Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Me?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 3,948

Why Me?

Aug 20, 2019, 8:51 PM

I suppose many of us at some point in our life have thought and, perhaps, uttered aloud, "why me". Usually it was accompanied by those all too familiar words, "what have I done now"? We immediately wonder if we have done something wrong or if some unwanted event has happened in our life.

I readily admit the "why me" in my younger years fits the above comments. Everything I considered unpleasant or unwanted caused me to wonder "why me". I don't ever recall my responding "why me" when something good happened. Maybe I felt thankful and felt a degree of happiness that created a smile or words of appreciation but never a "why me".

Now that I am in my senior years, my "why me" attitude has made a 180 degree turn. The "why me" reaction is now one of gratitude. I recognize how richly I have been blessed. I have been granted almost 98 years on this wonderful earth, many more than most people will enjoy. But what is even more important is that I enjoy relatively good health. Some may question my personal assessment, but I still maintain a degree of sanity beyond the elementary school level, on most days.

I don't know if God has singled me out for a specific purpose and will keep me here until I do a satisfactory job. I have done nothing to deserve this gift of longevity but I can assure you I am enjoying every minute.

One of the saddest things is to read an obituary and note the person died at a young age and never had the opportunity to enjoy a full life. And then, on the other end of the age spectrum are those who's physical and mental health deprives them of living a full life. Here I am still driving although I can no longer run marathons or climb tall mountains. To be truthful I have never run a marathon and never had a desire to do so. I have always liked driving in the mountains but scaling a mountain just never appealed to me. During most of my mountain climbing I was wearing Army issued clothing and gear.

There are times when we re faced with reality and reality can have a dramatic affect on one in many ways. All of my high school classmates are now gone. All of those who were a part of my late wife and my wedding are now gone. All of my WW2 buddies are now gone. All of my siblings and their spouses are now gone. And I often wonder, "why me".

We have often heard it said that life does not give us a bed of roses, but life does offer us the opportunity to create a bed, to select the rose of our choice and to tend that rose with all the love and care possible. The rose offers us magnificent beauty and a sweet pleasant aroma but the thorns remind us that life also has its bumps and bruises.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Me?

Aug 20, 2019, 8:57 PM

Thank you that's beautiful

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well said

Aug 20, 2019, 9:00 PM

we've turned from a society of "thankful for what we have" to "fussing about what we don't have". Will it ever change?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Aug 20, 2019, 9:14 PM

My only words are, God bless Joe21.
A full life is given to each of us. How we use it is what makes the difference.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

Re: well said

Aug 20, 2019, 11:00 PM [ in reply to well said ]

Liberalism is the doctrine of envy.
The US is heading as fast as it can to the left.

Hard times lead to good people.
Which leads to good times.
Which leads to soft people. <—we are here
Which leads to hard times.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Aug 20, 2019, 9:21 PM

Thankful to hear your words Joe! I saw a church sign the other day that stated simply your thoughts: “We are too stressed to understand how much we are blessed!” Thanks again for your many years of wisdom.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 28, 2021, 4:07 PM

Thank you Joe, for the much needed words of wisdom to be thankful for what we have. God bless you Sir.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know exactly what you're saying.

Aug 20, 2019, 9:42 PM

And I'm only 42. I have seen more death than most funeral directors. And I meet the families. If you ever meet me in a professional capacity then someone close to you has died. It's a sobering job that makes you appreciate every single day as a gift because you will never know if it will be your last.

Take nothing for granted. Ever. No matter your age. If you're lucky enough to make it to old age, consider it a blessing because many never will.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2019, 9:47 PM

Maybe it’s because you let John Coffey ride the lightning. (Green Mile)

I hope to make 80. The men in our family die in the 70s. Of course we are not promised another day.

Thanks for your story and your posts to tnet. It’s an honor to have you with us.

Amen Joe- my last mountain in Nam

Aug 20, 2019, 9:49 PM

Resulted in my med- evacuation with wounds I still feel every day but never have felt “why me?” I have had 49 years since then that many of my buddies never realized. If I hadn’t been hurt that night I might have died the next day - we never know if a bad thing was actually a good thing in the long run.

Aug 20, 2019, 9:27 PM

Well said. Thanks for sharing.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you Joe.

Aug 20, 2019, 9:56 PM

Thank you Joe. I read your post to my wife before bed tonight. It was exactly what we needed to hear.

I nominate Joe to run down the hill for opener***

Aug 20, 2019, 11:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe might say "Why me" if that came about

Aug 21, 2019, 11:45 AM

Don't think I would make it all the way down upright and I am a little younger.

Re: I nominate Joe to run down the hill for opener***

Aug 21, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to I nominate Joe to run down the hill for opener*** ]

The only reason I didn't give you a TU is because I don't want to attempt to run down that hill. Most likely I would fall at the first step and tumble down and roll the rest of the way. At least, it would have 80,000 people laughing and this old world needs more laughs and less tears.

I relented and decided to give you a TU if you refuse to accept a second to your nomination.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 12:07 AM

Thanks Joe for a wonderful story of how to look on the bright side. Having just celebrated my 90 th BD with four children and their ‘spouses, nine of ten grandchildren with several of their spouses, friends of other grand children, band a couple of great grandchildren spending a week together in a huge house near Asheville, I am over flowing with gratitude for a good life.

I have always tried to live by the rule of, “ don’t sweat the little stuff “. One of my Doctors asked me recently to what I attribute my active life style. He said he didn’t have a single patient my age who was as active as I was. My answer was growing up on a farm, building a good muscle structure, keeping it, and keeping a positive outlook.

Living in a retirement community you see the full spectrum of negative to positive outlook. Recently someone complaines about the food another person,,a veteran, might say lhav had lots worse, so don’t worry.about it. Writing this after just getting back to the cottage from playing card games since dinner. No worry. I can sleepin tomorrow morning.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 2:58 AM

Reminds me of a great quote a smart man with the initials WCS once said: “God don’t make no mistakes”.

In your case, sir, I am sure that part of the "Why me?" is

Aug 21, 2019, 8:37 AM

that the Good Lord is keeping you around to educate the younger generations. Especially, your stories about the horrors of war should never be forgotten. I am a firm believer that those who do not learn from the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them. We must have guys like you around to remind us what those lessons were, firsthand. May you live on for a long, long time. All your friends are not gone. I daresay you have a large family on Tigernet that will come to your immediate aid, whenever that would be required.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 10:27 AM

As always, Joe, your post made my day! We should all be lucky enough to have your good health and wonderful attitude.

Aug 21, 2019, 11:55 AM

:)

When I was 25, I did not know.......

Aug 21, 2019, 12:26 PM

......a lot of dead people. Now I know a whole lot of dead folks. I still think "Why me?" a lot but the perspective is entirely different.

Why am I still here and Gerry, Greg, CJ, John, Joe, Sherry, Alexis, Hope, Bill, Mike......and on and on....are NOT still here? I did not deserve to live longer than my friends. I am not special and have had no reason to suspect to still be here when so many good friends have passed away.

One of the best lines ever in the movies comes from a Clint Eastwood western. "Deserve has nothing to do with it."

God threw a party and invited all of us to attend. Some went home early, but they were at the party. Some go home later, but the going home part seems more natural, more expected, more understandable for me the older I get.

I don't know if I've served the purpose for which I was born. I suspect I got in the way more than I helped do what I was called to do. Thanks be to God for the party, for life, for the purposes we were all called to serve.

Joe, congrats on your longevity. I am especially impressed that you're still kicking so to speak. Lots of people, perhaps most people get to a point when essentially everyone of their generation has left the scene and they get depressed over how things turned out. I think you're blessed to understand that your being had purpose and your job is to keep on until you're called to what's next. I am lucky enough to be there with you.

Thanks be to God. I'm like everyone else. I want to stay. I don't want to leave my wife, my kids, my friends, Clemson, America, the world; I don't want to miss anything.

I'm sitting on the porch at the edge of the Atlantic right now. The sun is out, the wind is blowing and the sea is moving. I'd hate to leave anytime soon.

But when I do take my leave, I'm going to try to be thanking God for the great ride I had and for the blessings I did not deserve. How's that song go.....Then sings my soul, my Savior God to thee, How great thou art......

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2019, 12:30 PM

can i message you joe21? I needed this today.

thank you.

Aug 21, 2019, 3:18 PM

By all means. Send me a Tmail.

Beautiful. Just from reading your posts

Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 PM

on Tnet....I'm convinced that part of your answer to the current "why me?" has to do with your influence on the people around you.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Aug 21, 2019, 3:22 PM

I've been dealing with some back pain today Joe, and trying to fend off the self pity. thanks for the perspective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 3,948
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic