Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting article in context of "college football biz"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Interesting article in context of "college football biz"

Jun 24, 2018, 2:06 PM

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/shea-patterson-explains-left-ole-miss-michigan-business/

Not debating Hugh Freeze's hypocritical stewardship of the Ole Miss program. Freeze is an amoral dimwit. And will not be pulling for Shea Patterson at U of Harbaugh.

What I find interesting and agree with on many levels is QB Shea Patterson's statement that “I’ve learned that this is a business, and there’s nothing wrong with that.” Rivals had this IMG grad (Shaq Smith classmate) as 2016 #3 rated overall behind R. Gary and Dex Lawrence.

Like most Clemson alums and fans, I am all in on 2018-19 season for obvious reasons. This may be our most talented team ever. And next year will not be a rebuild, but it will be a remodel.

But to the point of this post, Clemson, unlike Ole Miss, seems to be profiting from doing business the right way, with leadership from our Board of Trustees, the President, the AD, the HC, and the coaches. And the university and the coaches are cashing in as they should be. Clemson Tiger stock is up. Way up. My take is Dabo has evolved in hiring and recruiting and has more than earned his place. And also that Dabo, even more than Ford before him, will come to represent and overshadow this university's reputation in the years to come. And chances are Dabo will be a great steward of this business. What are your thoughts out there on this complex subject of college football being a billion dollar business for players, coaches and universities?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like your post SOC...

Jun 25, 2018, 7:13 AM

especially about DaBO & Clemson Leaders as a whole in that they are doing it the right way..

and that the game is a Business of sorts.

College sports has changed big time, but so has the World..in that innocence is not Vogue, anymore at least.

I worry..about College Football & its continuous changes & attitudes of what it should be (big business vs amateur status) but I also worry about the Planet & People that mistreat it and others on it.

Saying..play ball & play fair, for free.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Like your post SOC...

Jun 25, 2018, 9:20 AM

Recently I was thinking about how many games are televised now each week. Here in the northeast we get about 30-33 games every week. That's 60-66 teams that we can see every week, or about half of the FBS roster. I remember growing up in the '60s and '70s, we would get, maybe, 1-2 college football games every week. Now, I can watch just about every Clemson game. Back then, I didn't know what or where Clemson was. Even in the early '80s, when the Tigers won it all, I would get to see maybe 3-4 games each week. It wasn't until ESPN came along that it really began to open up. My point? Can you imagine the ridiculous increase in television revenues over the last 30 years? I'm sure the NCAA and different schools are raking it in. And the coaches and assistants are doing very nicely. Should players get paid? Don't know. Not sure if that would help or hurt the game. Seems to me the larger universities would benefit the most (don't they always?). Just mind boggling how much $ is in the game now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting article in context of "college football biz"

Jun 25, 2018, 7:23 AM

As much as I love college football I am somewhat sad about what it has become. How NCAA officials and school presidents can see so many articles where players say it is a business and not do anything to address it baffles me. It seems like college basketball will eventually do away with the 1 & done finding some way for players to go straight to the NBA. Hopefully football will follow suit and we can get back to some of that innocence that made the game great. I love the great players that Clemson currently recruits, but I love Clemson more and if players are not interested in being student athletes then college is no place to train them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Ole Miss on probation has better skill players than MICH

Jun 25, 2018, 9:24 AM

did you guys watch the bowl game against South Carolina? No Quarterback alone is going to fix Michigan's problems. I'd tap the brakes on thinking getting Patterson will mean Michigan will score points

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic