Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finesse Team?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Finesse Team?

Jul 21, 2019, 4:33 PM

Smash-mouth teams are your best indicator of who plays the most physical... and the one stat that measures smash-mouth football the best is sack rates! That should not be debatable, but since that does not favor the SEC talk, they will debate it! Here are your numbers:

Sacks allowed per attempt (percentage):
Clemson 3.27, rated number 8 in the list
Alabama 3.74, #13
Coots 4.68, #23
Notre Dame 5.43, #41
Georgia 5.71, #43
Interesting to note: NC ST was #3, UNC #4, Missouri #7, no other teams form the two conferences in top 25.

Sacks From defense per game:
Clemson 3.6, #1
Alabama 3.1, #9
Notre Dame 2.6, #32
Georgia 1.8, #84
Coots 1.75, #95
9 ACC teams were ranked better than Georgia, with Virginia and Duke #85 & 86 right behind them!

So, given that the sacks allowed and the sacks taken are two of the best indicators of smash-mouth (physical) football, I think we can put this argument to rest!

Message was edited by: JPRICH Top Paw®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finesse Team?

Jul 21, 2019, 5:02 PM

Further evidence...Yards per play allowed:

Clemson 4.2, #2
Notre Dame 4.6, #12
Alabama 4.7, #21
Georgia 4.9, #29
Coots 5.5, #60

Physicality is measured by your ability to push/hit the other team. If a teams offensive line can stop your defensive line like a brick wall (not allow sacks), then it is more physical. If your defensive line is able to run through the opponents offensive line (cause sacks), then it is more physical.

One note for the Coot WR...For a wide receiver, the only contact they should have is a push at the line and a hit when catching. Anything else is pass interference on one or the other! So for a wide receiver to say another team is more physical than another, then he is really saying that one team interferes more than another? In that case, I can agree that Georgia meets that criteria, along with all SEC teams, refs rarely call pass interference against SEC teams, except when it is just too obvious!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 5:15 PM

Good point!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 5:16 PM

Not sure why you are so worked up over a coot comment. We are not like a Wisconsin or UGAy smash mouth running team. But that’s ok as our spread em out and score is plenty physical to min a national championship in case you haven’t noticed

Jul 21, 2019, 5:26 PM

Funny you should say that:
Yards per running play:
Clemson 6.5, #2
Alabama 5.1, #21
Georgia 5.8, #7
Notre Dame 4.5, #52
Coots 4.4, #55

So, even on that metric, we are better than the pups or Wisky (#5)!

And I am not worked up over a coot comment, just giving a perspective that makes his context false!

Jul 21, 2019, 8:51 PM

It’s a plagiarized Coot comment - the original belongs to Desmond Howard last season.

Nobody’s really that fixated on semantics, though. To paraphrase this dude who used to write stuff:
“What’s in a name? Dominance by any other name would smell as sweet.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

Jul 21, 2019, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Finesse Team? ]

Wisconsin was the team that came to my mind when I think of "smash mouth football." To me it is referring to running between the tackles and is not related to passing at all. What I interpret as "smash mouth football", just doesn't win games against very good teams. It doesn't mean that we are soft to not play that style. It just means that we have adjusted to todays game and aren't stuck in the past.

Jul 21, 2019, 6:28 PM

Bama forgot to convert to the high-powered offenses of today, and is getting left behind with their "3 yards and a cloud of dust" approach to the game. It is just a matter of time before they realize the error of their ways.

BTW: I would not be surprised to see TAMU win the SEC West this year by beating Bama at home.

Ur 4getting the all important biased EYE TEST!!!***

Jul 21, 2019, 7:01 PM

I have two stats for you.

Jul 21, 2019, 7:03 PM

15-0

44-16

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 7:33 PM

Sirrius question, what is a finesse team?

Jul 21, 2019, 8:44 PM

A finesse team is an intelligent team - defensively, they expect and read the right play and execute the correct response, with a "tear his head off" mentality and effort; offensively, they read the opposing defense and its alignment, check-off as necessary, and simply surprise them with speed, power and perfect execution. That, IMHO, is a finesse team.

Go Tigers, and "finesse" the sh## out of them all!!!

Jul 21, 2019, 10:18 PM

Thank you. Trying to understand why we have been so incensed by being called a finesse team by the talking heads this past year.

Jul 21, 2019, 9:18 PM

Your team is best in the country and has another national championship tropy to prove it. Why are you trying so hard? Who are you hoping to convince with all this...the people who already agree with you?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 10:09 PM

Why are you worried? We are just taking what the SEC is saying, and showing how ridiculous it is! We are not worried...but you appear to be worried about not being able to use this excuse! It is the SEC teams, especially Bama, that are trying too hard to give excuses!

Message was edited by: JPRICH Top Paw®

Jul 22, 2019, 12:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Finesse Team? ]

Sometimes you get tired of people whose butts you have just kicked taking pot shots at you. It reminds me of the bully who just got knocked on his a** three times in the the school playground yelling "is that all you got" as his opponent calmly walks away.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2019, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Finesse Team? ]

True. We have insecure fans for some reason.

Jul 21, 2019, 9:27 PM

POTD-POTD-Post Of The Day, or for the Summer as a matter of fact!!!

Smash-mouth teams are your best indicator of who plays the most physical... and the one stat that measures smash-mouth football the best is sack rates! That should not be debatable, but since that does not favor the SEC talk, they will debate it! Here are your numbers:

Sacks allowed per attempt:
Clemson 3.27, rated number 8 in the list
Alabama 3.74, #13
Coots 4.68, #23
Notre Dame 5.43, #41
Georgia 5.71, #43
Interesting to note: NC ST was #3, UNC #4, Missouri #7, no other teams form the two conferences in top 25.

Sacks From defense per game:
Clemson 3.6, #1
Alabama 3.1, #9
Notre Dame 2.6, #32
Georgia 1.8, #84
Coots 1.75, #95
9 ACC teams were ranked better than Georgia, with Virginia and Duke #85 & 86 right behind them!

So, given that the sacks allowed and the sacks taken are two of the best indicators of smash-mouth (physical) football, I think we can put this argument to rest!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, you have to admit, it took a lot of finesse to

Jul 21, 2019, 9:37 PM

not score two more TD's on Bama.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic