Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lifetime Contract for Dabo (long)...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,960

Lifetime Contract for Dabo (long)...

Dec 13, 2018, 8:34 PM

I’ve been thinking about the “mama calls” theory that Bama fans are convinced of with Dabo.

Like most of you, I personally don’t buy into it as a certainty but let’s face it, Saban isn’t gonna stay around too much longer, and they will come calling.

Will Dabo answer? How do we make sure that doesn’t happen?

I think we have a better than good chance at grabbing AT LEAST one more of those beautiful Oculus shaped trophies in the next 3 years.

That means contract renegotiations, no two ways about it. Very, very lucrative ones. Record setting in all likelihood.

But we all know Dabo appreciates many things more than the number of commas in his paycheck. He appreciates commitment, loyalty, support far more than dollars.

I am currently aware of 5 sports figures ever that have signed lifetime contracts, and all but one are endorsement deals.

LeBron James and Nike
Cristiano Ronaldo and Nike
Michael Jordan and Nike
David Beckham and Adidas
Lionel Messi and Adidas
Jeff Gordon and Hendrick Motorsports

I know this probably won’t go over well and you all will argue how that’s insane for both sides. But @ $8 million a year, if Dabo wins one more, I say we shock the sports world.

Flame away if you want.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As much as I love Dabo, this is a horrible deal.

Dec 13, 2018, 8:39 PM

As great as things are now, future success isn’t guaranteed. Clemson isn’t protecting Clemson’s long-term interests to sign anyone - even Dabo - to a lifetime contract.

Besides, Dabo’s agent would never let him sign something like that unless it was easy for him to get out of it if he decided he wanted to leave. In other words, it would be very one-sided, with Clemson being committed and unable to get out, and Dabo having all the leverage. No thanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: As much as I love Dabo, this is a horrible deal.

Dec 13, 2018, 8:43 PM

The number for coaches is already above $8mil a year. If Dabo was able to win two of the next three national championships, especially if he goes back to back with TL, his contract value would likely sail to over $12mm a year guaranteed.

If we locked him in significantly lower with a lifetime component, it could be a smart move.

Several huge sports figures have far larger yearly contracts with far shorter terms than the ones I mentioned with lifetime deals. It’s all about how you view it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson must remember that CDS is a good employee

Dec 13, 2018, 9:26 PM

So far as I remember, employees who perform well are rewarded at the end of a fiscal year. If their performance drops off some, raises are not as much, or very little. If performance drops below a standard, they get a reprimand or put on "probation" until performance improves. Everyone know the grounds for termination, too.

There would have to be a very abnormal, negative change in CDS's leadership of the football program to warrant lack of reward. Or, economic changes affecting the University or the Country as a whole could heavily impact future growth and expectations.

If we got "outbid" for his services and he took said offer, all we could do is wish the Swinney Family well. Idon't know of any other college environment that has what Clemson has.

However, it is my opinion that the Swinneys are perfectly happy and content with what they have there in Pickens County at the edge of Pendleton and on the shores of Lake Hartwell. He knows...

"There IS Something in these HIlls!"

71PR

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson must remember that CDS is a good employee

Dec 13, 2018, 10:16 PM

aside from family ties to the hills,there is one other huge factor.CU is the program that HE built,not anyone else.that's going to be awfully hard to walk away from,and every year of success going forward will make leaving that much harder.at alabama he'll always be in bryant's,saban's,and other's shadows.not sure he'd want to get involved with the darkside of the tide's program either.also don't think that money is what rules CDS's life.that said.enjoy the ride.i know I am.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yikes

Dec 13, 2018, 10:31 PM

Pass me some of whatever you’re on. This has as much of a chance of happening as me taking DRad’s job (which is 0)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,960
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic