don't think they will fare very well. Let's not forget the success they enjoyed against us in the 1st half last year was short lived. They obviously prepared 365 days for our game. They showed some looks they hadn't all season. Yet when it came down to it, BV made the adjustments and the 2nd half was a different story.

Feb 25, 2019, 1:45 AM

I’m sorry I corrected the hi and mighty quozzel..... guess that didn’t go over too well

Feb 25, 2019, 8:55 AM

LOL you didn't correct Quoz, you called him a coot. Coot. You clowns that hide behind tiger names get found out quick.

SMH.. you used the C word***

Feb 25, 2019, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a peak year ]

Feb 25, 2019, 8:42 AM

LOL, they will be lucky if they end up bowl eligible. Their schedule is brutal and without Deebo, they have no deep threat at WR.

Screw Calford.

Feb 25, 2019, 1:58 PM

You just gave them Breaking head line news over at FGF. After reading this in their head line, they will be googly eyed with snot running from their nose's with anticipation for the start of next season with them all saying that the state championship is the most important win for next season. With this coming from a Tiger fan, it will sound exactly like Tiger fear to them. Thanks for building their bubble bc, it's always awesome fun seeing it burst in their faces!!!!

Feb 25, 2019, 5:28 PM

"Don't look now, but the Gamecocks may be in a BLEAK year" - there ya' go quozzel, now get back on your meds. :)

Feb 25, 2019, 8:19 PM

A Bantam rooster , A chicken for a mascot

Feb 25, 2019, 8:22 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 25, 2019, 9:58 PM

Well if the Gamecocks peak in 2019, I'll be surprised.

The last time out, South Carolina put up zero points against Virginia. They did that without Deebo, who didn't care enough about his teammates to suit up and play with them one last time. His own personal future was more important to him.

Compare that to the sacrifices Clemson players made this year to have one more chance to be together and win it all. The Gamecocks don't come close to measuring up.

SC got to that bowl game with a chance to play Virginia by playing a game against nobody in front of almost nobody on their home field.

So the fans don't care. The players don't care. Most of the time their head coach has a thousand mile stare when his boys are playing.

In 2018 South Carolina had a 3 year starter back at QB and the same receivers and running backs they'll have next year. They finished 6th in offense in their league. Muschamp couldn't win in four years at Florida. He's not going to win in four years at South Carolina.

We'll see what the year brings. With a 4th year QB, they should be good offensively, but they most assuredly lost their best player from 2018. And their schedule is much tougher in 2019 than it has been in Muschamp's first 3 years.

I'd guess the Gamecocks win fewer games in 2019 than they did in 2018.

Feb 25, 2019, 11:20 PM

U had to be aware of the significant number of embeciles that reside here therefore the flames should not be a surprise-

What is the "embecile" population around.....

Feb 26, 2019, 8:01 AM

,,,,here?

One and counting I suppose.

Feb 26, 2019, 9:51 AM

Coots have NO running game.
Coots have an inconsistently passing game.
Coots are depleted on defense.

They will get hammered next season and be lucky to make a bowl game.

Feb 26, 2019, 11:18 AM

Don't forget they lost Josh Belk.

null

Replies: 87
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic