Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How lame is soccer?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

How lame is soccer?

Jul 15, 2018, 12:59 PM

The best team in the world is from France. That's how lame it is.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How lame is soccer?

Jul 15, 2018, 1:02 PM

Five billion fans from across the world disagree with you, but hey, carry on.

5 bil;lion people are wrong***

Jul 15, 2018, 10:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

edges out #2 cricket in popularity

Jul 16, 2018, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: How lame is soccer? ]

which is of course, religiously watched by the soccer people too, because, you know, you can't disagree with 2.5 billion people.

Top 10 Popular Sports

rank Sport Estimated Fans Regional Popularity
1. Soccer / Association Football 3.5 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, America
2. Cricket 2.5 Billion Asia, Australia, UK
3. Basketball 2.2 Billion US, Canada, China and Philippines
4. Field Hockey 2 Billion Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia
5. Tennis 1 Billion Europe, Americas, and Asia
6. Volleyball 900 Million Asia, Europe, Americas, and Australia
7. Table Tennis 850 Million Asia, Europe, Africa and Americas
8. Baseball 500 Million US, Japan, Cuba, and Dominican Republic
9 American Football 410 Million USA mainly
Rugby 410 Million France, England, New Zealand, South Africa
10 Golf 390 Million Europe, Asia, America, Canada

https://sporteology.com/top-10-popular-sports-world/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is why the NBA has so much more growth potential

Jul 16, 2018, 10:09 AM

than any other American sports league too.

Clemson plays soccer. I don't think that's lame.***

Jul 15, 2018, 1:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Clemson plays soccer. I don't think that's lame.***

Jul 15, 2018, 3:51 PM

With season tickets starting at $40.00 ...its a big deal ! They actually give season ticket holders a free soccer scarf . If I lived in the upstate I would go to the soccer team games ... just for that sweet scarf !

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 15, 2018, 1:04 PM

I think you take the cake.

soccer players do it for 90 minutes***

Jul 15, 2018, 1:05 PM

Re: soccer players do it for 90 minutes***

Jul 16, 2018, 10:16 AM

Yeah 90 minutes of total boredom. All that running around to score one or 2 goals. I'd rather watch tennis played using golf clubs before I waste an hour and a half of my life on a soccer game.If you like soccer hey thats fine. It's just not for ME.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya its ghey

Jul 15, 2018, 1:05 PM

I know this isn't fair to say, but it always.......

Jul 15, 2018, 1:23 PM

looks to me like 90% of the goals scored in soccer are pure luck. They look like someone just happens to be in the right place at the right time and gets a lucky kick in.

But I know there's a lot more strategy to the game than I know or understand, but I can't get too interested in it.

Re: I know this isn't fair to say, but it always.......

Jul 15, 2018, 1:43 PM

Most goals are luck but it’s a lot more physical game than you think. I had the same opinion of soccer as most on here until my daughter started to play. Needless to say I’ve learned a tremendous amount about the game in the last 8 years and countless hours at the soccer field.

1/2 of the goals were scored on pure mistakes

Jul 15, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to I know this isn't fair to say, but it always....... ]

in the World Cup Championship.

That's why soccer frustrated me.

An Own Goal Header
An accidental handball
A missed kick by the goalkeeper.

That and players taking a dive.

Which arguably was a bad call leading to the own goal.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: 1/2 of the goals were scored on pure mistakes

Jul 15, 2018, 2:48 PM

1st goal was not POSSIBLY a bad call. It was CLEARLY a bad call. Soccer refers to that kind of play as “simulation”. Simulation is a yellow card offense, 2 yellows and you are out of the game. Simulation, attempting to deceive the officials in order to gain an adavantage is considered “unsporting behavior”, those are FIFA’s words and it is a yellow card every time. Instead of getting a yellow card he was rewarded with a shot on goal. Soccer is not serious about getting the calls correct and that is why it will continue to fail in the US. Soccer has been feebly attempting to reign in simulation for about 10-15 years. All of the necessary technology has existed for years to stamp it out, but soccer is more concerned with its traditions than it is getting the call right. It’s just that simple. You just watched the World Champions rewarded for cheating, total disgrace.

Jul 15, 2018, 6:24 PM

France was the best team throughout the tourney IMO. I agree it was a bad call but ultimately they were better if you watched and understand the game. It was a great tourney.

Jul 15, 2018, 6:31 PM

BUT CROATIA CONTROLLED THE BALL MORE, HAD MORE SHOTS ON GOAL AND HAD MORE CORNER KICKS, CORRECT?

null

Jul 15, 2018, 6:42 PM

Croatia played a great game. These are the best of the best but don’t confuse the style of play. France plays a counterattack game. Croatia can hold the ball all they want. Who made the best of their opportunities? Ultimate France had better overall talent IMO. It was clear early on in the tourney that they would go far.

Jul 16, 2018, 11:48 AM

Rileyhound said:

Croatia played a great game. These are the best of the best but don’t confuse the style of play. France plays a counterattack game. Croatia can hold the ball all they want. Who made the best of their opportunities? Ultimate France had better overall talent IMO. It was clear early on in the tourney that they would go far.

Yup. France doesn't particularly want the ball. They're content to sit back in that odd-looking 4-3-2-1 they play, which ends up shaped like a funnel, and let teams dink it around on the outside...and then, when you turn it over, look out. Basically all those dudes who would be WR's here in the states - Pogba and Mbappe in particular - are wingers and midfielders over there...and they turn on the jets, come rocketing outta the back, and if you can't run with them they're going to be on your goal in about three passes. Their opportunities are going to be a lot more frightening than yours...because they'll have numbers. And they ain't just fast; Holy Mother are those dudes good on the ball.

You gotta be really careful going forward against France, and even Croatia - who had the slickest possession midfield in the Cup this year - wasn't good enough. Those French counterattacks broke their backs. (Which is probably the first time in history anybody has used those words in that order.)

Yeah they don't run 40s and stuff over in Europe

Jul 16, 2018, 1:22 PM

to my knowledge, but Mbappe probably has legit 4.3x speed.

Jul 15, 2018, 1:42 PM

Jake Bentley should be playing Soccer. His Flopping abilities are top notch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2018, 1:54 PM

Soccer is the only sport where players are required to use their head. I can't figure out if that is smart or dumb because in a football game the coaches are always telling their players to use their head. It gets kinda confusing to me. Oh well, I'm off to England tomorrow so I'll ask my English kin about that. If you know the British, they will want to talk Cricket, another game I know nothing about. But I have noticed this about Cricket, when they are dressed for Cricket, I don't know if they are going to a sporting event or to a wedding.

In the meantime I'll be back on Aug. 1, unless some beautiful English lass kidnaps me. If that happens, please don't pay the ransom. I bet LightBulbBill would really envy me if that were to happen.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 15, 2018, 1:55 PM

Jake Bentley still should be in high school

Jul 15, 2018, 2:44 PM

He’s not? His team plays like it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 16, 2018, 9:16 AM

Ha ha ha ha ha !

Perfect.

How long before usc claims The World Cup

Jul 15, 2018, 2:02 PM

because the French jerseys have a Gallic Coq on them?

null

Re: How long before usc claims The World Cup

Jul 15, 2018, 2:46 PM

C’est la vie! C’est la vie! C’est la vie!

*chanted to the tune SEC, SEC, SEC!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 15, 2018, 2:28 PM

How lame is adult soccer*? I have no problem with youth leagues.

Jul 15, 2018, 4:59 PM

Your entire team plays like a youth league .

DB23

Jul 16, 2018, 12:58 AM

…oh, and your team lost, so take your participation trophy and go home. Great athletes, for sure, but I'm waiting for Dexter Lawrence to take the field, then we'll see what football is all about, oh yeah!

Go Tigers!!!

The highest paid soccer player in the world makes 63M

Jul 15, 2018, 2:30 PM

A year.

Re: The highest paid soccer player in the world makes 63M

Jul 15, 2018, 5:52 PM

What's that in a goals to dollars ratio ?

DB23

Jul 15, 2018, 2:47 PM

I always enjoyed watching our teams play while in school.

France's help is a large reason why the USA

Jul 15, 2018, 3:07 PM

Even exists. Also they gave us Lady Liberty

If it wasn't for the USA

Jul 15, 2018, 3:50 PM

the French would be speaking German.

null

ok so we helped them

Jul 15, 2018, 10:48 PM

150 years after they helped us become a nation

Re: ok so we helped them

Jul 16, 2018, 1:02 AM

...thanks to a man named Ben Franklin. Period.

The French wernt helping the US

Jul 16, 2018, 8:26 AM [ in reply to ok so we helped them ]

The continental army was helping the French fight the British on north American soil.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Not nearly as lame as you whining about it.***

Jul 15, 2018, 3:20 PM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Careful picking on soccer, they'll fall down injured. Not

Jul 15, 2018, 3:26 PM

unlike 5 head

Jul 15, 2018, 3:28 PM

Early contention for worst OP of the year. It’s only the most popular sport in the world bruh.

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Jul 15, 2018, 3:54 PM

Lame-lame-lame-lame-lame-lame-lame..... LAME! ??

Jul 15, 2018, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: How lame is soccer? ]

Early contention for worst OP of the year. It’s only the most popular sport in the world bruh.

The rest of the world - not here in the good ole US. I like to see the Tigers win and I'm glad we are competitive, but at the end of the day,....., who cares what these European dip$hit$ like.

Jul 16, 2018, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: How lame is soccer? ]

Thats because most of the world are dumb arses.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Popular != Good

Jul 16, 2018, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: How lame is soccer? ]

For example - the top rated TV show today is "Big Brother" followed closely by "The Bachelorette".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'bout like this to me....

Jul 15, 2018, 4:32 PM
Lame.jpg(167.7 K)

On a scale of 0-10 with 0 being college football and 10...

Jul 15, 2018, 5:42 PM

being as exciting as watching paint dry or grass grow I'd give soccer a solid 12.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So lame that the Braves broke their attendance record

Jul 15, 2018, 6:10 PM

yesterday at Suntrust with 42,130.

Then, Atlanta United broke the MLS single game record today with: 72,243 (yes,....30,000 more).

I'll admit, I'm no fan, b/c I grew up in area with no soccer. However, I've been to one Atlanta United game and it was fun & exciting to watch.

I'll tell you what's not lame about The World Cup

Jul 15, 2018, 8:40 PM

The players play for their respective countries and are proud to do so . Very refreshing to see .

Re: I'll tell you what's not lame about The World Cup

Jul 16, 2018, 1:04 AM

AMEN!!! Even if none, or very few, are actually form the country they play for!!!

Soccer is only good for creating field goal kickers...

Jul 16, 2018, 8:33 AM

i tell my nephews the best job in the nfl is a FG kicker. As long as your good at it. Get paid 6 mil to work an 1/8th of the time the other guys do but the caveat is you better be consistent or you'll be an insurance salesman in no time.

My biggest complaint about soccer has always been,

Jul 16, 2018, 9:20 AM

"Look Ma, no hands!" It would be a helluva lot more interesting game if you could use hands and feet, instead of just feets. Hands are very useful appendages, why design a game that purposely leaves them out?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic