Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The major push by the NCAA is to allow transfers without
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 2,852

The major push by the NCAA is to allow transfers without

May 22, 2018, 9:11 PM

coaches being able to block certain schools. Some want to take it a step further and even allow them not to sit out a year, though I really doubt that will pass.

But what is very likely to pass is the NCAA will allow kids to transfer wherever they wish.

Dabo did not want get to caught in a media nightmare, especially playing up the sick family member card. This goes against everything Dabo stands for. It wasn't that Dabo didn't have the backbone to play hardball, but the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. A smear campaign would've followed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The major push by the NCAA is to allow transfers without

May 22, 2018, 9:28 PM

I don’t see the big deal, if the kid isn’t happy here let him go. An unhappy player can be a cancer in the program.

The Clemson football program has moved on and is not looking back, the fans should do the same.

Ask Coynis Miller, Alim McNeill, Austin Fontaine

May 22, 2018, 9:33 PM

if it was a big deal. Had Josh Belk understood the word commitment as it pertains to Clemson University maybe one of those young men would have seized the opportunity Mr. Belk squandered.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ask Coynis Miller, Alim McNeill, Austin Fontaine

May 22, 2018, 9:43 PM

Clemson wasn’t at 85 before Belk and Johnson left, so if the staff truly wanted one them they would have taken them.

That’s not exactly how recruiting works.

May 25, 2018, 12:53 AM

85 isn’t the number that matters to these kids. They want to know how many others are being recruited at the position, especially highly rated recruits. Belk really hurt us in this regard, there is no denying that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A problem becomes an opportunity to a thinking man.

May 25, 2018, 8:44 AM

Clearly Dabo isn't one of those people who think the grass is always greener on the other side. When life deals us a problem we soon see it as opportunity. Dabo is probably better at that than me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You just provided another reason to say good riddance to him

May 25, 2018, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Ask Coynis Miller, Alim McNeill, Austin Fontaine ]

If someone doesn't know what commitment means I want nothing to do with them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And I'm wondering if this isn't exactly the case.

May 25, 2018, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: The major push by the NCAA is to allow transfers without ]

I don't know the kid nor have any need to disparage him, but time will tell if this were the case.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 25, 2018, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: The major push by the NCAA is to allow transfers without ]

It's a big deal because the current setup dissuades interference from rival coaching staffs and essentially free agency.

Coaches put a lot of time and effort into player development and it is unfair to put that work in to only have the player leave and not only play for a rival, but play immediately (if the NCAA passes a rule in which sitting out a year is not required).

May 25, 2018, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: The major push by the NCAA is to allow transfers without ]

rhettm said:

I don’t see the big deal, if the kid isn’t happy here let him go. An unhappy player can be a cancer in the program.

I concur

The Clemson football program has moved on and is not looking back, the fans should do the same.

It's more likely Dabo just wanted rid of a problem.

May 25, 2018, 8:40 AM

When I get a letter from a lawyer I give it special consideration. Paper doesn't disappear like phone calls. Only a fool ignores a letter.

Obviously the boy was upset with his position on the depth chart. He dod his widdle feewings hurt when our stellar starters decided to return another year, went crying to mama and somewhere during the tears they contacted a lawyer, perhaps with the assistance of USuCk coaches and perhaps not. Anyone who blames USuCk's dollar store coaching staff for this is missing the point. The family was all in on this.

An unconditional release was Dabo's way of washing his hand and shaking the dust off his feet. We don't know whether or not Dabo asked the boy to leave, suggested he leave or promised he'd never get out of the depth chart cellar. Imo, had the boy been put in the starting rotation he would not have left.

Nor is Dabo

May 25, 2018, 8:55 AM

Concerned, even remotely, that Belk poses a risk to the coming 10-bomb. ;)

As long as coaches can move without restrictions, the players should be able to as well. Honestly, I don't care whether they sit out a year or not. I do believe there should be limits on how many players a school can bring in during both a one-year period and during a 4, or 5-year cycle. I do believe the football version of 'one and done' isn't healthy for schools or players, if practiced without some limits. Perhaps a future year is reduced by the one player you brought in, whether he stays or not. Somewhere in the mix, commitment needs to carry weight, by the school, staff and player.

Lastly, if a school is found to be 'tampering', it has to be very punitive. Even free agency has rules.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Player/school contract are much different than...

May 25, 2018, 9:07 AM

coaches/school contracts, normally. If a coach leaves their is a buyout or if the school fires him their is a buyout. What you're asking for between players/schools is a contract without power to bind.

The only power a coach has over a player leaving is his ability to limit where the kid transfers to. If you take that away the coach has no power and the LOI becomes meaningless to the coach and school.

If I'm missing something let me know, I'm still half asleep.

As long as they have to sit out a year I am good with it.*****

May 25, 2018, 9:12 AM

Agree 100%. I don't care where you go, but 1 year to make you think twice and to avoid

May 25, 2018, 10:42 AM

people team jumping to the next hot thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dissent is bad. I’m glad he’s gone.

May 25, 2018, 9:17 AM

The problem that I have with this “transfer anywhere” deal is that these kids can take your playbook to an opponent. I know our opponents watch our film and all but this is why the rule is and should remain in place. It’s almost like inviting your opponents’ coaches to come watch all of your practices in the offseason. Just my .02.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why..why..why

May 25, 2018, 9:18 AM

Why does it have to be so sinister.

Could it just, possibly be that dabo was ok with the unconditional release...without lawyers and moms? Dabo was okay with it because he focuses on what clemson needs to do, not what the other teams will do?

This isnt the 1st time dabo has let a kid go who ended up..or could have ended up at a team on clemson's schedule.

In fact. ..can any1 recall a time when a kid left clemson on a conditional release?

I know some fans treat sports like a soap opera, but does it really have to be so sinister?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Why..why..why

May 25, 2018, 10:53 AM

Usually our transfers have been players that were buried on the depth chart and were not really in contention to transfer to a P5 school, therefore there was never much interest in the terms of the release. Most of our transfers have ended up at 1AA programs, or occasionally Jr College then into a Power 5.

I cannot recall a time that any player has transferred to a school that is on our schedule. Is that a coincidence or were there restrictions placed on the release that we just never heard of?

I'm so stupid.. hunter and sterling are transfering

May 25, 2018, 11:01 AM

Did dabo put Any conditions on their release?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I'm so stupid.. hunter and sterling are transfering

May 25, 2018, 11:15 AM

Not sure... is either transferring to a team that is on our schedule? Sterling is considering UVA, but we don't play them until 2020. He has offers from Marshall, Maryland, UL-Lafayette and Virginia. He doesn't have an offer from any rival or any team on our schedule, do you know for a fact that his release had no restrictions or are you making a presumption?

As for Hunter, we don't know where he is going yet, but the belief is that Northwestern and Purdue are candidates. It seems odd that there is no interest in a 5 star QB who is very good from teams in the ACC or SEC.

The question mark Was a legit question mark

May 25, 2018, 11:58 AM

I duuno. . I googled both and other transfers but none of them mention anything about conditional or unconditional. Seems belks transfer was the only one that mentioned whether it was conditional or not.

Re: The question mark Was a legit question mark

May 25, 2018, 1:14 PM

I'd guess that being the Belk transfer was specified as being unconditional, typical transfers are conditional.

Or dhood purposely mentioned unconditional

May 25, 2018, 1:46 PM

To get us riled up. Must be sweeps week.

Re: Why..why..why

May 25, 2018, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Why..why..why ]

Here's the way I see it.

If Hunter Johnson decided he wanted to transfer to SCAR, would Dabo be as willing to just let him?

I really doubt it seriously.

I agree with those who feel that the "stated" reasons Josh Belk used for wanting out made resistance a potential PR nightmare and not worth the trouble.

Josh Belk will not be a difference-maker at SCAR.

Hunter Johnson on the other hand, would be the highest rated QB ever to put on a gamecock uniform.

It's a moot point because HJ has absolutely no desire to go down there, but if he did, I don't think Dabo would stand idly by and let him.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dunnoo. I doubt dabo would worry

May 25, 2018, 1:00 PM

Too much about scar until the week before they play.

HJ would still have that oline in front of him, so I don't know how much impact he would have outside the plublicity

Replies: 24
| visibility 2,852
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic