Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
House Dems actually holding mock Mueller hearings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

House Dems actually holding mock Mueller hearings

Jul 23, 2019, 4:50 PM

On with the media circus, it’s showtime again...

https://imgur.com/a/YZ4tPof

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The House Dems dismantled the Committee on Terrorism

Jul 23, 2019, 4:53 PM

to set up the Committee to Investigate the President....

Re: House Dems actually holding mock Mueller hearings

Jul 23, 2019, 5:32 PM

Sorry, anybody who says the matter is "over" and Trump was "exonerated" simply didn't read the report.

The contents of the investigation are pretty insane, actually. Mueller clearly showed that the Russians meddled in our election for Trump's benefit, and exactly how. It just as clearly showed that Trump's guys dumped the product of a Russian hack to WikiLeaks two weeks before the election in an attempt to derail Hillary.

The investigation cleared Trump and his crew of actually (successfully) collaborating illegally with the Russians while the deeds were being done, which appears to have been as much a testament to the dysfunction of the Trump campaign as anything else. (In the words of Jared Kushner: "Collude with the Russians? We can't even collude with each other.") It does appear both sides tried on several occasions to initiate contact - again, which was detailed in Mueller's report - but never successfully hooked up.

That's "exoneration" nowadays?

On the obstruction part of the investigation, though, it's bad. Real bad. There's about 10 separate instances of blatant obstruction most prosecutors believe anybody else would have been charged with, but Bill Barr ran interference and claimed otherwise, and, well, he's the Attorney General. Trump had still better hope he wins 2020 or he's going to go to jail for obstruction, because a Democrat AG will charge Trump ten seconds after the new president is sworn in...and it's pretty much a slam-dunk in an actual court of law. Mueller is a thorough guy, and Trump was, well, flagrant in his attempts to quash the probe. It was dumb and could cost him. Huge.

But if the AG is a Trump appointee, where does the oversight come from? The answer is right there in the Constitution: the House. Oversight (and impeachment) is a constitutional function of the House of Representatives. And right now they're doing exactly what any opposition party would be doing (remember the Starr report, folks? It lasted four years!) and the reason they're summoning Mueller is precisely because this very much is theater, and because Republicans (aided in no small part by Fox News' late-night personalities, which has become State Media TV for Trump) are falsely claiming that the matter is "resolved".

Uh...no.

This matter is in no way resolved. The AG who was appointed by Trump doesn't get a vote in this matter, the House does. Trump still has massive legal exposure and the Democrats are going to beat him up one side of the head and down the other with it. Mind, Trump probably won't get impeached because there is just about a zero per cent chance that McConnell and the Republican Senate will vote to remove him (unless Trump really steps in it at some point, which seems entirely possible) but it still forces the politicians defending him to stand up and be counted...and be accountable for that vote. If you don't think Pelosi and the other high-ranking Dems aren't deliberately waiting until just before the election to make that vote happen you haven't been paying attention.

cereal question that I don't actually know the answer to

Jul 23, 2019, 5:39 PM

your very last part

If you don't think Pelosi and the other high-ranking Dems aren't deliberately waiting until just before the election to make that vote happen you haven't been paying attention

how is that any different than meddling in an election/collusion (even though we all know that collusion is fine and conspiracy is actually against the law)

again, it's a for real question that I don't know the answer to, but seems like a last minute effort to derail Trump by actual politicians is similar to a last minute attempt to derail Clinton by Wikileaks.

Re: cereal question that I don't actually know the answer to

Jul 23, 2019, 6:14 PM

Oh, no doubt it's dirty and political. So was the dump. The most advantageous time to unload on an opponent is about two weeks before an election, so a lot of times if you get something damaging on somebody you hold it until then. It's still fresh in the minds of voters when you do it that way.

The biggest difference from a legal standpoint was that the damaging goods Trump's guys had was "fruit of a poisoned tree", as it was the product of malicious hack by agents of a foreign (and hostile) government, whereas the Mueller report was a report produced by the Special Investigator appointed for just that purpose.

That investigatory evidence was supposed to be used for an impeachment proceeding, mind, but we all know that that'll never happen as long as McConnell controls the Senate, so the Dems will have to settle for trying to use it as election fodder.

Jul 23, 2019, 9:16 PM

No doubt the democrats plan for the next hearing has been shared with their media outlets to allow them to prepare. As soon the hearing concludes watch how quickly talking heads appear on the propaganda outlets with the obligatory panel of 4 “experts” floating on the screen. Mueller will answer Dem questions with comments that are laced with innuendo to hurt Trump, he will answer Rep questions with “I can’t go beyond what’s in the report or some ####”. Here’s mueller making absolutely sure the DOJ tells him to limit his responses, just to cover his a$$.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2019/07/23/scheme-team-ploy-mueller-asked-barr-for-letter-outlining-testimony-restrictions/

They’re going to try to make this a one sided talk show with no counter arguments. Google Faceberg and Twitter will be right there to clean up any opposing conservative viewpoints.

Any republican with a set of balls should be asking why Mueller’s key witness is being picked up for child sexual abuse.

Mueller needs to be hung in the street for sedition.

Jul 24, 2019, 5:53 AM

I would agree Mueller is covering his butt, but anybody who thinks Mueller is anything except a straight-shooting Old School cop desperately - and not particularly successfully - trying to do his job in what amounts to an impossible situation makes me question humanity.

Mueller is a Good Guy, a straight arrow. Anybody who can't see that doesn't want to. He tries to get it absolutely right, and he honestly believes in the law. The problem is that America is so polarized right now no matter what he does or says he's going to wind up as the goat.

The left wants Mueller to hang Trump. He won't do that. He did his job as Special Counsel and gave them the facts, now he's going to tell the House going any further is their job, which it is. And I don't think this staged theater is going to move the needle much. I'd be shocked if Mueller plays along, at all.

The right wants Mueller to exonerate Trump. He won't do that either. He's going to stand up and say exactly what he did find. Trying to impugn his character is dumb - the man's record is pretty much impeccable - and it'll blow up on anyone who tries it.

Mueller is just Mueller. All he did was report exactly what was found. What Congress does with that information is ultimately up to them, since they're the ones with actual oversight.

This spin is just that. You're throwing Conservative Tree House out as a legit source while decrying "their" media outlets?

Phew, man. CTH gets low marks pretty much across the board; it's one failed fact check away, actually, from being rated a "questionable" news source. They aren't (quite!) as wonky as, say, Gateway Pundit or Truth Revolt but they're pretty durn bad.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-last-refuge/

sure, straight shooting old timer

Jul 24, 2019, 8:31 AM

He’s a hired hit man plain and simple.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/transcript-in-mueller-report-selectively-edited-to-cast-suspicion-on-trump_2947573.html

Re: sure, straight shooting old timer

Jul 24, 2019, 11:48 AM

MemphisCat said:

Again, it's pretty obvious you're surfing the hard right blogosphere part of the Interwebz. Epoch Times is another far-right mag known for pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, mixed factuality in reporting...and for holding Trump's jock no matter how ridiculous the stuff coming out his mouth may be. And what your article fails to do is provide exact quotes or references. A lot of transcripts are edited for both brevity and pertinence; as long as Mueller's team also provided the unedited full version and original recordings they are within bounds.

Keep in mind Mueller's team was essentially acting as the prosecution in the Special Investigation. Their job was first to investigate and second to build a case that would stand up in court - and then hand that off to the House where the case would in effect be tried. And in an actual prosecution, if you get caught cooking a transcript and misrepresenting what you're doing is building reasonable doubt right into your own argument. So I'm leery of stuff that shows prosecutors acting in a demonstrably dishonest manner because they're doing the defense's job for them if they get caught doing it. And nobody has ever called Mueller inept.

So did his team cook a transcript? Did they alter or delete crucial context? How "egregious" - in the words of that article - was the alteration? The article doesn't say and provides no direct quotes. And sorry, Devin Nunes is not even remotely a reliable commentator on the subject; the dude is a flat-out hyper-partisan wingnut who has become's Trump's most reliable attack dog in Congress; even most Republicans are embarrassed by the guy.

I'd be surprised if 1% of Americans read the report. Don't

Jul 23, 2019, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Re: House Dems actually holding mock Mueller hearings ]

even have to read the whole report, Mueller gave us neat little summaries of each section, it's an easy read. If anyone can read the report or just the summaries and can truthfully come away thinking Trump and his campaign did nothing wrong, they should have their sanity questioned.

Which leads me to the question of why are so many going to the wall for THIS guy? If evidence like this were presented against any other president I've lived through, they'd have been chased out of the WH with pitchforks and torches. And none of our previous presidents even come close to Trump's ill-suitedness for office.

Mind-bottling for sure.

Jul 23, 2019, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: House Dems actually holding mock Mueller hearings ]

Lol if he wanted to shut down Mueller he would have invoked executive privilege, which he didn’t. Instead he opened his entire cabinet and office to Mueller’s/Clinton’s hitmen and gave them everything they asked for, and more. It’s already public that mueller altered witness testimony.

Jul 23, 2019, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: House Dems actually holding mock Mueller hearings ]

"It just as clearly showed that Trump's guys dumped the product of a Russian hack to WikiLeaks two weeks before the election in an attempt to derail Hillary."

Wait...what??? You literally just said that Trump's "guys" gave the Russian Hack intel to Wikileaks? That's been said absolutely nowhere, and definitely not in the report.

The source of the hacked info is still up in the air, but the main suspects are the GRU funneling it to Wikileaks, who appear to have passed it to Trump Jr leading up to the election. That's basic intel, no different than the Steele report. It's dirty and it sucks, but you can't just type a novella and throw in there an implication that Trump got the intel from the Russians and passed it to Wikileaks. It's completely incorrect.

In Barr's words, "“Under applicable law, publication of these types of materials would not be criminal unless the publisher also participated in the underlying hacking conspiracy,” Attorney General William Barr said in a statement Thursday. “Here too, the Special Counsel’s report did not find that any person associated with the Trump campaign illegally participated in the dissemination of the materials.”"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 24, 2019, 7:15 AM

there is a lot at stake for the dems here. If they do not handle themselves properly an come across as trying to force the narrative and ask questions mueller is unwilling to answer, it will not be a good look for them.

And anyone worth their salt rehearses their roles prior to an event like this. Whether it be a criminal attorney holding mock trials, political candidates holding mock debates, or members of congress before a hearing, it is normal, responsible behavior.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can hear the media now

Jul 24, 2019, 8:35 AM

“It’s what Mueller DID’NT say that matters!”

They’ll try to cover their ### anyway they can.

Re: I can hear the media now

Jul 24, 2019, 9:34 AM

I mean, how many times do yo have to proven wrong about what you think the media is going to say?

Jul 24, 2019, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Re: House Dems actually holding mock Mueller hearings ]

It's pretty standard and normal. I am somewhat surprised that Memphis is that ignorant to something so standard and normal.

Jul 24, 2019, 9:35 AM

he is just parroting what the angry guy on the radio said.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic