Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For you youngsters, who don't have a grasp of the hatred of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

For you youngsters, who don't have a grasp of the hatred of

Mar 25, 2013, 9:03 AM

ACC that you should. Here is a copy of an email I just sent to a Kansas client of mine congratulating him on his win over the Heels....

I am always happy when the Heels lose anything. Football, basketball,soccer,tennis,concrete canoe racing..............anything.You have no idea how many times Clemson has been screwed by referees in basketball and even in football. They run the ACC. A UNC grad is commissioner. He renogotiates the tv deal with ESPN, and the ESPN guy asks him what he can do to get the contract. Swofford( ACC commish and UNC grad,ex football player) says," Keep Jefferson Pilot in the deal". Jefferson Pilot has televised our conference since I was a kid. Butttt, that was not the only reason why he wanted them to stay in the deal. The President of Jefferson Pilot lives right down the street from Swofford! Buttttt, that is not the main reason Swofford wanted Jefferson Pilot....Nope. Swofford's son is the head salesman in charge of new business for Jefferson Pilot. The new business he got was the $50 Million dollar contract ESPN signed with Jefferson Pilot!! Sweet!

A little more history for you. When Clemson was given two years probation in the 80's, Swofford led the charge to get the ACC to give Clemson an extra year of probation. And it was not this slap on the wrist probation we see today.Heck no. It was NO TV,NO BOWLS,NO ELIGIBLITY for conference championships. And we would have won a couple more then too. Oh, and the watchword expressed by the conference back then was,WE HAVE TO MAINTAIN ACADEMIC INTEGRITY!

As far as officiating. Clemson fans can tell you the names of ACC refs who have screwed us royally over the past 50 years. Lenny Wortz,Mike Wood,and lately Karl Hess. During this year's ACC tournament, Hess was somehow drawn to referee at least two of UNC's games. He personally hates Clemson. During one stretch, we were 1-13 in games where he was the official.

Or, how about this one. A few years ago, a picture was taken of our football practice during the acclimation period. Our players had the little pads under their shorts like BASKETBALL players wear during games. Swofford immediately penalized Clemson for putting on pads too early and took away two of our practice sessions(I believe we were opening with Bama that year).Well, shortly thereafter, pictures showed up on the internet of North Carolina players wearing the same pads at their practice( and just as quickly those pictures disappeared from the internet). Well, when that happened, Swofford immediately reversed course. I think Clemson still received a reprimand, although I don't think anyone else did.

Years ago, Death Valley was so loud that the ACC came out with the "Too Loud" rule, whereby a team was warned for being so loud that the other team could not call their plays. First a warning, then a timeout was charged, then a penalty. I swear, I think we even got one on the road at NC State! Well, about this same time, the Duke basketball team came to Littlejohn, and Clemson did the first "Quiet Out" in history. Central Spirit set it up. They put Orange and WHites( The IPTAY Newspaper) over the back of every seat. Fans came in and sat and read the paper during all of the pregame warmups, prayers,singing of the National Anthems, all the way up to and including the introduction of the DUKE team. Dead Silence all the way through. I mean, you could literally hear a pin drop.Then, when the announcer said, "ANd now, starting for the Clemson Tigers!..."
Sonnnnnn, PANDEMONIUM broke out........(Clemson beat #1 Duke that day) Shortly thereafter, the ACC came out with the "You cannot be too quiet rule". AND I AM NOT KIDDING.

Going back to the Academic Integrity charge the ACC blasted Clemson with in the 80's,well, recently UNC was found guilty of recruiting violations by the NCAA. Players were paid by agents. Players parking tickets were paid for by agents, runners, and even some by tutors. Players academic work was done by tutors. Some players work was done by tutors for classes that did not even exist. I kid you not. Yet, the ACC and NCAA to date has not labeled the school with Institutional Control violations. Oh, by the way, you need to know, the lead NCAA investigator was a UNC grad...

And did I mention that the Conference Commissioner, John Swofford, an ex-UNC player and grad, has shown up at CWS games between UNC and another ACC team wearing Tarheel Blue colors and sitting behind their bench.

One more little barb. Last week, North Carolina was supposed to play Boston College in baseaball in "Chestnut Hill", Boston College's home. Well, the weather was bad and the field got soaked. The conference MOVED the series to Chapel Hill,North Carolina's home. Never heard of this in my life. Any other time, the games would have just been rained out. As a matter of fact, a couple of years back, Clemson was playing Duke in Durham in baseball, and Clemson was down a run I think with a couple of innings left and we may have even had runners on base(but my memory is bad on this one) and the DUKE officials apparently got a lightening warning with blue skies and had the field covered. Even worse, they sent the ground grew home, so that once the field could be uncovered, there was no one to do it. When the Clemson Baseball team offered to do it, they were told they could not because of liability issues.

And don't get me started on Time Keeping issues......

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For you youngsters, who don't have a grasp of the hatred of

Mar 25, 2013, 9:07 AM

thanks. nice to see we share the same high regard of the conference and its pet school

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2013, 9:28 AM

Swoffy is a uncheat homer, no doubt, but I believe he is just as much a Clemson hater. We've certainly been a major carrier of cash to the conference coffers through the years, but we get no regard from that sad sack. Remember, in the ND negotiations it was brought out that Football represented about 80% of the revenues. I'd say we have been a major factor in the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2013, 9:24 AM

CU fans did in fact get a "too loud" penality in Raleigh against NC State. I was @ the game. Seems to me it was about '76, '77, '78 somewhere in that period of time.

Hate is a strong word

Mar 25, 2013, 9:29 AM

but not strong enough ;)

Well said and gets me fired up!!!!***

Mar 25, 2013, 9:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even during my years at CU from 1965-1969, when we

Mar 25, 2013, 9:42 AM

won the football ACC championship three of those years, it was hardly a blip on the screen, as we cared more about the Clemson/South Carolina game. Honestly, most Clemson AND South Carolina people believed the ACC to be controlled by the NC schools, which gave short shrift to both CU and SC.

When the additional penalties were tacked on in the 80's, many of us wanted to bolt then by announcing that although we would accept the penalty, we would bolt immediately thereafter. Thus, many of us older folks have had no love for the conference for a long time.

That being said, the problem now appears to be the commitment made by Clemson, first by supporting the expansion and sweatheart deal for ND, then by supporting the $50 million buy-out. And there's been little talk about a move since. If we're going to remain a member, then I believe we have to assert ourselves when and where possible and take strong steps to continue building our programs...all of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2013, 9:48 AM

That Duke-rain tarp incident...as I recall, we had hit a home run to either go ahead or tie the game, and they pulled the tarp prior to the end of the inning so the inning didn't count.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 25, 2013, 9:51 AM

Well I certainly enjoyed yesterday's game when the score was 14-4 uncheat - and Kansas scored 11-0 to take the lead. Funny stuff watching those tarhole fans crying in their wine.

Did I mention that I also despise uncheat. That includes swofford.

I wish I could give you 100 points! I don't know when the

Mar 25, 2013, 9:56 AM

"quiet out" against Duke took place, but I was at the basketball game against Maryland when we did that around 1974.

The UNC/Tobacco road bias has at times been blatant, and at other times it has been subtle, but it has undeniably been there as long as I can remember.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I wish I could give you 100 points! I don't know when the

Mar 25, 2013, 10:27 AM

UNC has been cheating in sports for so long they call it strategies for winning. Keeping athletes eligible has been a key to their recruiting success. They do it with fake classes.

What is funny is that most people think it was the Butch Davis football scandal but it was really a basketball issue for so many years. When Davis came on board with his dummies, he tagged on to the basketball scam and the lid came off.

The ncaa is trying to keep the lid on at UNCheats. When you hear that Swofford stuck it to Clemson, take it to the bank.

Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk( son attended KU)

Mar 25, 2013, 10:27 AM

My son spent a semester studying at KU. he said they hate all things NC or Roy in general.he would wear his Clemson hat to class, so students, professors would stop him and discuss the ACC and hatred of roy quite often. he enjoyed his time at KU oddly enough he chose to attend during basketball season. I have no problem at all pulling for KU and all things that hate NC and Roy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not to mention Jim Lampley, AFAM, the baseball conference

Mar 25, 2013, 11:16 AM

tournament moved out of Greenville because it supposedly gave Clemson home field advantage. Now most conference tournaments and championships are in North Carolina.
In fact, I remember bias as far back as 1974 when I was a kid: Clemson beat UNC, coached by Vince Dooley's brother Bill, 54-32 in FB as part of an undefeated home season
to go 7-4 and wasn't invited to a bowl game while UNC, also 7-4, was - justice was served as they lost to Miss. State in the Sun Bowl.
They haven't won the ACC in FB, the money sport, since 1980.

Mar 25, 2013, 11:36 AM

You go spud ! Swofford is like the overflowed porta Jon . You still open the door just to see what kinda sh.. Is pouring out his mouth !!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm an old-timer and lived in NC

Mar 25, 2013, 11:51 AM

from 1974 until 1995 and all my wife's folks are Turdheels. I assure you my hatred of them matches anyone and I love this post Stud!!! Hope you get a million points for this one.

One fun memory, I got some tix for the UNC/Clemson game in Chapel Hole in the mid-90's. I sat in the middle of the Rams Club with my best friend, a Clemson grad. It was about 36 degrees, raining sideways and we talked junk the entire game. Got into several shouting/pushing confrontations while the game was close. In the second half, it was big Rudy for about 5 yards a play. The word is we were telling them our play at the LOS and they couldn't stop it.

Man, talk about a fun football game!! We stay hooting and hollering in the RAMS club bleachers until the lights went out!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game. My recollection is that there weren't

Mar 26, 2013, 1:35 PM

enough Tar Heel fans there in the 2nd half to get in a fight with! :)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You tell them Spud.***

Mar 25, 2013, 12:26 PM

Just here to bring joy to all the UNCheat haters...

Mar 25, 2013, 1:47 PM

That one needs to be saved until the proper moment to

Mar 25, 2013, 11:43 PM

replay it on the Jumbotron..............

If you have allowed yourself to calm down...

Mar 26, 2013, 10:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPf1jpE67I8

Duke/Clemson at Durham 2008

Mar 26, 2013, 1:22 PM

Chad Swofford

Chad Swofford
Senior Director, New Media and Business Development

Joined Raycom in 2007 as Manager of ACC Marketing and was named Director of New Media & Marketing in 2009. He currently oversees all web and mobile initiatives for Raycom and the ACC Network, in addition to managing the ACC Digital Network. He is a graduate of the University of North Carolina and is an alumnus of Ohio University’s School of Sports Management graduate program. He worked at Boston College prior to joining Raycom.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic