Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Briefing on Admissions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Clemson Briefing on Admissions

Feb 13, 2018, 11:17 PM

https://www.clemson.edu/admissions/undergraduate/documents/breakfast-presentation.pdf

Some good info.

Out of state SAT and ACT same or slightly better than in-state. GPA for out of state slightly lower - but since SAT and ACT about the same that seems to say there is a lot of grade inflation in SC high schools.

List of highest source SC high schools is very interesting!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Briefing on Admissions

Feb 13, 2018, 11:24 PM

Only 58.6% of enrollees are in state. 63% of accepted were in state. These numbers are lower than what has been touted today

What am I missing? The numbers in the applied and accepted

Feb 13, 2018, 11:44 PM

bars do not add up to the total at the bottom. The enrolled bar adds up.

Applied 15,699 (in-state) + 6,697 (out-of-state) = 22,396 (not 26,244)

Accepted 7,864 (in-state) + 3,619 (out-of-state) = 11,483 (not 12,381)

Enrolled 2,140 (in-state) + 1,510 (out-of-state) = 3,650 (that checks out)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are out of country applicants included in the total?

Feb 13, 2018, 11:49 PM

and not considered out of state, maybe?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are out of country applicants included in the total?

Feb 13, 2018, 11:52 PM

I thought of that but then that would imply no enrolled students were from out of the country, which seems highly unlikely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2018, 6:36 AM

Yes interesting to see the high schools listed. Lots from town of Fort Mill (Fort Mill and Nation ford).

Also interesting that no Lexington schools on the list.

Wanda is a massive school. Will it ever be split?

Feb 14, 2018, 7:03 AM

Fort Mill and Nation Ford are two of the best high schools in the state. Both are very competitive...know of a junior there with 1300+ on SAT after first try and 4.5 GPA...doesn't even sniff the top 20%....and worried they won't get into Clemson because it has gotten so competitive. Those numbers blow away anything I brought to the admissions table back in the late 80's.

And keep very much in mind

Feb 14, 2018, 8:11 AM

that Ft. Mill is actually a bedroom community of Charlotte. I married a girl from Ft Mill in 1975, slightly different town back then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: And keep very much in mind

Feb 14, 2018, 8:42 AM

It very much is a BR community for Charlotte as you say. I grew up here and was lucky enough to be able to move back 20 years ago. It is definitely much more affluent than when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's and being close to Charlotte has certainly helped (and hurt).

Not sure if it is any longer, but back in the day, teacher salaries were supplemented by Springs Industries to help attract the best teachers to the area...a strategy that has helped those growing up in this area significantly...but also made Ft. Mill attractive to many moving to the Charlotte Area for work. When I was in HS in the 80's it seemed unusual for a teacher to have less than a master's (or at least working towards)...and I had several HS teachers with doctorates...which I would think would be unusual for a small SC town at that time.

I miss the old small town that I once knew, but can't deny the advantage growing up here has given my own children...and was the primary reason we moved back.

keep in mind the SAT was re-centered in 1995, you can

Feb 14, 2018, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Briefing on Admissions ]

add probably between 100-160 points to your SAT score if you are trying to compare. Also the GPA calc has changed; most schools didn't use above 4.0 back then and now its pretty much state-wide that you can get significant bumps for College Prep, Honors and AP classes.

Not saying you still wouldn't have gotten in, just saying don't sell yourself short. This doesn't take into account the bump kids get from the practice test/classes readily available now that didn't exist back then.

Re: keep in mind the SAT was re-centered in 1995, you can

Feb 14, 2018, 12:14 PM

They also made a significant change to the verbal section last year that raised scores.

Re: keep in mind the SAT was re-centered in 1995, you can

Feb 14, 2018, 12:15 PM

So add another 50 to the 100-160 previously mentioned to add.

I think they are trying to build a new HS in MT P right now

Feb 14, 2018, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson Briefing on Admissions ]

Wando is both huge and a good school (at least comparatively), so it's not surprising that it would produce a lot of kids with resumes worthy of Clemson.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic