Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for you older Tigers......Clemson Alma Mater
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 1

Question for you older Tigers......Clemson Alma Mater

Dec 11, 2017, 2:51 PM

my father in law in a Clemson grad...Clemson class of 57. His health is failing and years ago he asked me to deliver his eulogy. After completing his eulogy I am planning on playing the Clemson Alma Mater as a final honor for a tremendous Tiger. This man bleeds orange. Thoughts on the alma mater at funeral? Anyone else seen in played?
Thanks in advance, TF1972

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for you older Tigers......Clemson Alma Mater

Dec 11, 2017, 2:52 PM

I have not seen it done, but I believe that is a tremendous idea and would be something special for the family.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2017, 3:00 PM

We played the alma mater and tiger rag at my father's funeral. While some may frown about this in the end it was a celebration of the things my father loved.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why would some 1 frown on it?***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Have you been around traditional church folk much?

Dec 11, 2017, 3:56 PM

They frown on most everything

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Seems like you haven’t been around church folks?***

Dec 11, 2017, 10:15 PM

Re: Seems like you haven’t been around church folks?***

Dec 11, 2017, 10:38 PM

Exactly!.. As long as God is given the glory of this mans life and passing.. then celebrate what made him, the man that you're honoring... happy.

Unless he was a gamecock.. haha.. jk

Quite the contrary

Dec 12, 2017, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Seems like you haven’t been around church folks?*** ]

And I did specify traditional church folk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Why would some 1 frown on it?***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for you older Tigers......Clemson Alma Mater ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

We did Tiger Rag and Air Force for my Dad, Mom and Aunt. It

Dec 11, 2017, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for you older Tigers......Clemson Alma Mater ]

was great and truly represented them.

Yes, do it.***

Dec 11, 2017, 2:56 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Yes, do it.***

Dec 11, 2017, 2:59 PM

AWESOME

I see no problem with it.

Dec 11, 2017, 2:57 PM

I once attended a funeral where a 10-year old boy had fallen over a waterfall ... very tragic! ... but his father and mother had "We Will Rock You" played as his casket was being pushed out of the sanctuary. The reason ... the little boy had LOVED the song and was singing it almost daily.

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Most churches won't let you play secular songs

Dec 11, 2017, 2:58 PM

but I've seen it at "funeral home" services

Or right after the gravesite service, just play it on a speaker.

I got the church ok so I'm good there***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then I 100% say go for it.

Dec 11, 2017, 3:05 PM

The Alma Mater is a pretty reverent song, it would completely fit....and then roll right into Tiger Rag for the "celebration of life" party.

BTW I hope its a long time before its played for your dad***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:08 PM

Only one question to answer - Would your father want the Alma Mater played at his funeral? If you believe your father's answer would be "yes" then absolutely play it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^The logic is strong in this one^^^

Dec 11, 2017, 9:31 PM

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on the individual

Dec 11, 2017, 3:02 PM

Won't mention his name, but an owner of a large trucking company in Columbia passed years ago. Not at the church but at the cemetery, his casket was brought in by one of his huge dump trucks. Must have been 4 or 5 trucks in the procession. The last one had huge speakers blaring The Tiger Rag. What a way to go!

The Alma Mater was played at a funeral on 11/25

Dec 11, 2017, 3:07 PM

The band played it right after we buried the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Re: The Alma Mater was played at a funeral on 11/25

Dec 11, 2017, 4:49 PM

I knew I had heard it recently! :)

As a pastor, I would not allow it, for purly theological

Dec 11, 2017, 3:11 PM

reasons.

Question: Is this bein sung by those in attendance or just played?

Church security should be prepared to taze any coot fans not showing proper respect. If it was allowed in my church this would be a necessary step.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just played and Clemson folks like myself will sing***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:16 PM

Re: As a pastor, I would not allow it, for purly theological

Dec 11, 2017, 3:20 PM [ in reply to As a pastor, I would not allow it, for purly theological ]

if that is true, you would not be my paster for any longer

The not allowing it part or the tazer part? ;)***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The not allowing it part or the tazer part? ;)***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:31 PM

not allowing it

Re: The not allowing it part or the tazer part? ;)***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:33 PM

Well, that clears that up. I concur.

Just curious, what is the theological argument for not

Dec 11, 2017, 3:38 PM [ in reply to As a pastor, I would not allow it, for purly theological ]

allowing it? You can answer here or send me a T-mail.

As stated above, we have allowed secular songs at funerals (and weddings) held at my church. I am Southern Baptist.

Thanks.

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

P&R Bored is that way----->>>>

Dec 11, 2017, 3:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Was it the capital 'B' in Baptist?***

Dec 11, 2017, 3:55 PM

The largest church in the state of SC played AC/DC's

Dec 11, 2017, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Just curious, what is the theological argument for not ]

Hell's Bells in a service

lol

Not theological. Screw that.

There's something in these hills.

I will admit .... I would not allow that song to be played

Dec 12, 2017, 11:33 AM

at church. Nor, "Highway to He!!".

Re: As a pastor, I would not allow it, for purly theological

Dec 11, 2017, 10:08 PM [ in reply to As a pastor, I would not allow it, for purly theological ]

My Uncle is a pastor and has said he would have no problem. Graduate of Francis Marion but he did spend several games with us at Clemson

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 11, 2017, 3:12 PM

I paraphrased the words to the Alma Mater for my Dad's service in 2008 to personalize it to him. Not knowing what I actually did, my son Jeremy did almost the exact same thing when it came his turn to speak. Both of us were extremely surprised, but at the same time glad that we did it.

It is a fitting tribute to him. By ALL means, do it.

Ron

Dec 11, 2017, 3:21 PM

A person's eulogy represents the things that person cared about in their life. I'd say this one fits.

So sorry for your situation. Go Tigers and thanks to your father-in-law for being a piece of building one of the best Universities in the country.

Dec 11, 2017, 3:23 PM

Thank you. This man absolutely loves Clemson with all his heart.

Dec 11, 2017, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for you older Tigers......Clemson Alma Mater ]

And I hear you have the church's blessing. If you didn't have the church's blessing, sorry for those who won't like this, but don't use that church.

This isn't about a church's wishes. It's about your father-in-law's wishes. Period.

Agreed.

Dec 11, 2017, 3:27 PM

What a great idea! I would love to have it at my funeral. I went to a funeral of a friend several years ago and the recessional song was Carolina Girl (North Carolina, that is). It was her favorite song and very fitting. If your father-in-law is a such a big Tiger fan, then I would certainly go with it.

Played the Alma mater at the graveside at my dad's funeral. It was well received....No Regrets. If he's a "die-hard" Tiger he would definitely think it's a great idea.

Dec 11, 2017, 3:30 PM

Thank you!

Dec 11, 2017, 3:32 PM

Absolutely! Honor his wishes to the best of your abilities!

null

I once attended a funeral for a diehard Gamecock fan...

Dec 11, 2017, 3:47 PM

as the family was entering and the attendees stood, the organist began playing a lively rendition of Step to the Rear. I was moved to tears.

So yes, by all means play the Clemson Alma Mater at your FIL's service.

Dec 11, 2017, 3:53 PM

My 2 cents. If your FIL likes the idea then to heck with what others think. I think it is a great idea.

Dec 11, 2017, 3:53 PM

Perfect idea...and as others have said, follow it up with Tiger Rag...

I re-did my will earlier this year....which hopefully will not be needed for quite a while...but I'm going to have the video of the Watson-Renfrow pass to win the Natty played at my funeral. I thought about all the things in my life and I don't think I've ever had an experience where every emotion I have in me came flying out like that one on so I thought...cool....that's better than some tired old hymn or some junk no one cares about...besides it's my funeral and that's what I want done...!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You put it in your will to play that at

Dec 11, 2017, 8:56 PM

your funeral? Or did I read that wrong? Don't think they will read the will until after the funeral

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you do decide to play it, please make sure everyone in

Dec 11, 2017, 4:12 PM

the congregation raises his/her hand in the gap between "echo" & "o'er" and not before.

And if you play Tiger Rag, woo hooing would be entirely inappropriate.

Re: If you do decide to play it, please make sure everyone in

Dec 11, 2017, 4:46 PM

Thanks, Bob, for specifying the proper time to wave at the mountains. That's one of my pet peeves when people start raising their hands before the appropriate time!

Definitely, do it***

Dec 11, 2017, 4:18 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Definitely, do it***

Dec 11, 2017, 4:31 PM

Seems incredibly appropriate to me. I might borrow the idea myself.

I proposed to my wife beside Frank Howard's grave at half-time of a Clemson-Carolina game. Some people think that is weird, IF they didn't attend Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2017, 4:28 PM

Absolutely! Sorry for your families loss.

Dec 11, 2017, 4:30 PM

I think it would certainly be appropriate if that is what he wants. I am 71 years old and most of my Family is Gamecock fans. I have a cousin who was in the band at Clemson. It is written in my will that after everything is finished at the cemetery, he will Play Tiger Rag on his Trumpet. Just a reminder to those Family members that they can kiss it one last time.

I believe it would be a fitting tribute...quite

Dec 11, 2017, 4:32 PM

moving in fact, considering his loyalty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2017, 4:50 PM

Feel free to reach out to the Clemson band office. Depending on when or where the service is held, it may be possible to get a small group to play for it. Either current members or alumni members of Tiger Band may be available if you ask.

Dec 11, 2017, 10:14 PM

Definitely could talk to IPTAY representative from your area

I'd do it at the graveside service. Should be done outside

Dec 11, 2017, 4:59 PM

where you can see "those hills."

But whatever the case, the funeral's about yo' daddy, so do what HE would want. You don't get any do-overs when it comes to layin' him to rest.

Dec 11, 2017, 6:07 PM

I went to one, a pastors wife, he led us in CLEMSON cheer from pulpit. Pretty dignified family too.

Dec 11, 2017, 8:24 PM

I want the Alma Mater and the Army song...my call..not the pastor's

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alma Mater Yes.....DV DJ No***

Dec 11, 2017, 8:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe depends on the type of funeral.

Dec 11, 2017, 8:44 PM

If it's a true "Celebration of Life" kinda deal AND if CU was that important to him, go for it.

If it is a somber-ish affair, maybe quietly play the alma mater as a prelude or exit tune but leave it out of the formal service.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2017, 9:16 PM

I have never heard it played at a funeral, but do not know a reason why it could not be played.

Dec 11, 2017, 9:18 PM

I've asked to have it played at my graveside service. A friend has agreed to sing it.

Dec 11, 2017, 10:47 PM

In that case , I hope you're friend doesn't die before you .

Dec 11, 2017, 10:04 PM

I think it is a great tribute to him also. If you decide not to play the music, recite the Alma Mater. I bet it would would be just as moving

Dec 11, 2017, 10:46 PM

If that man is a Christian, just make it known that God is his first Love.. if that's done.. celebrate his life in whatever brought joy to his life..

Replies: 65
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic