Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With Deshaun's and now White's 2 ACL injuries
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,643

With Deshaun's and now White's 2 ACL injuries

Aug 19, 2018, 10:03 AM

Does anyone that knows the research know how well ACL's hold up post repair these days? Any AT's/PT's on this board with sold research that looks into this?

I know Terry Allen ran for over 1,000 yards in the NFL after 2 ACL repairs, and medicine has greatly increased in that area since.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With Deshaun's and now White's 2 ACL injuries

Aug 19, 2018, 10:18 AM

As long as you rehab properly doctors say they are even stronger as far as the ligament. If they don't rehab properly though they may have discomfort and mobility issues due to scar tissue and what not. It's not that it will tear any easier. They have come really far and torn ACL's are temporary setbacks. They just have to go through pain, misery, and hard work to comeback stronger than ever. Then they have to trust it. If a 280lbs DE goes hard into Deshaun's knee it could blow it out like anyone's knee. It's not as if it is now weaker where if he is just cutting while running it will just blow out now. As a matter of fact, I bet he never tears an ACL again, unless somebody smashes into his knee at full speed with a cheap shot. I tore my ACL and rehabbed it, so I kind of follow the issue.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had my left ACL repaired s/p skiing injury

Aug 19, 2018, 10:51 AM

~2000 and it still gives me issues. Mine was a patellar tendon graft, which I heard is rarely done anymore. I am sure for athletes, they use cadaver graft, at least I heard they did a few years ago. It changes so rapidly that it is hard to keep track of.

There was an article posted on reddit recently

Aug 19, 2018, 10:27 AM

About this topic and ironically Georgia.

The article itself is behind a paywall but a guy who I assume is in the medical field posted some very enlightening and detailed comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/96p2t8/the_athletic_how_georgia_is_getting_players_back/e4279hh

Here is the main one.
"I didn’t read the article but I am in the middle of my research on ACL’s so I have done a literature review on the current best practices. Basically a huge change from past rehabs is we will now delay surgery for a few weeks. Basically we “prehab” the knee and strengthen it as much as we can before repairing it. You don’t need an acl to do everyday activity, so our motto is the day you feel like you don’t need to have your acl repaired is the day we put you in surgery.

Also, it has been found that after tearing your acl, you lose a lot of neuromuscular function in your non injured knee, which leads to an increased risk of tearing your other acl. However, this crossover works the other way, so while we have the injured knee immobilized, we will rehab the non injured knee. This phenomenon is also used in return to play decisions. Previously, we would base a return to play on getting the injured knee strength and range of motion equal to the non injured knee. Since we now know that the non injured knee is also weaker, we were putting people back in less than 100%

Finally, another advancement is the idea of neuromuscular training. (As a side note this is what my research is in so it’s more of a new field and isn’t as widely utilized). In the past, most rehab was only focused on strengthening the knee and surrounding muscles and range of motion. What I’m looking at is how effective neuromuscular training is in reducing injury risk. We know that when an acl is torn, there is a major change in brain activity where certain areas of the brain (mostly areas that focus on vision and motor function) increase in activity, while other areas (like sensory areas) decrease in activity. This is likely due to the mechanoreceptors in the acl getting destroyed, which are impossible to repair. This leads to an increased reliance on visual feedback instead of proprioception. In rehab, it’s easy for an athlete to be able to focus on their knee to make it do what we want it to. But when they’re on the field, they can’t spend the whole time devoting their attention to their knee while also catching, throwing, and avoiding other players. This has led a lot of clinicians to design rehab exercises where the athlete has to dual task, whether it be balancing on one leg while doing math problems or exercises that simulate game situations. "

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great article!***

Aug 19, 2018, 10:48 AM

Re: With Deshaun's and now White's 2 ACL injuries

Aug 19, 2018, 2:45 PM

Watson and White have torn each ACL once.

It depends on the overall severity of the injury. Watson's injuries were non-contact and there were no complications. Marcus Lattimore, on the other hand, had a much more severe injury and was never the same.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,643
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic