Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Syracuse "rivalry"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Syracuse "rivalry"

Jul 17, 2019, 8:53 PM

I expect the Syracuse rivalry to become like the Louisville "rivalry" and when they have a very talented QB they can keep it a good game but now that their QB is gone it will look a lot more like the Louisville game and previous Syracuse games before Dungey.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m interested to see how they do this year

Jul 17, 2019, 9:25 PM

I think Babers is building his program the right way. He’s a lot different than Petrino. I think he has improved the talent level a good bit.

They probably won’t win 10 games again but I could see 8-9 depending on QB play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m interested to see how they do this year

Jul 18, 2019, 2:29 PM

I agree with you on Babers. I don't knw if he can build a top 10 caliber program at Cuse, but I think he is a top 10 caliber coach. I suspect he will be at a bigger name school in 2 to 4 years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I’m interested to see how they do this year

Jul 18, 2019, 8:07 PM

Agree

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Syracuse "rivalry"

Jul 17, 2019, 9:47 PM

Don't underestimate DeVito. He is very good, will probably out perform Dungey this year.

Jul 18, 2019, 10:34 AM

Exactly. He was a 4 star on the 247 Composite...and was ranked a bit higher than our own Chase Brice, in the same class. He's not exactly a low rated QB, people really shouldn't just immediately treat him as such.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&PositionGroup=QB

He was terrible against Notre Dame though

Jul 18, 2019, 10:55 AM

They’ve got some work to do to get him ready.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 18, 2019, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Syracuse "rivalry" ]

I didn't claim he's a low rated QB but I also know it's not just the qb they lost nor his ranking that means he's all that good look at Jake Bentley being a 4 star or Max Browne being a 5* who was Pitt's QB last year and lost his job, Dorian Thompson-Robinson being a 4-5* and the composite #2 Dual threat QB that led UCLA to what 3 wins or so and couldn't even remain the starter or Tate Martell being a 5* and never even seeing real playing time and even if I go back a few years look at Malik Henry at FSU, Brandon Mcllwain, Feleipe Franks (starter still but awful) the ranks are a lot of times off of projection and have no meaning to what will actually happen and our staff is 10x what Syracuse staff is and Brice has developed into 10x the QB I expect Devito to be... When Brice had to come in down a few scores he rose to the occasion and after that become astronomically better the rest of the season, when Devito came in he couldn't even put up a score or even move the length of the field once against ND.

Babers and Syracuse aren't going away. Its possible they tak

Jul 18, 2019, 9:54 AM

e a step back this year as other Atlantic teams also improve but track Baylor's rise and Syracuse is following the formula. Another good year, the ACC network, renovated Dome and new athletic facilities. If Cuse will stay committed and all signs point that way, then they will be competing against the best of the Big Ten East for recruits in the next 3 to 4 years.

Syracuse, Louisville, Gt and Miami are the fully committed programs that will be the cream of the crop in the ACC over the next decade. I know that sounds weird but mark it down. VT could get there easily but the AD seems stagnate right now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Syracuse and Louisville are...

Jul 18, 2019, 9:58 AM

not rivals of Clemson. Neither is BC.

Thank you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Syracuse and Louisville are...

Jul 18, 2019, 1:19 PM

Boston College is considered one of Clemson's rivals.

Re: Syracuse and Louisville are...

Jul 18, 2019, 8:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Gigantic step back this year. Vegas has them @ 6 wins

Jul 18, 2019, 10:49 AM

that sounds about right to me. Go back and look at their game vs Notre Dame when Dungy got hurt and the backup (who will be the starter this year) had to play. he threw for 67 yards, 2 INT and they didn't score a single TD.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Gigantic step back this year. Vegas has them @ 6 wins

Jul 18, 2019, 12:20 PM

I don't think the Notre Dame game was a good example. Some teams for what ever reason have your number and I think that was the case with Notre Dame. If you want a better look at Tommy Devito, look at our games against North Carolina and Florida State.That is what Clemson will probably see. He has a cannon of an arm and he is accurate. We were fast on offense last year and I think we will be a lot faster this year.

I think Vegas had us down for 4 wins last year. One thing for sure, it will be interesting for us this year.

Re: Gigantic step back this year. Vegas has them @ 6 wins

Jul 18, 2019, 1:31 PM

I will go and watch those replays, but until I see Devito actually being a real threat, I think SU is in for a few losses. Maybe when he learns the playbook, etc then he might play a lot better. The ND game was pathetic as he had no clue how to play college FB. SU barely moved the ball and looked anemic at best. I'll get back to you after watching those 2 games and give a better analysis of how good he will be (not that my opinion means anything, so don't take this too harshly).

Dont forget: SU beat us in 2017 but only won 4 games

Jul 18, 2019, 1:38 PM

Its not like last years 10 wins isn't an outlier

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I don't blame a true freshman for struggling against the 2nd

Jul 18, 2019, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Gigantic step back this year. Vegas has them @ 6 wins ]

best team in the nation on the road. He'll get his legs under him

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Re: I don't blame a true freshman for struggling against the 2nd

Jul 18, 2019, 7:20 PM

He's a rising junior this year and it was at a neutral site (yankee stadium)

Jul 18, 2019, 8:05 PM

Syracuse has come a long ways, and they’ve played well against us the last two years. However, I think Bryant starting the game hurt and ultimately leaving the game 2 years ago coupled with a Friday night game before a bye...and the team dealing with Bryant leaving during the week of the game last year followed by Lawrence getting hurt early on had more to do with the outcome in those games than Dungey did.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic