Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reflection on an earlier encounter:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 2,493

Reflection on an earlier encounter:

Dec 11, 2018, 5:58 PM

As a junior in college, dad got his hands on two Clemson vs ND tickets and asked if I wanted to join him! Now, I don't remember what dad paid for the tickets but he was TIGHT, I'm talking Jesse Palmer jacket tight!!! If dad paid more than $30-40 per ticket, I'd be shocked.

Scalping was a big deal back then. Seems like I remember you couldn't resell the tickets at the game for more than $1 over face value.

For that game, Montana vs Fuller, the PO-PO was everywhere. As we approached Memorial Stadium on Williamson Rd, we were just past Woodland Dr, and a Clemson fan raised two tickets above his head to sell.

Immediately a middle aged Clemson man approached the seller and bought the tickets for $250 per ticket!!! We were shocked, as was everyone around us. The purchaser immediately raised them above his head to resell! He didn't walk 20' before another gentleman confronted the reseller and bought the tickets for $500 each!!!

That was our introduction to the scalping industry and big time football!!!

Dad, a devout Clemson Man, later confessed it was all he could do NOT TO SELL our tickets. A thousand dollars was a heap of $$$ back then!!!

Even though we lost, it was a game I cherish being at!!! The excitement in our stadium before, during and after that matchup was epic!!!

It's time to beat the domers once more!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think face was $8 for that game***

Dec 11, 2018, 6:19 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bought mine for $15

Dec 11, 2018, 7:42 PM

2 days before game. Really thought we were going to win it. Seems like we were up 14-0 at half.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: I bought mine for $15

Dec 11, 2018, 9:07 PM

I remember we fumbled several times. We were our worst enemy!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reflection on an earlier encounter:

Dec 11, 2018, 11:27 PM

From my recollection , we really faded in the 4th as we didn't have their depth in those days. We lead 17-7 early in the 4th. Correct, we turned it over 4 times. A sad walk back to Johnstone.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What I remember most from that game was,,,ND's coach

Dec 11, 2018, 11:41 PM

Dan Devine, spent the hold game on the field, complaining to the refs about one thing or another, and he never received a penalty at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What I remember most from that game was,,,ND's coach

Dec 12, 2018, 11:14 AM

Yeah and it paid off, because a blatant face mask on Fuller was not called on a 4th and goal attempt late in the game that would have swung the game to us.

I was right in front of it, and started celebrating thinking we had a fresh set of downs at “half the distance to the goal line” only to be crushed by the turnover on downs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What I remember most from that game was,,,ND's coach

Dec 12, 2018, 2:14 PM [ in reply to What I remember most from that game was,,,ND's coach ]

Tnx LongTS !!!!!!!

I had forgotten about his crying and b_tching!!! As soon I read your post I remembered, we gave him a bit of h_ll about it too!!!

Dec 12, 2018, 11:35 AM

I've always said that was the most exciting game I ever attended. Hubs and I stood on the bank, never sat down once and screamed my head off. I was so proud of Clemson and not as sad as you would think. Playing Notre Dame like that was awesome in those days!

Dec 12, 2018, 2:16 PM

I couldn’t speak until the end of the following week. My friends thought I was sick . . . sick to my stomach maybe.

Dec 12, 2018, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Reflection on an earlier encounter: ]

I'll conceed your point, we were so close and the 'domers felt as if we had zero chance as we were a cow college. Thus the birth of the orange overalls.

Replies: 10
| visibility 2,493
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic