Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If TAMU wasn't playing Bama this week, do you
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

If TAMU wasn't playing Bama this week, do you

Sep 18, 2018, 8:59 AM

think they would be ranked? Their two wins were both at home, 59-7 over Northwestern State and 48-10 against Louisiana Monroe. Then obviously they lost to us and were extremely lucky to be in a close game...but regardless of catching tipped passes and not getting called for blatant holds it was a close game.

However, if you look at the teams that are not ranked, there are several who I think have accomplished more than TAMU, including Kentucky who is 3-0 with a road win over then-ranked Florida, Duke who is 3-0 with two semi-blowout road wins over P5 teams (21-7 and 40-27) and Syracuse who is 3-0 and just beat the heck out of FSU.

To me, it feels like TAMU has been ranked this week because they are about to play Bama.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

It's like when they ranked SCar last year before playing us.

Sep 18, 2018, 9:02 AM

What a freaking joke that was.

But, hey, we got a tombstone out of the deal!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or when they ranked SCar this year before the UGa game***

Sep 18, 2018, 9:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

HA! Maybe they'll rank Syracuse so ABC can have a Top 25

Sep 18, 2018, 9:06 AM

matchup next week.

Wouldn't shock me.

you're probably right.. but wouldn't it be great to see TAMU

pull off the shocker...

Absolutely***

Sep 18, 2018, 10:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I could see it. Obviously these voters are on

L'il Nicky's payroll. The Bama Mob's reach is unlimited

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I'm not suggesting money or a Bama mob mentality

Sep 18, 2018, 10:20 AM

It could just be subconscious looking at the big matchups this weekend, and there aren't that many. But the timing seems weird at best and TAMU's record doesn't stack up to some other teams that could be ranked in their spot.

That seems like a pretty big conspiracy since not all voters

Sep 18, 2018, 9:05 AM

work for a network that stands to benefit from a "ranked" match up. I feel like if we'd have covered the spread against them, they would not be ranked.

If we go back to the first poll, did aTm get votes more votes than Duke of Kentucky? Being this is football, aTm's laundry is worth more than Kentucky or Duke. Meaning they will get votes based on the name.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why we should all be thankful....

Sep 18, 2018, 9:09 AM

that the only poll that really matters is the CFP poll.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't necessarily disagree and I'm not sure how many

Sep 18, 2018, 10:11 AM [ in reply to That seems like a pretty big conspiracy since not all voters ]

top 25 votes they got in the preseason poll. But they weren't ranked in the preseason and weren't ranked after weeks 1 or 2. So I guess the big win over UL-Monroe convinced the voters.

Re: I don't necessarily disagree and I'm not sure how many

Sep 18, 2018, 10:55 AM

A&M had 21 points in the AP in the preseason which put them at #33 overall, and they were #30 overall in the coaches poll. After week 1 they had 29 points in the AP which put them at #29 overall, and they were 28th in the coaches.

After the game with us they had 90 points in the AP which put them at #27 overall, and they were #26 in the coaches. They then moved up to #22 this week after Boise State, USC, Arizona State, and Utah(they were 26 in the AP) lost in front of them. They also moved up to #22 in the coaches. I'm not getting why this is so strange to anyone. They gained a good bit of an increase in the voting after their game with us, and then moved ahead of other teams that lost in front of them which is how the polls work.

You cannot possibly claim the polls are consistent

Sep 18, 2018, 11:18 AM

Penn State won week 1 and moved down in the polls while Washington lost and stayed ahead of PSU.

Last week TAMU went from unranked in the AP poll to being ranked 22 after beating Louisiana Monroe at home. Meanwhile BYU went from being unranked to 25 after beating then #6 Wisconsin at Wisconsin. BYU also won at Arizona and lost at home to Cal by 3 points. Why are they 3 spots behind TAMU?

But, if you want to agree that TAMU is ranked appropriately, then why did we drop in the rankings? We started the season ranked 2nd. Georgia just passed us even though they haven't beaten a team in the top 25. We won on the road against the 22nd ranked team. So why did we get passed up?

Message was edited by: GWPTiger®

Re: You cannot possibly claim the polls are consistent

Sep 18, 2018, 12:10 PM

Penn State had to go into overtime in week 1 to beat APP State while Washington lost a close game against another team that was ranked in the top 10. I'd say losing a close game against a top 10 team is more impressive then needing overtime to beat a smaller school from a non P5 conference.

As for BYU, yes they beat Arizona 28-23, but Arizona lost 45-18 the next week to a now 2-1 Houston team. The only other game for Arizona this season was a 62-31 win over an 0-3 Southern Utah team, and that game was 24-17 at the half. I'd say the loss to Cal by BYU was a bad loss on the surface. Cal hasn't been good for a long time now, and yes they're 3-0 so far this season, but outside of BYU their wins are against Idaho State, and a 7 point win over a UNC team that lost 41-19 against East Carolina the following week.

As for Georgia, I have mixed feelings. Georgia has simply looked more dominant in the early portions of the season. I think A&M is a better team than South Carolina, but I honestly think they're close to even, and there isn't a large difference between the two. Their records have been close the last few years, and their games the past few years have been close even though A&M has been winning them. We had to defend a 2 point conversion to hold on against A&M, and Georgia had their backups in the game entering the 4th quarter up 41-10 against South Carolina. Georgia gained a lot of votes on us after that week, and then this past weekend we were 0-0 at the end of the 1st, and in a 24-7 game early in the 4th against GSU, while Georgia was up 42-7 at the half in their game. I think we'll be better than Georgia by the end of the year, but I can't get upset over them being ahead of us at this point in the season.

Re: You cannot possibly claim the polls are consistent

Sep 18, 2018, 12:15 PM

BTW, I'd have no problem if BYU were ranked ahead of A&M as I think you could go either way with it. Even then, A&M would be #23 instead of #22 and still inside the top 25. I'm sure you could go up and down the top 25 and find some good debate over individual rankings. I just don't see a problem with A&M being somewhere in the top 25. If you honestly believe Clemson is one of the best 3 teams in the country this year, or hell even just somewhere in the top 10 then I don't see how you can say A&M isn't one of the best 25 based on their game with us. I think their loss to us is probably one of the top 10 most impressive things any team has done this season, win or lose.

My guess is that ESPiN is the basis for 90+% of all sports..

Sep 18, 2018, 10:40 AM [ in reply to That seems like a pretty big conspiracy since not all voters ]

news. ESPiN wields tremendous influence on the voters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If TAMU wasn't playing Bama this week, do you

Sep 18, 2018, 9:06 AM

Jimbo can coach man ... I am not a huge fan of his outside of his job ... but the guy is a good football coach . He has his hands full this weekend however , and I suspect they lose and Alabama covers .
If though , they go in there and beat the spread as they did in our game and give Bama fits ... it will make people spit Bama out and get up off their knees for a little while . Hope they win , just don't think they can .
Early rankings mean squat , unless you're ranked inside the top 10 and are expected to stay there all season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I don't think Jimbo is a better coach than Cutcliffe***

Sep 18, 2018, 10:18 AM

Sep 18, 2018, 9:07 AM

No, but anything the pundits can do to boost Bama is what they will do.

Yes, I do think Alabama would still be ranked.***

Sep 18, 2018, 9:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Yes, I do think Alabama would still be ranked.***

Sep 18, 2018, 9:20 AM

you missed the object of the sentence again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"They" = Pronoun & "Bama" = Antecedent

Sep 18, 2018, 9:56 AM

What am I missing here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

cents we are talking Alabama

Sep 18, 2018, 10:06 AM

maybe mention the coots, that is another noun you can use.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "They" = Pronoun & "Bama" = Antecedent

Sep 18, 2018, 1:32 PM [ in reply to "They" = Pronoun & "Bama" = Antecedent ]

"If" obviously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly

Sep 18, 2018, 9:18 AM

what are you trying to suggest?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

It's clear that the voters really value

Sep 18, 2018, 9:21 AM

"quality losses" above all else

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Werent they ranked when we played them? so losing to

Sep 18, 2018, 9:23 AM

number 2 team close shouldn't drop you out

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Werent they ranked when we played them? so losing to

Sep 18, 2018, 9:33 AM

A bit of a diversion here, but I think Mizzou has a chance against Georgia. The Tigers have one of the most explosive offenses in the nation and the game is in Columbia. Even if they lose to the dawgs in a close one and the real Tigers beat GT handily, don't be surprised to see another switch in the AP rankings, with Clemson at number two. Just saying.

***NO THEY WEREN'T******

Sep 18, 2018, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Werent they ranked when we played them? so losing to ]

No, and they weren't ranked after we played them either

Sep 18, 2018, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Werent they ranked when we played them? so losing to ]

So the voters are placing more value on TAMU's 2 meaningless home wins + a close loss to us over Duke's 2 P5 road wins plus a home win over Army.

Re: No, and they weren't ranked after we played them either

Sep 18, 2018, 11:01 AM

What do you honestly think is more impressive, losing to the #2 team in the country by 2 points, or beating a 1-2 NorthWestern team that also lost to Akron, as well as a Baylor team that went 1-11 last season?

of course!! The voters did all they could to keep...

Sep 18, 2018, 9:51 AM

Aweburn ranked in the top 10 this week!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

***NO********

Sep 18, 2018, 10:04 AM

Sep 18, 2018, 10:19 AM

I feel like we go through this every year with Florida, lots of offseason hype for some BS reason, then they lose to a barely bowl eligible team like Kentucky at home. I wouldn’t take pride in beating Florida anymore i don’t care where the game is played. Also Duke’s win over Northwestern isn’t looking that good right now considering Northwestern is in the Big Ten and lost to Akron. Duke’s other win was to a Baylor team who had one win last year. To answer your question, I doubt voters put A+M in the top 25 to help ESPN, but we’ll see if they’re deservant of their ranking in a few days.

I don't think you're being objective here

Sep 18, 2018, 10:29 AM

and 3 weeks into the season we can stop looking at what a team did last year. Which resumes look better:

Duke:
Won vs Army 34-14
Won at Northwestern 21-7
Won at Baylor 40-27

Kentucky:
Won vs Central Michigan 35-20
Won at Florida 27-16
Won vs Murray State 48-10

TAMU:
Won vs Northwestern State 59-7
Lost vs Clemson 26-28
Won vs Louisiana Monroe 48-10

Heck, might as well throw un-ranked South Florida in there who has beaten 2 P5 teams already:
Won vs Elon 34-14
Won vs Georgia Tech 49-38
Won at Illinois 25-19

Re: I don't think you're being objective here

Sep 18, 2018, 11:05 AM

As much as it sounds good to say last year doesn't matter anymore, it honestly does. If it didn't then we'd be ranked behind teams like Ohio State, LSU, and probably several others. Even this season, Northwestern has lost to Akron, and I'd rank a close loss to the #2 team in the country ahead of a win over Baylor without question.

We're not ranked #2, we're ranked #3 because we won and

Sep 18, 2018, 11:29 AM

dropped in the polls. And if you're going to base the performance of that game against where we were ranked when TAMU played us, then you have to do the same for Kentucky when they won at Florida when Florida was ranked.

Finally, if last year does matter, even a little bit, then that's even more of an argument against ranking TAMU.

Re: We're not ranked #2, we're ranked #3 because we won and

Sep 18, 2018, 12:26 PM

Well I meant that we were #2 at the time of the game. We're also still #2 in the coaches poll. I can see your point on taking into account last season for A&M. However, 2 of their losses from last year were by 3 points or fewer, and 3 of their losses were by less than 10 points including against Alabama. Maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but I'd say even just based on this year that their game against us was plenty to put them into the conversation of being in the top 25. It's not as if they came out of nowhere to be ranked this week either. They've been high up in the "others receiving votes" category since the preseason, moved up further after our game, and moved up even further after several teams lost in front of them.

As for Kentucky, I'm not saying the polls are perfect. Florida and even Florida State are two teams that often get ranked higher than they should based on their names. I'm not even sure how in the world Florida got into a position to be ranked in the first place, so please don't think I'm trying to argue that the rankings are 100% right all the time.

Heck, as far as I know A&M could finish the year at 5-7. I'm simply saying that at this point in the season, I see zero reason for them to not be in the top 25. If they get blown out by Bama then they will and should drop out. I'd argue that if they were to lose a close game against Bama that they should stay in the top 25 even at 2-2.

Yes. I do. AP voters actually moved them up after our game.

Sep 18, 2018, 10:27 AM

TAMU went from 29 to 27 after they played us. Rece Davus put them at 16! Do I’m not surprised.?

So that Louisiana Monroe win at home must have really

Sep 18, 2018, 10:33 AM

gotten the voters' attention.

Re: So that Louisiana Monroe win at home must have really

Sep 18, 2018, 11:07 AM

They moved ahead of 4 teams that lost this past week.

Not saying it was a great win...you asked what we thought voters would do.

Sep 18, 2018, 1:00 PM [ in reply to So that Louisiana Monroe win at home must have really ]

The voters have shown they want TAMU to be successful- even after a loss they moved up.

I can't tell if the SEC has really gotten better or if...

Sep 18, 2018, 10:38 AM

the other conferences are falling off a bit but it appears to me that the SEC as a whole might be a bit more distance from the rest of the conferences than it was before. Imo, AnM showed itself to be fairly ranked top 25 though I believe that our game could have easily been a 3 score blowout.

I attribute the close score to our coaching staff in their attempt to manufacture drama and build urgency in order to harden the troops. I like it and I hate it at the same time.

As long as things continue to go as planned I'll go along with the program but I'm reserving the my constitutional right to blow a gasket and do some cussing if our coaching staff blows more than one game causing us to miss the playoff.

So yeah, AnM belongs in the top 25 for the luck they brought to the table. I hope it holds out a few more weeks for them but heaven help them when Karma seeks balance. Is USuCk on their schedule?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2018, 10:40 AM

Conspiracy theorists out in full force today.

A lot of this has to do with where a team started out the year ranked. Im sure a and m started the season at least in the top 50. They have two blowout wins and a loss to the #2 team in the country where they were a 2 point conversion away from potentially winning the game.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not a conspiracy theory at all, just a question

Sep 18, 2018, 10:48 AM

and I think either consciously or subconsciously the voters are impacted on upcoming matchups as opposed to what's actually taken place on the field. TAMU's resume is not nearly as impressive as some of the unranked teams' resumes. It just isn't.

Sep 18, 2018, 10:48 AM

They started the year off in the "others receiving votes" category, and moved up to something like 26 or 27 after the loss to us. They then added another win this week while teams in front of them lost, and they moved up. Yes, their two wins aren't all that impressive, but if you're a voter and honestly think Clemson is the #2 or #3 best team in the country(3 of them think we're #1) then how do you not think A&M is one of the top 25 best after losing to us by 2 points?

I also don't understand how so many people seem to think the voting works this way. For starters, it's not like Alabama needs an extra ranked win or anything. Also, for the playoff committee it will make zero difference if A&M is ranked in the top 25 vs. being just outside the top 25 at the time they played. Either A&M will have a great season and look like a quality win at the end of the year or they won't.

Who are these voters who want to make sure Bama gets to play a ranked team? Maybe some voters who also work for ESPN or whoever is showing the game, or some voters who cover SEC teams, but what about voters from other parts of the country? Why would some voter who covers areas in the PAC 12, Big 12, ACC, or Big 10 care if A&M is ranked when they play Alabama?

Even more so, A&M is also ranked in the Coaches Poll. Why would a coach from any of the other conferences vote A&M into the top 25 to make Alabama look better?

Sep 18, 2018, 11:03 AM

For those saying they are ranked to help ESPN...you do realize the Bama/A&M game is on CBS right?

FWIW S&P+ says A&M beats us over 60% of the time

Sep 18, 2018, 11:07 AM

in that game. They squandered a lot of scoring chances against us and we scored TDs on all but 1 of ours. We also got outgained by 100 or so yards. I don't think A&M was lucky to be in that game. They outplayed us in the 2nd half and thoroughly dominated the 4th quarter.

I don't even know what S&P+ is

Sep 18, 2018, 11:23 AM

but I know the two passes that were tipped and miraculously caught for huge plays were both extremely lucky. I also know they were very lucky holding was not called against them all night. I think I am probably being conservative in saying their OL holding took away 4 sacks, or at least contributed to some huge completions that kept drives going.

That's laughable !!!!!***

Sep 18, 2018, 11:52 AM [ in reply to FWIW S&P+ says A&M beats us over 60% of the time ]

What's laughable about it? They outgained us, we were lucky

Sep 18, 2018, 12:03 PM

to hold on the way we played in the 4th

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They won't be ranked next week***

Sep 18, 2018, 12:00 PM

What if they lose in a close game?

Sep 18, 2018, 1:00 PM

If a close home loss to the then 2nd ranked team in the country moves them up in the rankings, why wouldn't a close road loss to the first ranked team in the country move them up?

HeII if we're in Never Never Land, what if they actually

Sep 18, 2018, 4:06 PM

win?

Sep 18, 2018, 12:01 PM

there is a good possibility TA&M will still be ranked AFTER they lose to Bama......you know it will be a great loss even though they will be 2 - 2 BECAUSE they play in the SEC.........what a bunch of crap........Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic