Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest question, not a knock.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,134

Honest question, not a knock.

Aug 17, 2018, 11:09 AM

Dabo and company have said the nod with go to the Senior all else equal in the QB race.

My question to all is; if a senior is actually tied with a freshman on every other aspect performance wise does it not make sense to go the other way with the player that MAY have a higher ceiling and potential to be greater vs the seniority route where that person MAY have peaked after 4 years in the system?

Just an honest question for debate. Not a knock either way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is something to be said

Aug 17, 2018, 11:17 AM

about putting in the work (4 years), senior leadership, relationships built over the 4 years, etc.

I want TLaw to play as much as the next guy, but if they are equal as far as diagnosing defenses, knowing the playbook, passing, etc. then I think the nod should go to the senior.

In this case I think if in gametime situations if Trevor looks best then I think the switch will come quick.

Re: Honest question, not a knock.

Aug 17, 2018, 11:17 AM

It apparently would make sense if you were the Coach. Yet Dabo is the Coach and he feels that, all things being equal (which they aren't), he will honor the senior. Since I support Dabo wholeheartedly, I also support his choice as to who plays on Saturday. I hope you do as well. But in reality, whether or not either of us supports him, it's his choice to make and he isn't bashful about making it. That's just one of the reasons he makes the big bucks. I, for one, think he's worth every penny. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no sir.

Aug 17, 2018, 11:22 AM

all things equal you go with the senior based off experience.

you know how the senior will react live in front of 80,000 people.

that is the 1 thing you can't simulate in practice or with drills.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: no sir.

Aug 17, 2018, 11:49 AM

Yeah, but when your demeanor is like his and DW4, they don’t even know the fans are there. I mean obviously they appreciate it but both grew up under intense scrutiny and that’s one thing Dabo has pointed out over and over.

I honestly believe it’s just football at that point.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every1 is Srgt York before

Aug 17, 2018, 11:53 AM

the bullets start flying

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 17, 2018, 11:19 AM

If all is truly equal I would think you would go with senior who has paid his dues. He has to be beat out.

Aug 17, 2018, 11:35 AM

I think that would result in working that higher ceiling guy in slow and easy getting their feet wet before they would have to throw them in and say it's yours until it has to be next man up. Personally, as much as I would love to see TL leading our team, I honestly believe that it's better to work a true freshman in with small bites at a time so not to choke him to death with to much pressure at once!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its honestly just spin to justify starting KB

Aug 17, 2018, 11:37 AM

Lawrence is the better QB, everyone knows it. But KB was starting the Furman game no matter if Joe Montana and Tom Brady was on our roster. TL takes the job over in the aTm game.(spoiler, KB starts that game as well)

Re: Its honestly just spin to justify starting KB

Aug 17, 2018, 11:55 AM

I agree. Actually think KB will start most of the season unless he has a game like bama. I also agree with allorange, work him in slow as long as he gets a couple series in the first half of games and not like last year where it’s mop duty with the 3’s and 4’s. Will that happen? Don’t know.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please expand

Aug 17, 2018, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Its honestly just spin to justify starting KB ]

Specifically, how do you know this?

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

I get your intentions are good but this will end up rehashing the same argument.

Aug 17, 2018, 12:00 PM

My thoughts are this and only relevant if exactly equal. Who is your proven commodity know exactly what you’re going to get. Who do you know has been under the pressure of an acc Championship, played against auburn, Alabama. Who do you know isn’t going to freak out fumble, throw an interception, or the like? Again this only is an argument if entirely equal and I honestly don’t think this is the case. I also after seeing tl I don’t think that he is going to fold under pressure. I’m just telling you the thought process of how again if all things equal the senior might get the nod. Not to mention the intangibles of relationship with team leadership etc

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I get your intentions are good but this will end up rehashing the same argument.

Aug 17, 2018, 12:06 PM

https://youtu.be/OwDmg74rhCw

Re: I get your intentions are good but this will end up rehashing the same argument.

Aug 17, 2018, 12:21 PM [ in reply to I get your intentions are good but this will end up rehashing the same argument. ]

That’s exactly the process and believe that is what allorange is pointing out above, and certainly think your point is well, on point. But I do want to see TL get at least a couple series early in the aTm game... even if tie score.

Football program is more than just what we see in the games.

Aug 17, 2018, 12:21 PM

Leadership drives work ethic in film and weight room. Experience shows up in game, but also at practice too.
So all things equal, makes sense to give the nod to the senior.
In boxing, if there's a draw, do you gove the belt to the challenger? Ric Flair all the way on this one.. to be the man, you got to beat the man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I can understand both points of view but Dabo sides with

Aug 17, 2018, 1:37 PM

seniors because of the experience factor and thinks it will help win more games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they are actually equal right now

Aug 17, 2018, 1:50 PM

I’d go with TL. I love KB but being equal means TL only needs game experience to be better than KB. And potentially better and better and better as the season goes on. You win championships in the narrow little spaces where the conditions line up for you. We have several players who decided to come back this year rather than leave. They did this to do something great. KB would make a very capable backup, there could be situations to use him. But better QB play will be required for us to win it all. We can win a lot either way, but I’m talking about winning it all.

Aug 17, 2018, 1:51 PM

Lots of good responses. Like honest open debate. Changed my mind really. I was leaning toward the freshman in the all else equal scenario but slightly swayed other way now.

There’s still room to grow beyond that coming into games until he takes role as starter, whenever that may be.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,134
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic