Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you defend Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

If you defend Brownell

Feb 22, 2018, 3:10 PM

Answer these questions.

1. Like myself included, most Clemson fans agree we should make the tournament at least 1 out of every 3 years.... It’s been what?? 6- 7 years now?

2. Should he be rewarded with an extension for making the tournament this year?

3. Everybody seems to complain about in game or late game coaching.... is he coaching or is he choking?

I’ve said many times I like the guy... I really hope this is the season that turns everything around and we go on to be regular participants in the tournament....... but a part of me says he is Tommy Bowden.

What say you?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are a Clemson fan***

Feb 22, 2018, 3:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Is that a standing invitation to your tail gate this fall?***

Feb 22, 2018, 3:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lot 16.. I'm the fat white guy. All I have is bush light

Feb 22, 2018, 3:29 PM

I can't afford ant better beer. All my money goes to post malone tickets for my daughter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'll gift "better" beer just to hang out, but I've had one...

Feb 22, 2018, 3:41 PM

night of drinks in 7ish years.

Is that a deal breaker?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are a Clemson fan*** ?????

Feb 22, 2018, 4:16 PM [ in reply to You are a Clemson fan*** ]

A message board is a forum for varying opinions.

Why do those like you ask such a stupid question of the guy's post.

He has the right to throw his dialogue out here.

Feb 22, 2018, 4:20 PM

I didn't see a ? at the end of his reply, you sure it was a kweshion?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: You are a Clemson fan*** ????? ]

Because none of the children here on this board, can engage in any really discussion. A bunch of punks who just want to call anyone a coot who has an opinion or really understands anything. Useless here.

Feb 22, 2018, 5:08 PM

I've tried to engage in discussions with you, you just tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and that you coached high school ball for 11 years.

All I needed to know was you predicted a slide in the last 6 games and knew Mitchell would be hurt in the first of those six.

Once again, there are only 3 years left on his contract

after this year's conclusion.

If Brad remains, a fourth year is almost an absolute guarantee/addition, IF ONLY for recruiting purposes.

That's good business sense.

Re: Once again, there are only 3 years left on his contract

Feb 22, 2018, 3:20 PM

To me it doesn’t matter how many years are left on his contract or if it makes “ good business sense “ to keep him... if Clemson wants to move on they can.... money isn’t a huge issue.

My questions are to those who defend every and any move good or bad he makes. I say this because it seems the guy is protected among the majority of our fan base..... and I’m wondering why.

It should matter to you if you're interested in having

Feb 22, 2018, 3:31 PM

an intelligent discussion. Maybe you're not?

You asked a question about extension, Should he be rewarded with an extension for making the tournament this year? I gave you a pointed answer, one that doesn't matter if he done good and will likely happen, should nothing else change. Adding one year is not a reward as much as it is a must have moving forward.

So understanding the options and things in play, get ready for the one year, unless 1 of 2 things takes place.

1. Part ways/he leaves for another job. Idk, idc with him making the post-season in mind.

2. They decide to reward him and fully extend Brad 2-3 years by deciding he and the program have turned the corner.

We shall see.

They aren’t stupid enough to hire or fire based on an

Feb 22, 2018, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Once again, there are only 3 years left on his contract ]

internet board. You don’t like him and we should care why?

Re: If you defend Brownell

1) We should make the tourney at least 1 time out of every 3 years, and in my opinion got screwed in 2013-2014, but this is definitely a knock against him although we should be in this year and looks promising for next year.

2) Absolutely, considering he has 3 years on his contract after this year, you can't afford to have a coach with less than 4 years on his contract as that would completely hinder recruiting.

3) He's coaching, but it's ultimately up to players to make plays. At FSU if we just hit free throws down the stretch we win, if the players don't turn the ball over 5 times in a row we win. It's never going to be solely on coaching or the players, regardless of winning or losing.

Feb 22, 2018, 3:23 PM

That’s not necessarily true about the fsu game. If he would have fouled at the end the game..... therefore shortening the game....I think we win .... and we don’t go to ot and lose Mitchell for several games.

That game was plain and simple coaching

Feb 22, 2018, 3:28 PM

If players don't start making lazy passes when we're up nearly 20 then they don't go on a run due to turnovers, if Reed hits a 12 footer we don't go to overtime, etc.

No game is every 100% coaching or players whether win or lose, that's ridiculous.

Feb 22, 2018, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: If you defend Brownell ]

One of the best and most intelligible replies I have read on Tigernet for over 10 years

Kudos to you

Feb 22, 2018, 3:23 PM

this has less to do with coaching, and everything to do with this university's lack of support and willingness to invest in the program, facilities, coaches salaries, recruiting budgets, etc...

Sure, we could roll in a new staff, and pay them what we pay Brownell, but I honestly think we would just see more of the same.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 3:24 PM

I think we’ve made huge strides into upping our game on support and facilities

Feb 22, 2018, 3:29 PM

We have, and the results have been better this year.

Feb 22, 2018, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: If you defend Brownell ]

we have, but we are still behind most of this league. Fact is we are a football school. If we dumped as much money into BBall as UNC, the results would be much different.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: If you defend Brownell ]

As sad as your statement is, it's 100% true, our BB program will need to have 100% backing from our administration to move up the ACC pole!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 3:32 PM

I see us as having a small margin for error on winning. Late season we wind down physically and injuries get to us and we finish like this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it is really cool of your mom to let you stay up

Feb 22, 2018, 3:38 PM

I think it is good to let the kids see the end of late games

Feb 22, 2018, 3:41 PM

1. 1 out of every 3 years is a compromise, but we would HOPE to achieve at least that. We look good this year, did you push to have Dabo removed during 2011 after getting blown out by NC St?

2. Like DSP said, you keep the coach in contract for the next 4 years, which would cover the incoming class of recruits for continuity. So yes.

3. I attribute this to a program that hasn't tasted greatness enough, but is trying to earn it, and have fallen short a couple times. Sometimes the ball bounces on the outside of the rim.

I know we all want Clemson to win every match up they ever play in, but not gonna happen. How about support our teams with the love we have for this school in the hills!

It's simple, and it's a bottom-line deal.

Feb 22, 2018, 4:01 PM

Brownell should be expected to win. He should be expected to get us into the NCAA tournament most years. He should be expected to advance past the first round with some regularity, say every 2-3 years at least. He should be expected to keep us above mid-pack with some consistency.

That's it. Period.

He's been here 8 years. He's in his 2nd year with new facilities. If he's not accomplishing the above goals, then it doesn't matter how likeable he is, how good we think recruiting is going, or how much integrity he's got.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Feb 22, 2018, 4:38 PM

We cannot continue to win the "arms race" in football if we decide to to match North Carolina's investment in basketball. It's not a give that we could surpass them even if we did invest tens of millions. We're a football school. They are basketball schools. There aren't many schools that are "great" at both. In addition, Clemson is in the ACC. That comes with some advantages, like an easier pathway to the playoffs each year than teams in the SEC. But it also comes with some disadvantages, like considerably less annual TV revenue. I am glad our Administration has spent significant money on basketball. But since we have a limited amount of money to spend, I can live with being in the top 4 or 5 teams in the ACC in hoops, and I think we are at present. That will get us into "the dance" every 3 or 4 years. I don't think Mr. Brownell is a "great coach." I do think he's a good coach. But it's like in football. How many great coaches are out there? Of those great coaches, how many could be lured to Clemson? The great ones are being paid huge money for a reason. We aren't going to compete for them even if Brownell resigns. I think he's done a better job this year but am not bucking for a raise or a contract extension. My only concern is the venom with which we attack coaches and players on this board. I'm pretty sure recruits look around for websites like this. Why give them a reason to question the loyalty of Clemson fans. If you have a beef, write Mr. Brownell a personal letter. Write one to the AD and the University President and even the Board of Trustees. You are absolutely entitled to vent your spleen to anyone you choose. I'm almost certain that will be a more productive use of your time than bashing guys on Tnet. But then, that's just my humble, but accurate, opinion. Go Tigers!

Feb 22, 2018, 5:01 PM

I recall we once had a university president that put on paper a goal to make it to the Final Four. He didn’t really believe it or support the resources needed. Coach Barnes worked hard and almost got to the Elite Eight. He moved on just like Purnell as they knew football is king. Now fan expectations are down to make into the tournament about 3x a decade. However, I see more commitment to bringing resources to many non football sports. Our current president even attends basketball games. It’s time to raise expectations for both the level of b-ball players and the coaching staff that recruits and teaches them. We can be a program finishing in the top 5 in the conference standings annually.

Feb 22, 2018, 4:55 PM

Making the tournament this year will be a step in the right direction but he shouldn't get an extension until we string together 3 or 4 appearances in a row.

I'm pulling for him harder than anybody.

Feb 22, 2018, 4:56 PM

Smh, you want to have a coach with < 4 years on his contract, delusional.

Feb 22, 2018, 5:02 PM

If Jhop was half as smart as he thinks he is he would be alright

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I bet he would still be a jacka$$ though***

Feb 22, 2018, 5:52 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 5:20 PM [ in reply to Re: If you defend Brownell ]

Lol. He can’t recruit anyway.

Neither could OP, he recruited athletes instead of bball

Feb 22, 2018, 5:23 PM

players.

Re: Neither could OP, he recruited athletes instead of bball

Feb 22, 2018, 5:44 PM

That is somewhat true, but it should be noted that Brownell's best squad by far was his first which OP recruited.

I think Purnell's style is exactly what a program like Clemson needs. We'll never get the better basketball players, they will always go to Duke or UNC, and plenty of other schools before considering Clemson. His up tempo style gave us an edge and allowed us to attract better athletes, many of whom turned into pretty good basketball players.

Brownell should be grateful to Purnell for that lone tourney appearance.

Brad's best squad is the one playing THIS year, hate to

Feb 22, 2018, 5:49 PM

break it to you

Feb 22, 2018, 5:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Neither could OP, he recruited athletes instead of bball ]

Actually his best squad was probably 2013-2014, a year in which they should have made the tourney. (I've not included this years yet as the year isn't over)

Those athletes were really great when we lost games due to missing free throws, etc. It played out real well in tourney play too.

OP's players should thank Brownell for getting them a win in the NCAA Tourney, since OP couldn't and all.

Message was edited by: tiggerz04®

Feb 22, 2018, 6:10 PM

Well OP never played in a play-in game, his teams actually made the field of 64.

Brownell should thank the NCAA for expanding the tourney or he'd be 0-7....

Feb 22, 2018, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: If you defend Brownell ]

Hey look Jhop with another ####### post.

Complain about his recruiting then suggest hamstringing him on the recruiting trail with a contract under 4 years.

You truly are a ####### Skeeter3

“I’m pulling harder for him than any body”

So that is why you are never here to talk about wins. You really are full of it. At least when I wanted a change for baseball I was here celebrating wins

Message was edited by: Clemalum07®

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Show me

Feb 22, 2018, 5:13 PM

That Brownell tore Dante's ACL and laid a concussion on Mitchell, and I'll bring the ax to the party! I promise...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quit lying and saying you ARE pulling for him, you have

Feb 22, 2018, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: If you defend Brownell ]

already established that you are not in fact pulling for him

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-Youre-just-a-liarYoure-not-pulling-for-Brad***-23173507

Take heart.

Feb 22, 2018, 5:51 PM

When the FBi and NCAA are done we'll be at the top of the heap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Feb 22, 2018, 6:14 PM

My own opinion, and I don't expect everyone to agree. It's just my take...
1st off, I never was for this hire from day 1. But if you're a Clemson/bask
fan, what else can ya do, but give him a chance, right.
I fully realize we're NOT going land top coaches from up top echelon schools.
But I do expect to land a young energetic coach who can....
coach
recruit
motivate
& develop players.
And "I" just don't buy we have any of that in BB, but hey...
that's just me.

Feb 22, 2018, 6:33 PM

I like CBB. I like his values and his defensive approach to the game. Defense travels. I just wish he would admit it when he screws up like at the end of regulation vs FSU. We should have won that game if we had used our 3 remaining fouls to slow down their offensive attack. That's just good coaching. If he did coach the team to foul then say so. But that game cost us not only the loss at FSU and SM, but also the losses to Duke and Va Tech.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 7:07 PM

I’m going to let the season play out. We have to win at least two more ACC games to ensure a bid. Despite the injuries, a late season swoon is not good. Mitchell has to play Saturday. As for as for Brownell , making the NCAAs should get him a fourth year with a modest raise. Lower the buyout to practically nothing. I’m still not sold on his recruiting ability.

Feb 22, 2018, 9:12 PM

I was hoping there might be someone on the bench waiting for their time to shine ... unfortunately I have not seen it.

We can lose the rest of our regular season games

Feb 22, 2018, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: If you defend Brownell ]

and still get an NCAA bid. No doubt about it.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Feb 22, 2018, 9:09 PM

Unlike Bowden , Coach BB usually has less talent than the opposition especially in the wake of recent injuries that have taken 40% of our starting team off the court. We just need to win at least one more ACC game to be assured of making the dance. Any clues on what has happened to Devoe? He can't throw it in the ocean when we need him the most.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic