Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hypothetical question and would appreciate serious
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,443

Hypothetical question and would appreciate serious

May 26, 2018, 5:50 PM

answers. Granted the recruiting news these last few days made me think about this.

If your son was a definite five star recruit and had offers from all the top programs, would you prefer he commits to a school that is loaded with five star recruits at his position, knowing it will probably be at least three or four years before he has a chance to start, or would you prefer he commit to a school when there is a good chance he will start no later than his second year?

Take your orange tinted glasses off while you think of your answer. To be honest, I am not real sure what my answer would be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hypothetical question and would appreciate serious

May 26, 2018, 5:59 PM

There would be no question in my mind, if I was a 5 star DE and wanted to play soon I would not pick Clemson. The quarterback situation is a perfect example of this. As we have seen three QBs have transferred so to get some playing time. From what I can see we are quite deep with DEs.

You could answer this question six ways to Sunday, but

May 26, 2018, 6:01 PM

the real answer is where does he want to go to college.

My son's had full scholarship offers from

May 26, 2018, 6:03 PM

5 schools for academics and they both chose better academic schools offering only half scholarships, but the felt was a better fit for them. My wallet didn't like it but they went to where they felt "at home." For them it was the same sort of feeling I had at Clemson.

More directly to your question, I hope they would consider which school is best for their development. Waiting 2 or 3 years to start but still developing at possibly at faster rate than at a school he could play at immediately should be considered. Academics should also be considered. What do they want to do after playing is over?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would tell my 5* son that I love Clemson

May 26, 2018, 6:09 PM

but that he should follow his heart to the school where he will be happiest and that will do the best job of helping him develop his skills.

If he wanted my input I would give it but in the end it's his life and his decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would tell my 5* son that I love Clemson

May 26, 2018, 6:17 PM

And we all know where lazy liars would be more comfortable going to school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: I would tell my 5* son that I love Clemson

May 26, 2018, 6:40 PM

The people matter. I’d look for great people at great programs. In my opinion those people are EXTREMELY rare. Big time college sports is cutthroat. Much of that is driven by the fact that the Head Coach is more often than not one of the highest paid public employees in the State. It’s tens of millions of dollars and in some cases their contracts are now 100’s of millions of dollars.......and then there is the endorsement money. All that money makes winning the only choice. Between the money paid and the required winning, the young athletes very often become pawns to be sacrificed. It’s a very rare person that keeps all of that in perspective and puts the best interest of their young student athletes first.

I would discuss all of that with my son, then let him

May 26, 2018, 6:18 PM

decide. I want him to go where he's going to be happy for the next 3-5 years; somewhere he will be challenged and will grow not only as an athlete, but as a student and a person.

Strictly from a football standpoint, all other things being equal, he's better off going to a school where he's got the least competition. Again, strictly from a football standpoint, the ideal situation would be to go to a school that has good coaches, the right style of offense, and needs
my son at QB. That would be much better than going to a school that is loaded at the QB position for the forseable future.

Having said that, it's not all about football, not by a long shot, and it shouldn't be, even for a 5-Star. It's got to feel right all the way around, and there are a lot of things that go into that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Main thing is to be happy and feel secure

May 26, 2018, 7:05 PM

If he desired to try next level, I would go to the school/team that offered the most exposure. Only starting as a senior is enough if with a top five school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Many of these young players

May 26, 2018, 7:26 PM

want to start right away vs wait a year or two to the "the man". USCe is benefiting because of our and UGA's depth and we have to come to terms some SC kids want to play at USCe, good or bad. Lumpy has put players in the NFL and he can still sell the SEC brand too. What Lumpy hasn't done yet is become a top 5 HC; Dabo makes almost anyone's Top 5 (usually Top 3).

I guess it depends what position.

May 26, 2018, 7:29 PM

If he were a DE I would realize that 5 star DE's should be starting by year two and at worst year 3 with a redshirt or developing slowly. I would take the school with great athletes winning.

I forgot to add, I don't think there is a much of a...

May 26, 2018, 7:34 PM

difference as far as NFL dreams go whether a player like Belk plays for us or the Coots, other than learning good morals from Dabo and the staff. That may help staying out of trouble. That said, if the player is concentrating on football, I think they are both equal for NFL dreams. There will just be college championships and amazing memories at Clemson that will never happen in Columbia.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,443
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic