Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Men's Golf finished 7th in the ACC championships?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,778

Men's Golf finished 7th in the ACC championships?

Apr 21, 2019, 6:07 PM

Isn't that kind of disappointing for our golf program? 7th out of 12 ACC men's golf programs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Men's Golf finished 7th in the ACC championships?

Apr 21, 2019, 6:26 PM

Very disappointed in how they performed this spring. Had a decent fall because the freshman Zach Gordon was playing well. Nimmer has been on fire and now holds a couple Clemson records. Plus, our best golfer turned pro after sophomore year.

It’s hard to get info on golf coverage and recruiting information. Probably the same as tennis. We really don’t have a website that covers the off sports at all.

Not sure if it’s an AD problem or that’s just the way it is. We could get on a stretch run in the ncaa but doubtful. Just don’t have the horses this year. Some of the seasoned golfers didn’t grow like some do.

Not a cut to LP but wonder if his age is deterring recruits thinking he’ll retire. I’ve noticed the good teams that have been consistently top 10 the last decade have done a good job recruiting overseas. We don’t seem to do that. Mainly recruit a small footprint imo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2019, 6:40 PM

Other than a couple of players we got from Ireland, I can't think of anyone else we've ever signed from overseas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2019, 7:24 PM

My apologies Marshall. Forgot to mention you being an expert too. I knew I was leaving some out ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if there's one critique I have of the Clemson

Apr 21, 2019, 6:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Men's Golf finished 7th in the ACC championships? ]

Fanbase as a whole is that we don't really have an Olympic sport that we really get behind. Not like Alabama gymnastics and softball or Iowa Wrestling, Minnesota hockey, Nebraska volleyball, Georgia tennis, Syracuse lacrosse, Oregon track etc.

We often ignore the Olympic sports unless they do something really good and even then it's not a lot of coverage. You have to go seek out the information on your own.

As far as golf recruiting it does seem like we try and get the same type of recruits all the time. Not sure if that's lack of effort to expand or that for whatever reason golfers of other footprints aren't interested in Clemson. I feel like golf should be one of our regular powerhouse sports but they've been coming up short recently

Re: if there's one critique I have of the Clemson

Apr 21, 2019, 7:31 PM

Yep, Penley and Byrd have had a great run. Clemson is synonymous with excellent golf. And the paw is as powerful as it’s ever been. No reason not to excel in most any sport.

Football is king and wouldn’t trade it for the world but I reference two other programs that seem to compete at a high level in all the sports year end and year out. Florida and Oklahoma.

Agreed, and that’s a self critique as well

Apr 21, 2019, 7:36 PM [ in reply to if there's one critique I have of the Clemson ]

I’d love an Olympic sport to fully lash on to as “our own” but admit I’ve had fleeting interest at best when we’ve been good in various sports

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2019, 7:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Men's Golf finished 7th in the ACC championships? ]

Who turned pro?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 21, 2019, 7:49 PM

Doc Redman. Sophomore. Had he come back, we’d probably been top 5 team. Doc’s struggling too. Not making near the noise in the web.com tour that I thought he would. Just think he got star struck or something happened at college but don’t want to speculate.

Apr 21, 2019, 8:13 PM

Definitely seems quite a bit early to leave. Would understand more if he had done so after his junior year, but as you say, there may be considerations in addition to the allure of pro golf.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Apr 21, 2019, 6:28 PM

Apologies for the long post but I’ve wanted to discuss this topic all spring. HORRY TIGER and skeeta are excellent resources for golf and provides valuable insight into it.

Apr 21, 2019, 7:37 PM

Not sure what’s going on there. We were 38 shots out of first and our second best score Saturday was an 81 from a guy who started his round with a 10? That’s an awfully thin lineup.

Apr 21, 2019, 7:45 PM

Junior golfer champion who was on fire in the fall. Then he went cold as ice. I’ve asked if he was hurt or just a bad stretch. Every tournament this spring they’d have one good round but other than nimmer, no one else could string together two or three good rounds. Nimmer has kept us from finishing bad in our own tournament.

You just never know. Wish they had recruit rankings like FB...

Apr 21, 2019, 7:47 PM

I was really disappointed too. I guess we will get invited to a regional and we will sure have to play much better there if we have any hopes of advancing. Of course recruiting is important. As far as the player pool, the South Carolina Golf Association is big into junior golf and very successful. The Carolinas Golf Association is the second biggest golf association in the country and I am sure they also help with the development of junior golf. We have a lot of good players in the Carolinas, but there are also a lot of colleges that are after them. I think when we wond the NCAAs in 2006, all of our players were from South Carolina.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2019, 8:32 PM

Golf, baseball, basketball, tennis - you name it. But we still have football!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,778
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic