Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did the staff fall behind on 2019 recruiting??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Did the staff fall behind on 2019 recruiting??

Feb 22, 2018, 2:20 PM

I fully trust we'll have a good class in 2019, but I feel given the lack of commitments compared to other teams were are behind and we might actually not get a top 5 class, even with 25-28 we'll be able to take in.

We've always been ahead of the curve with recruiting in terms of getting to kids early (ie. Sammy Watkins), but I feel we're a bit behind for 2019.

I believe this for several reasons.

1) There have been a TON of offers thrown out the last 2 weeks, especially the last week. More so than what' I've seen in a long time in such a short period.

2) We have generally had a few more commitments from Sophs & Juniors by this time in previous years. Only 2 commitments is surprising. Maybe we have some silents though???

3) I think we had to close hard this season to pick up some critical needs with the early departure & transfers of a few players and time spent trying to get some last minute needs pulled time and resources away from 2019 efforts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No***

Feb 22, 2018, 2:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did the staff fall behind on 2019 recruiting??

Feb 22, 2018, 2:33 PM

No. You just fell behind in trusting the program, that's all

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You shouldn't assume so much

Feb 22, 2018, 2:38 PM

seriously.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You shouldn't assume so much

Feb 22, 2018, 7:33 PM

So what can you do to fix it?

Not trying to fix anything.

Feb 23, 2018, 2:41 AM

Not even sure anything is even wrong.

Just trying to have a conversation with others on the board to see if they believe similarly that we've seem to have gotten off to a slow start.

Feb 23, 2018, 4:43 AM [ in reply to You shouldn't assume so much ]

You’re entire post is based on assumptions. You have zero knowledge of the staffs recruiting efforts and are purely speculating.

Feb 23, 2018, 1:45 PM

isn't that the case for most people on this board?

Feb 22, 2018, 2:41 PM

You've gotta remember that signing day was only two weeks ago, not all rising high school seniors want to commit a year in advance, especially the highest rated ones.

We were extremely lucky to get DW4 and TL committed early, but that won't always happen.

I trust the coaching staff will bring in a very talented class, but there's about 10 months before early signing day and a lot of visits, camps, etc. to be had.

I fully believe we are going to explode with talent in this class, along with the quantity to match the quality.

Feb 22, 2018, 3:30 PM

iMHO, this cycle will more difficult than recent years. And the simple explanation is more competition. Take Florida and Tennessee, in spite of their relevancy, both will benefit from the “new staff/new shine” bump. UGA seemingly overnight has turned into a juggernaut on the trail and on the field.(Though I expect some dropoff here, perception is reality. Another successful season and they easily cement themselves as our biggest nemesis and legitimate threat.) Now couple the past years success of SUC and NCST.(Yes, 9 win seasons constitute success at these schools and both were able to capitalize on some very decent 4 stars, unlike times past.) Long, short...more players right now in our footprint! Thank goodness, our staff seems to be the best at scouting and developing talent. Seems we routinely turn 3 stars into 5 stars. I will trust the process! Dabo and company will bring in Clemson gentleman, and the standard and expectations will not change.

Feb 22, 2018, 3:43 PM

If Smart don't win a NCG in the next couple of years, we will be able to go back in and rape Georgia again for their best talent!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 3:40 PM

they are being more selective this year, there was an article about this a few weeks ago.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 4:47 PM

We have been selective over the past few years. However; this is the first class with
20+ guaranteed available scholarships so early on. This has to take longer to sort through - when making sure everybody is a "Clemson fit".

The Sky is Falling in Mid-February?

Feb 22, 2018, 3:49 PM

Did The Troll see his shadow, and we'll have 6 more weeks of "hand-ringing"?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Why are you worrying about this?

Feb 22, 2018, 7:51 PM

It will be fine.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Why are you worrying about this?

Feb 22, 2018, 9:42 PM

As Greyhound Bus lines use to say, It's such a comfort to take the bus....and leave the driving to us. Dabo is driving the bus, so, at the next stop if you ain't happy you can change buses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2018, 11:58 PM

Uh, no

Feb 23, 2018, 2:23 AM

I’ve also thought about this the past several days. But after checking the 2019 rankings I’m relieved. Alabama is sitting there with only 4 commits at the moment. Several others only have 2 or 3 guys committed as well. Coach Swinney knows the importance of this class. We will be right back in the mix of things come June/July. Also hearing Ladson could be a silent commit as well.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, of course.

Feb 23, 2018, 5:30 AM

Haven’t you heard Dabo lately saying the worst is yet to come?

Bunch of slackers over there.

Re: Yes, of course.

Feb 23, 2018, 6:27 AM

Have they seen our slide ?

DB23

Feb 23, 2018, 6:25 AM

Oh no , we're gonna suck again ?

What I have figured out about recruiting under CDS is this ... just when you thought you'd seen his best , he 1-ups himself .

I have no doubt our class for the 2019 cycle will be top 10 just based on the numbers ...and could well be top 5 just based on ...well , CDS .

DB23

Feb 23, 2018, 12:17 PM

I believe there are some new rules for Freshmen and sophomores. Coaches cannot call recruits or return calls from recruits but can accept calls. Not sure when they took effect but seems to limit early contact to face to face unofficial visits and camps until July before Jr year.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's interesting. Wasn't aware of that.

Feb 23, 2018, 1:46 PM

and much more the kind of info I was hoping to hear.

No, there's a variety of reasons the process will be slow...

Feb 24, 2018, 11:40 AM

this season. We don't yet know how many of our Jrs will declare. While that is typical every year it is complicated by the numbers we will be taking. The number of recruits this cycle increased with also slows the process of culling the bad apples and make it a huge challenge. Our coaching staff doesn't like pulling offers so they don't pass out offers like peanuts as do other schools.

Dabo reserves the right to refuse the acceptance of an offer until he's sure. We know he advises a recruit to be circumspect before committing to Clemson and he likewise is very selective.

If this were a matter of nothing more than picking out talent on paper as do most programs we'd be much further along. Imo, things are going well and our concerns about recruiting are unfounded because we tend to rely on recruiting rankings more than our process and success which isn't proven until we field our team each year.

TL;DR: Stop being a creampuff

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic