Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you think KB could start in the NFL?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Do you think KB could start in the NFL?

Jul 20, 2018, 7:09 PM

Let’s shift the convo a bit, given who he came after and who is coming after him. In due time, could KB succeed in the NFL? Go beyond Clipboard Jesus, but have a quality presence at some point.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you think KB could start in the NFL?

Jul 20, 2018, 7:10 PM

At quarterback? No just doesn’t have that elite arm

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Someone here reminded me it was Shadell Bell

Jul 22, 2018, 6:53 PM

Who was running around doing mock interviews with the players before the NCG in Tampa. It was all in jest and was pretty funny... when he got to KB he said “ Kelly Bryant... rush for a thousand yards throw for zero!” KB laughed and shook his head.

Now we all know that wasn’t entirely true and KB has shown a lot of progress over his time in Clemson. He had some really good games throwing the ball last year but as a friend pointed out to me, we won’t win a NCG with him.

That may not be the case this year but it was last year. No matter who you want to blame... the Oline, KB or the coaches... we did not show up and the lack of the passing game was glaring. Personally, I didn’t see that coming.

What I don’t think people will admit here is that as a fan base we are torn when it comes to the QB situation. Does any real Clemson fan hope that KB falters? Are there no Clemson fans anxious to see what this freshman phenom QB we are blessed to have can do.

Lastly... (not that it is Germaine to this conversation, just an interesting tidbit) most would say Coach Brandon Streeter was a passing QB while at Clemson... but his first TD, in his first start because of an injured Nelon Green, against a tough Fl. State defense in 1997 was a 32 yard run.

No offense but KB will not be drafted to the NFL as a QB

Jul 20, 2018, 7:21 PM

if he is drafted at all. I like KB, but that is the nature of the business.

Time will tell.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Jul 20, 2018, 7:37 PM

Maybe at another position

Jul 20, 2018, 7:37 PM

Now? Absolutely not.

Later? Maybe. Depends on who develops him, and how patient they're willing to be. We've seen guys like Tyrod Taylor and even Alex Smith - who were primarily running QB's in college - develop into NFL QB's.

At the end of the day, the dude is a 6'4", an extremely good athlete, and does have the intangibles to go with the athleticism. He's definitely still making the transition from athlete to QB but given time I think he might could make the jump.

Good spot for him might actually be Houston. If I was Houston I might consider developing the kid with a late-round pick because a system you built for Deshaun definitely incorporates a lot of spread and hurry-up concepts and I do think it also could suit KB.

Just a thought.

Jul 20, 2018, 7:44 PM

Quozzel you are one of the best posters on this site so have a lot of respect for your knowledge as it seems you have played sports at a high level... but can’t agree here. KB hasn’t shown capacity to make college throws at any point of his time at Clemson and won’t his senior year. He’s athletic as heck and a phenomenal leader but NFL no chance. TLaw is a Deshaun type of talent and needs to play now, and KB has a package or 2 to help us win but don’t think he is an NFL QB.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:33 PM

He's done it intermittently. More often than not his mid-range passes and bombs were off-target but every so often he'd pull one and and flash the ability to complete those passes.

But let's consider where he came from - Wren. For one year. The prior three he was at Abbeville running a wing T.

The dude looked like a deer in the headlights as a true frosh at Clemson. He could motor, and that was it.

Sophomore year, he was about a 50%-55% thrower, some lame ducks, some good balls, some what-the-heck-was-that's and inexplicable decisions, but I was surprised how far he'd come. My first impressions of him - both in the Clemson Spring Game his true freshman year, and the Shrine Bowl before that - were not positive. But he showed enough I thought he might actually get there.

Junior year, he had Hunter Johnson all over him. Johnson had better arm skills, no doubt. But KB was better everywhere else - legitimately. Ran it better, understood the O better. I will agree with those who say he missed a lot of reads, double-clutched, hesitated, and was overly careful with the ball and tended to turn it over when he didn't, and he definitely showed his limitations against Alabama. But overall he had a pretty good year and showed a lot of stuff.

Senior year...the question is, can he take that next jump as a thrower? He hadn't in the Spring Game, but I can promise you that's all he's done the last 2-3 months and you'd best believe he heard the footsteps. Given how tough and competitive he is, and the huge jumps he's made every year...are we really 100% that some more stuff hasn't clicked with him?

Just for my part, I've always really liked what I've seen of KB's demeanor, work ethic, body language, and attitude. I know Trevor's a phenom and I won't argue he's the big-money fav in this race...but Bryant is still really talented himself, just rawer...I'm not really prepared to dismiss his chances out of hand, you know? Guys with the attitude and want-to can make big jumps, especially when pressed....

...though I will agree, it'd take a pretty big jump to keep Lawrence off him. The kid is a major talent. Maybe a mutant.

But that's why you actually line up and play, yeah?

I've never seen a QB 'learn' deep ball accuracy.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:45 PM

Also, how can you, in the same sentence, claim KB had a better grasp of the offense AND that he missed a lot of reads and was hesitant?

Still this is the best defense of KB starting that I've read...and you still admit that the Senior QB is both less talented and 'rawer' than the true freshman.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 7:36 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you think KB could start in the NFL? ]

I think your analysis is spot on, as usual, minus one caveat. I'd say Kelly has a tendency to take off when the pocket starts to collapse rather than stepping up into it. That's the one thing that makes me think the NFL won't take a chance on him at qb. I hope I'm wrong. I mean, I thought Boyd was going to make a practice squad at least so...

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you think KB could start in the NFL? ]

This is the best assessment I have seen of Kelly Bryant. I don’t buy into the idea that Kelly B “can’t” throw. I’ve seen him make difficult throws. I’ve seen him drop a few dimes. He was just inconsistent with his passing especially towards the end of the year. I don’t buy into the whole “If Johnson would’ve started we would have beat Bama and won another NC” argument either. Kelly Bryant was the best option we had last year although you could tell Johnson looks to have a higher ceiling. I also find it very shortsighted of folks to say that Kelly B is the worst starting QB we have had in the last ten years. That’s just nonsense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you think KB could start in the NFL? ]

Agree with everything about KB from a leadership and intangible standpoint. I also know his HS history.

I know I’m not at practice and I know the coach speak from both players and coaches but KB isn’t going to make a jump to NFL talent QB which I think is needed to win it all. I’m still hoping by game 3 they make the switch. KB deserves to start Furman, think he is a safe option for A&M, but after make the move. We won’t win it all with him and that is the goal this year.

Jul 20, 2018, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Do you think KB could start in the NFL? ]

Just my 2 cents, you gave yours....

Bryant is a straight line runner with more top end speed than quickness.
He doesn't posses alot of lateral movement, but seems to benefit on
instant running lands. He lacks the ability to make more than 2 check
reads on passing plays as well as getting positive runs from called
pass plays. He really seems to benefit from called runs for himself which
allows him to just get the ball and go. The talent on the team in general
allows him to get away with alot of things that would never work if he
he played for teams like NC State, Bos. college, etc...
He's a great athlete, but NFL caliber.....

Not hardly

thanks 4 reading.

He’s a senior...

Jul 20, 2018, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Do you think KB could start in the NFL? ]

How much is left to be developed?

I like him. His story is inspiring. I REALLY wanted him to grow into this offense. But He never beat out the career backup that was in front of him for two years... and he was ineffective in the biggest game of his life.

I hope we don’t have to lose a game before this exercise in hope is finished. The future is here!! We have the best QB IN THE NATION ON THE ROSTER. PLAY HIM!! WIN ANOTHER NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP THIS YEAR!!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He’s a senior...

Jul 22, 2018, 4:45 PM

What gets me, is all the ppl who say...
But Bryant won us 12 games last yr- Makes ya wonder what the
other 99 ppl on this team was doing- Ok, ok..I get he was the
QB, he's the leader. But with the talent we have on this team,
which is also influenced by the defense. I really do believe we
could have won the ACC last year with one of the walk-on QBs- or
at least come pretty dern close. So while I do believe Bryant
played fairly well last year, I don't buy for a moment he was the
reason we got to the play-offs, or the ACCCG. Nor do I believe the
coaching staff played the BEST QB last year. Which makes me abit
reserved this year about it.
What I do believe is that DABO is trying to walk a tight line with
this team by not having the team "quit" by making a quick turn to
playing Trevor Lawrence too soon......least I hope so. Plus, I suppose
it keeps the players honest.
Sure, this team can be good with Bryant......"OR"....GREAT with TL.

IMHO

do you think a TNETTER can evaluate college QBs?***

Jul 20, 2018, 7:40 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: do you think a TNETTER can evaluate college QBs?***

Jul 20, 2018, 8:17 PM

Yes and I value their opinion. There are several on here that are hs coaches. I think that qualifies as far as I’m concerned.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: do you think a TNETTER can evaluate college QBs?***

Jul 20, 2018, 10:20 PM

Then you’re a moron. Hs coaches lmao

Jul 20, 2018, 7:42 PM

Not as a QB...his best shot of getting significant playing time in the NFL would be as a WR

Jul 20, 2018, 8:17 PM

Not as a qb and likely not at any position. Just like there is no way he could switch positions at this point and start at Clemson. It’s too late for that.

I don’t think any amount of tutelage will make him an nfl qb. He has one of the weirdest wind up throwing motions I’ve ever seen. Next time you go to a game watch the qbs warm up. KB looks like it’s the first time he’s ever tried to throw a football compared to the more uniform approach our other qbs have

Jul 20, 2018, 9:16 PM

100% Correct-thought this was obvious & TS a Troll(jalen hurts in similar boat)

Jul 20, 2018, 8:23 PM

No chance. Simple does not have the arm. Probably won't get drafted, as a qb anyway.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POST & TS SHOULD BE REMOVED *

Jul 20, 2018, 9:07 PM

Jul 20, 2018, 9:11 PM

If he went on a weight gaining program, as a tight end.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:48 PM

No disrespect to KB2 but not as a QB. Being the great athlete he is, maybe at another position.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:48 PM

Of course. Kobe Bryant should have been a great TE.

Jul 20, 2018, 9:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2018, 10:16 PM

What the h ell does that have to do with college football

Not as he played last season.

Jul 21, 2018, 12:14 AM

He's easily fooled by a sophisticated and disciplined defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 8:19 AM

I remember seeing KB in the Shrine Bowl when he was still in HS and coming to CLEMSON. I was concerned watching him in that game and wondered if he would ever play QB in college. I still think HJ was the better QB, but KB won the job fair and square. I want to support KB at this position, but NO - I never see him making it as a QB in the NFL. Probably not even the CFL. Boyd had a better chance, and Tim Tebow definitely had a better chance. No comparison IMO.

But in all fairness, a QB can be great in college, and horrible for the NFL. The games are different and require different skills. KB cannot make the throws necessary for the next level.

That's just my opinion. But it has been consistent since he was in HS.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic