Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should Beer bunt down third
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Should Beer bunt down third

May 27, 2018, 9:52 AM

baseline when they shift so far for his pull hitting.

It would only take a couple of at bats where he executed a bunt
to get the shift off.

I'm not the best baseball guy but it seems logical.

I know he is one of our best power hitters but getting the shift off
would make him more effective.

Am I wrong?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should Beer bunt down third

May 27, 2018, 10:03 AM

Thought about this last night when they showed that camera angle. However, in the heat of the moment when Beer can win you the game, I think it was the right decision to let him swing. If it were the 5th or 6th and we needed to scratch some runs then I'm okay with it.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2018, 10:03 AM

I said this last year and everyone thought it was absurd. In situations like last night when he can win the game with one swing. Obviously you let him hack. When he comes up and we need a base runner I would do it. No way they get him out if he gets it past the pitcher.

May 27, 2018, 10:25 AM

I’ve said all year as have the radio announcers that he could hit a soft single and get a standing double all day. If you have someone on first with decent speed, they score from first because it’d take a while for anyone to get to the ball.

Only thing I can think is he’s practiced it and maybe not consistent pulling it off and it depends on the pitches he’s getting too.

Plus as most have said he can change the game with one swing.

I disagree with Montes philosophy against being defensive in hitting and just putting the ball in play... ala his article posted two days ago.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Live by the homerun - Die by the homerun**

May 27, 2018, 10:33 AM

That has been the belief all year ___ 45-14 record __ can't complain about that*

But sometimes,having a trick or two in the bag,can make a difference in winning & losing

Still don't think we will ever see Beer ""BUNT"" JMHO**

May 27, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Should Beer bunt down third ]

At this point I think it is somewhat moot. When teams started playing the exaggerated shift on Beer the coaches should have been savvy enough to take advantage of what we were being given. They should have worked with Beer to slightly adjust his stance in the box to allow him to take advantage of the shift. Beer's power alley is from RCF to the RF line. The shift made it virtually impossible for a ground ball or a soft liner to not be fielded or caught since basically you had 7 players lined up between CF and the RFL. All it would have taken is a couple of hits by Beer into no mans land and there goes the shift. Another thing about Beer being able to win a game with one swing is true, but Mickey Mantle was one of the best drag bunters of all time JMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bunting isn't really that easy, especially if you don't

May 27, 2018, 11:00 AM

practice it a lot - which i assume Beer does not.

Re: Bunting isn't really that easy, especially if you don't

May 27, 2018, 11:10 AM

Good point; however when I played ball no player on the team was exempt from bunting when the situation called for it. During batting practice we were required to lay down 15 fair bunts down each line every day and this was HS level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, because ...

May 27, 2018, 11:19 AM

The chances of Beer drawing a walk are probably better than those of Beer laying down a good bunt and having the speed to leg it out IMHO.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, because ...

May 27, 2018, 11:23 AM

If he can't bunt he won't make it at the next level, hope I am wrong.

May 27, 2018, 12:36 PM

At the next level, Beer will not be expected to bunt. It would benefit him, and the team, to learn to hit to the opposite field. Like it or not, the shift works a high percentage of the time. With Beers power, not being a pull hitter exclusively would not lessen his effectiveness at all. imo

One of the big plays in last nights game that has gone unnoticed is the home run the Noles hit late in the game to tie it up. Our pitcher was up no balls and two strikes to a big hitter and he threw a fast ball right down the middle. Never, never do that 0 and 2. As a pitcher, you are in complete control of the game and you make the guy hit a bad pitch.... not a belt high fastball. You lose games playing like that.

May 27, 2018, 5:41 PM

Obviously you are having a hard time seeing the woods for the trees. No one is being overly critical of Beer. We are just stating opinions and the way we see it. Beer is still raw talent. I hate to see him go, but he still has a lot to learn. He has hit a lot of HRs but overall he has not been the feared weapon of last year. I do think part of this was pressure and the coaches not trying to break the shift. That is all!

PS: About Beer not being a pull hitter I will place a friendly wager that between 90 and 95 percent of his contact has been half way between second base and the right field line. If I am wrong I will send you a years supply of Mother Fletcher's castor oil.

Message was edited by: Purple Gunstock 15®

May 27, 2018, 7:59 PM

Sorry I didn’t realize I was being critical! I pointed out the obvious.

How can you hit to opposite field......

May 27, 2018, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Re: No, because ... ]

When a major league pitcher is throwing you nothing but 95 mph fastballs over the inside corner? So you're hoping for a mistake pitch so he can hit it opposite field? Not likely to happen in the bigs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How can you hit to opposite field......

May 28, 2018, 10:49 AM

Duh! If you’re getting inside pitches you probably aren’t going to try to hit to the opposite field! That’s what a pull hitter wants to see. And believe me a pull hitter thrives on fast balls middle in. Beer is a kid that a good hitting instructor would love to have on his team.

May 27, 2018, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: No, because ... ]

Hahahahaha. Good lord.

Almost nobody bunts in the MLB any longer

May 28, 2018, 12:13 AM [ in reply to Re: No, because ... ]

It's not just a "lost art" either - advanced statistics have proven that it's a negative value move the majority of the time. About the only time it's correct to sac bunt is when you have a pitcher at the plate in the NL.

Bunting for a base hit is a different debate, but you still have to be able to get down a really good bunt (which is not easy) and leg it out. A lot of the big pull hitters that get the shifts thrown at them are slow.

May 28, 2018, 7:31 AM

I’ve seen many college players this year try to bunt to beat the shift.
Seth Beer doesn’t do this. Whether it’s a personal choice or not idk but it’s not his style. Beer is a slugger and that’s it. He’s going to swing. He’s not there for defense or speed or anything besides hitting bombs and driving men in. I don’t know if it is a selfish issue with him or if monte doesn’t allow him to do it. And before people jump on me for calling a kid selfish I’m only saying that he is if he’s given the opportunity to bunt and never does. Gotta be a team player. I think Seth feels like he could help the team more with bombs but with Williams behind you just get on base anyway possible

True ...

May 28, 2018, 1:57 PM

I like Beer's chances to crank one out of the park with a man on first better than his chances to bunt the man over.

And his chances of legging out a bunt for a hit are far less than his chances of drawing a walk anyway.

Seth has a great on base percentage with ducks on the pond.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic