Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Trump and spending
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Trump and spending

Jul 23, 2019, 10:45 AM

Trump: My 2020 campaign will focus on cutting spending.

Also Trump: Look! More spending!

CT88, went you on here claiming he'll actually cut our spending?

The faster all of y'all realize he's not a conservative or a Republican, the better you'll see the world and smarter you'll vote. At least some GOP members are pushing back on this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/trump-announces-support-for-two-year-bipartisan-budget-deal-that-boosts-spending-suspends-debt-limit/2019/07/22/94cf2172-acb6-11e9-8e77-03b30bc29f64_story.html?fbclid=IwAR1YkT4446xHD1s0DT6Z3liG-RqajVGUob3WOdKV7y64Ah6pvOeeCPxFn8Q&noredirect=on&utm_term=.866895578a0e

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

What would you have done?

Jul 23, 2019, 10:52 AM

I'm upset that he signed another omnibus bill but he forced a gov shutdown and liberals covered themselves with sackcloth and ashes and rent their clothes.

If he cured cancer you'd focus on the jobs lost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'll defend him no matter what at this point, right?

Jul 23, 2019, 10:59 AM

You know he's a sinking ship and in no way, shape, or form a conservative, but at this point, you're pot committed. You know this decision is a very bad one for our country and a blatantly political move by him and the Dems, but you can't bring yourself to oppose one of the worst presidents in U.S. history.

I predict 10 years from now, you'll pull an xtiger and claim you never liked him (like X does with Bush).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

If he's not a conservative, then he's a liberal?

Jul 23, 2019, 3:50 PM

Did you vote for him, then?

BTW Catahoula , I saw a Catahoula Street on US 76 between Westminster and Long Creek, SC. That you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If he's not a conservative, then he's a liberal?

Jul 23, 2019, 9:06 PM

He doesn't know what he is except just man in it for himself. He has no political ideology other than the ideology of Trump. He's just fooled naive people (you) into thinking he is a conservative Republican. If you actually bothered to research his life, you would know that he isn't that.

I have multiple streets named after me cause I'm awesome.

That's some weak sauce there...

Jul 23, 2019, 11:00 AM [ in reply to What would you have done? ]

how about he propose a plan to reduce or curtail the growth of spending.

He submits a budget every year. He had both houses of Congress his 1st 2 years...where was his transformational budget? Where are HIS ideas? Where is HIS leadership?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly.

Jul 23, 2019, 11:03 AM

Trump and the GOP had complete, unfettered ability to cut spending for the first two years of his presidency and they didn't do it. Now it's only going to get worse.

The Dems and Obama did a phenomal job of fractruring

Jul 23, 2019, 11:17 AM

the GOP with the air of "RussiaGate"

That and that alone derailed his mandate.

The Dems won that session of congress.

I hoping for a GOP sweep in '20

umm yeah, that's BS...

Jul 23, 2019, 11:22 AM

The Russia thing had absolutely zero to do with Trump and spending. Come on.

He had Paul Ryan as Speaker who, more so than any of modern Speaker I can think of with the same party as the POTUS was willing to take on entitlement and general budget reform. They were all paralyzed politically by having a loose nut in the WH with the literal bully pulpit. Had Trump seriously wanted to reform the budget, he could have gotten it through the House, no problem.

The issue is that he is personally devoid of ideas and conviction and no one in the GOP was willing to step out on anything that Trump had no sanctioned because he could not be trusted not to under-cut them along the way. [I don't necessarily excuse that behavior in the House fwiw]

Re: The Dems and Obama did a phenomal job of fractruring

Jul 23, 2019, 12:08 PM [ in reply to The Dems and Obama did a phenomal job of fractruring ]

So basically, the pubs were cowards for not doing what they should have when they had the chance. Now they blame it on the Dems for not going along with their plans. The Dems sacked up and did it with the ACA. They paid dearly for it but did what they thought was right and what needed to be done. The pubs slinked by and refused to do anything because they are a feckless and spineless bunch that almost never pass anything when given the chance (at least the modern version of the party).

Riiiiiight.

Jul 23, 2019, 2:42 PM [ in reply to The Dems and Obama did a phenomal job of fractruring ]

Sure. That really stopped them from exercising fiscal responsibility. Okay.

They will probably become fiscal hawks again

Jul 23, 2019, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Exactly. ]

If/when the Democrats take control of the White House and the House.

Rinse and repeat.

You'll be amazed at how much deficit spending suddenly

Jul 23, 2019, 12:17 PM

matters again!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You'll be amazed at how much deficit spending suddenly

Jul 23, 2019, 12:52 PM

from Paul Ryan's own mouth, running up huge deficits gives the GOP leverage to cut social welfare spending and safety nets. That is their end game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^rolls eyes^***

Jul 23, 2019, 1:01 PM

Re: ^rolls eyes^***

Jul 23, 2019, 1:29 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/12/01/gop-eyes-post-tax-cut-changes-to-welfare-medicare-and-social-security/?utm_term=.49b95fb57983

and when your policies are this unpopular, it may be a good idea to pretend that you care about abortion, the 2nd amendment, and the good old southern strategy to carve out votes.

You guys continue to eat this shit up as if the GOP actually cares about anything outside of lavishing Big Business with gifts.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How in the world does this article support your "points"?***

Jul 23, 2019, 3:03 PM

Dont All spending bills originate in the House if Reps?

Jul 23, 2019, 11:10 AM

should he veto? Sure

But saying he isnt a republican is like saying Reagan wasnt because he had to negotiate with Tip Oneal

Spending bills for originate in the HOR, but the POTUS....

Jul 23, 2019, 11:23 AM

submits a budget too.

See my other post above on this subject.

"do originate"***

Jul 23, 2019, 11:24 AM

And they are always summarily ignored

Jul 23, 2019, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Spending bills for originate in the HOR, but the POTUS.... ]

Bush's were ignored. Obama's was ignored. Trump's is ignored. Back when Congress respected the President the budget submitted by the executive mattered. Today it doesn't. Because we're broke. The President will sign whatever Congress sends, or we shut down. Congress knows this. They will do what they want to do because we have no other option, nor does the President.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That doesn't sound remotely like leadership.

Jul 23, 2019, 11:31 AM

You're telling me Trump couldn't bend Congress in any direction he likes regarding spending? He does so on literally everything else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. If a President could do that, we would have cut

Jul 23, 2019, 11:53 AM

spending. Every budget from here on out is out of the President's control (party doesn't matter), unless he wants to really cause problems with a prolonged shutdown. They raise the debt ceiling each time (or suspend it as they did this time) just enough to pass a budget, so this way when the next budget is due, Congress has the leverage once again. Shutdown then default on debt, or sign our budget Mr. President.

For some insight, Trump's LOWEST ever approval ratings are higher than Congress has had in 20 years.

Trump doesn't bend Congress. Obama didn't bend Congress. Bush didn't bend Congress. Clinton DID bend Congress, briefly, FWIW. And that just so happened to be during the brief period when he enjoyed the line item veto, which just happens to be the last time we managed to balance a budget. Not a coincidence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait...what?....

Jul 23, 2019, 2:57 PM

You're not suggesting that the budget was balanced under Clinton because of the line item veto, are you?

That's not true at all...

Jul 23, 2019, 2:50 PM [ in reply to And they are always summarily ignored ]

What the POTUS signals as priorities does matter still...especially with like-party control.

You're kidding yourself if you think if Trump were to have come out with major budget reform that the GOP-controlled House wouldn't have taken it up. Come on.

Well, with a GOP Congress he never got money for a wall.

Jul 23, 2019, 3:01 PM

Obama never got immigration reform passed or a $15 minimum wage. As for spending, Obama's budgets were a joke, even among dems when they controlled the House and Senate. Same for Trump even when he had a majority in Congress. He can have all the priorities he wants, but they have the shutdown card, and they have the pocketbook, and there's nothing in it for them to do his bidding. They know he won't shut down the government and lead us to default on our massive debt.

I don't have time to research, but I'm pretty sure Trump's..

Jul 23, 2019, 3:05 PM

budgets when GOP controlled the House did NOT include funding for the wall. It wasn't until the dems took the House that wall funding became a do or die issue.

Because we can't build one.

Jul 23, 2019, 3:18 PM

We can't stop illegal immigration. We can. Economically we can't. Same for the infamous $15/hr minimum wage that circulated since Obama's presidency. This is all my point. Obama's budgets were trashed by the GOP AND DEMS. Same for Trump. Same for Bush. Bush wanted Social Security reforms. Never happened. Deaf ears. The President is supposed to have influence with the power of the veto. Congress is NOT supposed to have the power to do whatever they want with a shutdown and default threat in their back pocket. That's why we're just spending more and making everyone happy.

What?...

Jul 23, 2019, 3:32 PM

You said Congress didn't fund the wall as an example of Congress not following a POTUS's budget.

I'm saying I'm pretty sure the wall funding wasn't in the budget during GOP House control....and your reply is "We can't stop illegal immigration"?

What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

Well, chew on this (pun intended). Here's $2.5B in savings

Jul 23, 2019, 11:31 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-administration-to-propose-rule-that-would-cut-3-1-million-people-from-food-stamp-program-report

#leftgoesnuts

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

So you like the solution that takes 2.5B from

Jul 23, 2019, 11:48 AM

the least among us? I know some poor folks game the system and that pi$$es off foxnews republicans, but there are over 600 billionaires in the US that also gamed the h3ll outta the system to help amass their fortunes. It's easy to find money, but the poor have no power to stop you from taking it. A billionaire will fight you tooth and nail for a dollar and he's got the means to win the fight.

If they're ineligible to receive the benefits under the

Jul 23, 2019, 11:51 AM

current law, then lobby congress to change the law.

Because the can, as you said "game the system" doesn't make it right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

How many poor single parent families do you know

Jul 23, 2019, 11:57 AM

that can afford a lobbyist? C'mon man. I don't support creating a second underclass of citizens just because they can't afford representation. Nobody should want that.

Re: So you like the solution that takes 2.5B from

Jul 23, 2019, 12:22 PM [ in reply to So you like the solution that takes 2.5B from ]

Most people who use those programs are fox news republicans. However, they are all willing to tell you how they earned it unlike all the other lazy people out there who are sponging off the system.

Nothing screams WWJD more than cutting food to the poor lol***

Jul 23, 2019, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Well, chew on this (pun intended). Here's $2.5B in savings ]

lemme guess, the system isn't being abused at all, right?

Jul 23, 2019, 2:38 PM

They're all homeless elderly veterans who would totally go get a legitimate job and move off the food stamps if they hadn't lost their limbs while battling the Spanish Armada at the Alamo. Just like every single illegal immigrant/asylum seeker is coming here because they faced daily if not hourly rapes and roving murder squads who turned "The Purge" from a movie into a lifestyle.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know what that has to do with what I said***

Jul 23, 2019, 3:28 PM

There's always an excuse for so-called Christians to do the exact opposite of what Jesus would do.

read it again. then again. then 10 more times.

Jul 23, 2019, 3:50 PM

It'll sink in sooner or later.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just another Pharisee - preach one thing, act on another***

Jul 25, 2019, 10:56 AM

Re: Just another Pharisee - preach one thing, act on another***

Jul 25, 2019, 11:18 AM

“For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: ‘The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.’ We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat.” - 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12

There's always an excuse for not doing what's right

Jul 26, 2019, 11:06 AM

If I've learned anything growing up Southern Baptist, is that there are no bigger hypocrites on planet earth than Christians.

Leviticus 19

When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him.
The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

ahh, so originally I should be more Christian and I'm

Jul 26, 2019, 4:25 PM

a Pharisee, now Christians are stupid.

Keep moving those goalposts and thinking you have the intellectual and moral high ground.

Pee-Ess....if you're going to start out the thread with a

Jul 26, 2019, 4:27 PM [ in reply to There's always an excuse for not doing what's right ]

WWJD shot across the bow, you might want to pick a New Testament book for your rebuttal. But I'm just a stupid hypocritical Christian, what do I know?

Actually, nothing scream WWJD than using a wasteful...

Jul 23, 2019, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Nothing screams WWJD more than cutting food to the poor lol*** ]

federal government to administer charity. (being sarcastic as OP was)

If Jesus taught us anything, it's that those that are blessed have a responsibility to use their blessings wisely. In my book, putting the federal gov in charge of charity for the poor is not being wise.

You want the US Government to be more Christian?

Jul 23, 2019, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Nothing screams WWJD more than cutting food to the poor lol*** ]

or is this just you being selective with your morality?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: You want the US Government to be more Christian?

Jul 23, 2019, 10:06 PM

Maybe he just wants so-called "conservative Christians" to actually act like they are just that.

Jul 23, 2019, 10:24 PM

Well, that is rich coming from someone who doesn't really know what being a Christian is ALL about.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 5:41 PM

Clearly I don't. I previously thought it was about loving your fellow man (regardless of his politics, social status, race, etc.) and reaching out to those in need. You and some others here have taught me that it's very much the opposite.

Jul 25, 2019, 7:31 AM

So, back to the original question for you too; Do you want the US Government to be more Christian? Because Christianity is a individual pursuit to live by Biblical principles, not a system of national government.

you saying he's a Democrat? How would any democrat

Jul 23, 2019, 12:12 PM

do any better?

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Until 2012, yeah.***

Jul 23, 2019, 12:18 PM

####, we cant even take the Special Olympics out of the

Jul 23, 2019, 12:17 PM

Education budget without people sh#tt#ng themselves...and you blame cTruMp?

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

I really wish you would ask me if I care....

Jul 23, 2019, 1:37 PM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Catahoula: Nutless Wonder

Jul 24, 2019, 8:12 PM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Trump is a massive disappointment on spending, however

Jul 23, 2019, 2:13 PM

It probably isn’t the best “gotcha” for anyone who didn’t vote for Ron or Rand Paul in the last two Primaries, and they aren’t even squeaky clean on the topic.

Nobody, nobody has the nuts to cut spending anymore, much less talk about needed belt-tightening. Perot (he keeps coming up a lot lately) was the last guy to actually talk about it and be honest that it might suck for a short while.

I’m not sure where to turn on the topic anymore. Seems like a date with inevitability at this point.

Re: Trump is a massive disappointment on spending, however

Jul 23, 2019, 9:08 PM

My only point is that Trump is neither a conservative nor a Republican, which has been the idiotic banter of his supporters against anyone who doesn't support him. They're called a libtard or whatever.

I'll state it clearly: People who support Trump are idiots who don't understand politics or what they believe in.

You're smarter than that.

Jul 23, 2019, 9:25 PM

That kind of emotional, sweeping generalization not only indicates someone devoid of empathy, but also someone who is susceptible to getting burned due to their inability to perceive and process nuance.

People who support Trump regardless of what he does and see him doing no wrong? Yeah, lemmings, but there are lemmings who do that with Bernie, did that with Hillary, Bush, McCain and every Presidential candidate prior, and will do that with Biden. Even worse, there are lemmings who do it at the party level and blindly follow Dems or Pubs to the ends of the Earth without fail.

With these people, Trump isn't the problem any more than anyone else I mentioned is...the lemmings are, and their numbers multiply yearly across all ideologies.

There are also people who understand perfectly well what Trump is, and get labeled Trump supporters simply by virtue of not taking every opportunity to shout from the rafters that he should be impeached ASAP. These people don't support Trump, they just don't see any alternative that they consider better, and many they consider worse. These people are quite pragmatic, are independent thinkers, and the world could use a few more of them on both sides of the aisle.

As for Trump's ideology? He has none. He's not conservative or traditional Republican, and he's not liberal or traditional Democrat. He's the ultimate populist and will go with whatever action his internal focus group tells him will be the most popular for him. The man's favorite color is plaid. Some of these decisions have worked out well for me personally--in fact more have than not. Some have sucked and I think will cause future pains. What really sucks though, just as much as those who think he walks on water, is those who can't make the same "balance sheet" type analysis because they're so drunk with rage that everything within his sphere of influence must be evil and horrible for the planet at large.

Re: You're smarter than that.

Jul 24, 2019, 12:28 AM

That kind of emotional, sweeping generalization not only indicates someone devoid of empathy, but also someone who is susceptible to getting burned due to their inability to perceive and process nuance.

No, it's not.

People who support Trump regardless of what he does and see him doing no wrong? Yeah, lemmings, but there are lemmings who do that with Bernie, did that with Hillary, Bush, McCain and every Presidential candidate prior, and will do that with Biden. Even worse, there are lemmings who do it at the party level and blindly follow Dems or Pubs to the ends of the Earth without fail.

You're correct; there are lemmings who follow the people you mentioned. The difference is that those people have clearly defined themselves with their political ideology. There is no question Hillary is a liberal, or Bernie an extreme leftist. Those who blindly follow them fall into that category as well.

The difference with Trump is that those who blindly follow him don't understand why they do it (unless they are in the unabashed racist segment, then they know exactly what they're following). Trump doesn't follow a political ideology because he's never truly been able to subscribe to one. He's pro-choice and a liberal economist, yet he preaches right-wing rhetoric regarding free expression and xenophobia. The blind followers don't really get it; they just like the strong man who talks tough and echoes their anger. They have trained themselves to ignore the laundry list of Trump problems and corruption.

In their efforts, they cling to this idea that he is a conservative/Republican, and anyone who criticizes him is a "libtard". So no, they are morons who don't even grasp what they believe in. They just like a loudmouth strong man who shouts their own inner anger.

With these people, Trump isn't the problem any more than anyone else I mentioned is...the lemmings are, and their numbers multiply yearly across all ideologies.

There are also people who understand perfectly well what Trump is, and get labeled Trump supporters simply by virtue of not taking every opportunity to shout from the rafters that he should be impeached ASAP. These people don't support Trump, they just don't see any alternative that they consider better, and many they consider worse. These people are quite pragmatic, are independent thinkers, and the world could use a few more of them on both sides of the aisle.

Disagree. There are plenty here and outside this realm who understand Trump, criticize him, but don't "shout from the rafters that he should be impeached." Flow and Cam are true conservatives who understand he is an imbecile and not a Republican or conservative in any sense, but they aren't demanding impeachment.

The people I refer to defend him to no end even when blatantly obvious problems are presented (such as this original post): CT88, Ineligible User, xtiger, tigermanac, bengaline, MemphisCat, Tesla (although he is in that rare psychotic branch of people reserved for the likes of TrooperDel and such), etc. They have made it their mission to defend this man and support any and all that he does. Even CT88, who just yesterday claimed he believed Trump would make sweeping spending cuts, now defends Trump's support of spending more. It's quite laughable at this point were it not a little scary how some could adore him so much.

As for Trump's ideology? He has none. He's not conservative or traditional Republican, and he's not liberal or traditional Democrat. He's the ultimate populist and will go with whatever action his internal focus group tells him will be the most popular for him. The man's favorite color is plaid. Some of these decisions have worked out well for me personally--in fact more have than not. Some have sucked and I think will cause future pains. What really sucks though, just as much as those who think he walks on water, is those who can't make the same "balance sheet" type analysis because they're so drunk with rage that everything within his sphere of influence must be evil and horrible for the planet at large.

We agree until the last line because here in lies the problem: He's not fit for office. He never has been. He's a man who doesn't respect our Constitution or what makes this nation great. So no, he is not worthy of any "balance sheet" or any benefit of the doubt. He must be removed as soon as possible. Where you fail, sir, is your belief that we still need to somehow give the man a chance. He's beyond that.

Where I at least take comfort is that I know this board and South Carolina is a small microcosm of the reality of Trump support. He still has his loyalists, but they are the ones who adored him from the very start. People who voted against him in 2016 but now support him? They don't exist. But there's a long line of people who DID vote for him in 2016 who have vowed never to do it again, and an even longer line of people who stayed home in 2016 due to a #### choice who won't make that mistake again.

Is the Tea Party officially dead yet?***

Jul 23, 2019, 2:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is the Tea Party officially dead yet?***

Jul 23, 2019, 4:45 PM

They certainly got quiet if they are even still around. Guess their priorities changed.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic