Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
unfortunately for coach bb, todays game is wins and losses
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,388

unfortunately for coach bb, todays game is wins and losses

Feb 17, 2019, 12:44 PM

i think like most he is a good guy and coach but our losses to teams we should beat are tough to take and when we have a chance to beat a good team we cant get it done.
losing is what is most associated with clemson basketball and the n.c. state the miami and louisville game is the poster for clemson basketball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Having lived in the Triangle area for over 20 years and

Feb 17, 2019, 1:23 PM

and matriculated to one of the many universities in the area (grad school), I like to think I have a reasonable grasp on the opinion of Clemson basketball historically forged by ACC basketball fans and media in Raleigh, Durham and chapelhole.......and its NOT good. In point of fact, its a collective opinion that gives absolutely no respect to the Clemson basketball program at all---even though they'll concede the occasional loss to the Tigers.

They are to a man & woman resolute in their conviction that Clemson abandoned any hope of legitimate competitiveness in ACC basketball decades ago when they were all establishing extremely strong foundations in the sport, hiring big name coaches, refurbishing old arenas or constructing state-of-the-art new coliseums. Clemson,as an athletic entity, barely payed nominal attention to the sport of basketball and some powerful folk(s) in the AD were long content to let the sport remain in the basement of FIke.

Recruiting opportunities were forfeited because of lack of support for the basketball program while cheatin' Frank McGuire ran the thug factory at usuck, relationships with HS basketball coaches were forfeited (a MAJOR exception being in LaGrange, Ga!)....and after Press Maravich left the Head Coach job at CLemson for an Assistants job elsewhere, the HC job became a tour stop instead of a destination.

Without re-hashing Clemson's entire basketball history, let us simply concede that omission of major support and long term strategy during crucial decades in the past has put the Tiger program behind the proverbial 8 ball.

Will they/we be able to overcome all the missteps and dismal historical record?? Its going to be very difficult to try and gain a foothold against the other imperial programs in the ACC....but it must be acknowledged that total dedication and triple the focus by the AD, the university and IPTAY would be
required.

I'd love to see those goals attained in the years I have left.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're crazy.

Feb 17, 2019, 1:45 PM

All we need is a young up-and-comer who has a passion for basketball, who is a great recruiter, and we will be the talk of college basketball. It's that simple! We are wasting our time with Brownell, who is obviously a bad recruiter and horrible coach, since he can't get better recruits to come to Clemson with our amazing facilities and top notch football program! He should ask Dabo for advice, because he's clueless!

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: You're crazy.

Feb 17, 2019, 2:05 PM

now you're just bitter. or Brad's mom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I'm actually laughing at all of the people that think

Feb 17, 2019, 2:13 PM

it's so easy to hire a great coach who will bring us basketball success. All we need is a young, driven coach who recruits well, and - ta da - we are a great basketball program. Simple!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

That may be your best post ever.

Feb 17, 2019, 3:52 PM [ in reply to You're crazy. ]

Too bad you weren't serious.

Young up-and-comer who wins big at Clemson will leave.

Feb 17, 2019, 11:27 PM [ in reply to You're crazy. ]

You can count on that as sure as the sun rising in the east.

Our good fortune in getting Dabo for football has absolutely no bearing on what it would take to make basketball a big winner.

And the odds against Clemson finding two Dabo’s is astronomical.

Tigerjm76 is spot on in his assessment.

Oh wait ... I just noticed your winky emoticon ... so never mind ??

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unfortunately for Clemson

Feb 17, 2019, 1:29 PM

Basketball has seldom given the investment on par with football. It's been merely another sport under the athletic department. It's history is summed up as Littlejohn was built...Tates Locke cheated...Clemson started anew with Bill Foster, then Cliff Ellis...could have been serious when Barnes was hired, but...nope...let him walk and let the Shyatt hit the fan.

Along comes Oliver...who tried to out-athlete the ACC, which worked to a point, but he couldn't 'in-game' adjust to save his life. He scooted out of town for all the wrong...and right reasons. Brownell is hired...and, hey!

Wait a minute! Is there talk of investing in facilities? Seriously? Let me sit down...feeling faint! Talk...talk...oops! We're building...nope...we're renovating. Yep...renovating...you know...down-size the arena. That's a message...right or wrong? OK...carry on. I'm sure renovating resonates with recruits...they'll be attracted. Play off campus one year...no problema...right. We're Clemson (please don't look at history...closely) and ACC. Oh, yeah...we don't chant that. It's an SEC thing...like crowing in Columbia, only different.

So, two years post-renovation...Sweet 16...somehow, by the grace of the hoops gods and the patience a coach 'not named Brownlee' helped accomplish. Now, there's talk of the incoming class being one of the best ever and yet...Brownell must go. A semi-investment in a, let's be honest...putrid program, historically, is supposed to magically transform Clemson hoops overnight. A coach, who stood by, far too patiently in many respects, while the AD made up its'mind, should overcome ALL of these obstacles overnight.

This is Clemson basketball...supposedly supported by a bunch of 'fans' who have no idea why any of the history should matter. They want wins...like a Pharoah issuing an edict, "It is said, so it shall be." Uh huh...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post! So true!***

Feb 17, 2019, 1:41 PM

Kinda ironic that Tates Lockes major faux pas (but not only)

Feb 17, 2019, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately for Clemson ]

was offering to buy a house for Moses Malone's family.....

and now, the FBI has on audiotape a Duke staffer discussing housing and employment for Zion Williamson's family. I suppose we'll eventually see some sort of retribution against the Blue Devil program....or maybe not

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unfortunately for Clemson

Feb 17, 2019, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Unfortunately for Clemson ]

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that our last 3 losses (and some earlier losses .. Nebraska & MSU) are the poster child of Clemson basketball. Last year in those same types of games the ball was falling for us and not for our opponent. So last year BB could coach and this year he can't? I think we have a darn good basketball team and have actually gotten better, while the W's and L's have not been what we want. I am glad the team has not gotten as discouraged as the fans.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Which ACC programs do you think we are superior to?

Feb 17, 2019, 1:40 PM

For reference, here's the list of the other ACC schools:

Boston College
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Miami
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Historically, all are better than us at basketball with the possible exception of Virginia Tech. However, their overall winning percentage is much better than ours (.545 vs .503).

I'm not sure how you judge teams we "should" beat, whether it be based on historical success, recent success, or a more subjective criteria such as how good you think our program should be. But the only ACC loss this year to a team I feel we are clearly superior to this year is Miami.

Re: Which ACC programs do you think we are superior to?

Feb 17, 2019, 3:36 PM

After 50 years I can accept that we are handicapped in recruiting. We get some gems but have to rely om developing players over several years. Brownell has not been successful in that endeavor. When we get a quality player coach has not moved them forward, ex. it took four years for Granthum to make visible consistent progress and the sketchy improvement for Simms is another example. I can accept the constant middle road with spurts but i do have expectations of discipline play. In the last three losses we had 45 tos, 9/39 3's while our opponents were 34 and 25/68, plus many of the to's were lazy and would get a HS player benched and the 3's were just not good shots, and this is with a starting team of 4 seniors and 1 soph. This is coaching.In the past we had some success in the pros but that has slowed as our "wow" players have not been competitive. Even if we got the big names it is hard to see coach developing them.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,388
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic