Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
At what point do we make a coaching change at OL?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

At what point do we make a coaching change at OL?

Sep 17, 2018, 9:39 PM

After the season or after NSD assuming Caldwell isn't able to grad a big name or two?

And no, I'm not just asking bc of the lack of talent coming in, OL is an obvious weak point and looks to be a big issue going forward that could be the difference between a Championship or missing the CFP altogether in the coming years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not now. The future looks good there.***

Sep 17, 2018, 9:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At what point do we make a coaching change at OL?

Sep 17, 2018, 9:45 PM

Everybody close to the game knows Robbie Caldwell can seriously coach him some OL.

The real question is: does he still have the drive to go forth and recruit?

If he does, we'd be fools to unload him. If he doesn't...well, college FB - especially college FB recruiting - is utterly unforgiving. Those in cruise-control can go from the top of the game to the cellar in one mighty big hurry - for a couple of examples, look no further than Spurrier at South Carolina - he and his staff just mailed it in as far as recruiting went the last 2-3 seasons, and they still aren't back from it - or Jimbo Fisher his last couple years at FSU.

I think it ultimately comes down to what Robbie Caldwell himself decides he wants to do.

Sep 17, 2018, 9:46 PM

Coach Caldwell may chose to retire and I for one would be pleased to see Dabo hire a solid teacher and better recruiter. If we are not careful the lack of really good depth could indeed hurt us if injuries occurred now or in the future.

Go Tigers ??!!

Sep 17, 2018, 9:49 PM

we make a change when Dabo feels like we need to... not when "fans" think we should.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2018, 9:49 PM

Or maybe it is the fact that Dabo is playing a lot of lineman to get them experience. The better the opponent the less guys you will see going in there . Did you miss the memo about Dabo saying he was gonna play a lot of guys

He does a great job. 90% of teams struggle at O line now

Sep 17, 2018, 9:53 PM

for several reasons. Oline in highschool game is not preparing guys for college. Oline is single hardest position to recruit accurately. We had a few years of unfortunate injuries and misses in recruiting. The last two years have given me hope things are turning positive. Now would be the worst time to change oline coaches. Look at FSU even with Jimbo. Oline is a struggle for most teams

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU's OLine Coach is about to be available.***

Sep 17, 2018, 10:10 PM

Fran-Swah would probably pay his first year's salary......***

Sep 17, 2018, 10:28 PM

Sep 17, 2018, 10:24 PM

When coach Caldwell decides he wants to retire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully soon

Sep 17, 2018, 10:33 PM

Caldwells olines at Clemson have never impressed me.

Re: Hopefully soon

Sep 18, 2018, 6:42 AM

Sadly I agree... not sure how much Pittman makes at Georgia but I say we double it and offer him the job at Clemson.

Sep 17, 2018, 10:38 PM

Probably when we replace Batson.

Sep 17, 2018, 11:42 PM

probably about three or four years, or whenever coach Caldwell feels he is ready to retire...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2018, 6:23 AM

I've always heard Caldwell is our best recruiter.

That is patently false***

Sep 18, 2018, 6:55 AM

Have you met Mr Jackson Carman? Only a five star

Sep 18, 2018, 6:35 AM

we brought in last season ! We aren't perfect there but we are still growing. Like Dabo said "The best is yet to come!" Dabo has great reasons for keeping his coaching staff in tact. Is third in the country no longer enough? There are probably 125 or more Div 1 schools who would love to be where we are right now. I would hate to work for you if you're that demanding.
We have an excellent program and team! Enjoy it!

Sep 18, 2018, 6:39 AM

Just an FYI. If Caldwell retires Thomas Austin is next in line. Obviously played for Clemson in the early 2000’s but is supposedly an up and comer in the coaching ranks. Already on staff as well

Sep 18, 2018, 8:00 AM

With the exception of a game here or there, the Oline during the Caldwell years have been under performing. On paper the Oline should finally be improving, however this year again the actual game results have been disappointing. Those are the generally accepted opinion of the fan base. I have no idea if a new coach is part of the solution. Probably it’s a combination of things so not a simple issue.

What is also clear is that only a few programs have elite level Olines. Unfortunately these are the teams we will see in the playoff. Last year we could not advance to the final game in large part because of our Oline. Will this be the same story this season?

Sep 18, 2018, 8:05 AM

GOSH FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CANT FIGURE OUT HOW WE HAVE GONE 56-6 THE LAST 4 PLUS YEARS WITH THAT AWFUL OLINE. DO YOU PEOPLE EVER EVEN BOTHER TO THINK JUST A LITTLE BIT BEFORE YOU TYPE.

Sep 18, 2018, 7:52 AM

Robbie Caldwell isn't the problem, Clemson as a program has never produce great o linemen. This is one of the reason why we have a hard time recruiting them. Also negative recruiting from rivals schools who have had success putting o linemen in the league.

Sep 18, 2018, 10:17 AM

For those who say Clemson has never produced great OL players I would suggest you do some research. I would point to the Ford years especially. While Coach Caldwell has done an excellent job of cross training his lines, his overall success is good, but not great. It is exceedingly hard to pinpoint and then develop outstanding OL groups. Caldwell is 64 years old and I suspect will be considering retirement within the next few years. Recruiting is a challenge no mater your circumstance and Caldwell will reach his own conclusions unless Dabo decides to make a change. Thomas Austin would indeed be a prime candidate to take over, but Dabo understands the strength of having a close well working staff so he and Caldwell will likely discuss matters at the close of each campaign.

Go Tigers!

go is we? dabo has not asked me about oline

Sep 18, 2018, 7:57 AM

coaching...has he asked you? if so, why are you asking tnet? nothing but coots on here feeding disinformation

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Sep 18, 2018, 8:19 AM

When you become the coach..

Go Tigers Bash da bees

Sep 18, 2018, 10:21 AM

You do know we play 10 to 11 OL a game right? The depth is there, what more can you ask for ?? How many sacks A&m had ?? 2

WE make a CHANGE????? Don’t stand by the phone!***

Sep 18, 2018, 10:31 AM

Sep 18, 2018, 10:53 AM

The amazing thing about Tigernet is that every day, despite unprecedented levels of success, some on our this board thinks there's a problem that needs to be solved with a firing or a backup.

Caldwell is one of the best OL coaches in the business. We're lucky to have him. We rushed for 300+ yards last week.

Caldwell doesn't just recruit lineman. No one on the staff focuses on a position group. They focus on a territory.

Jackson Carman says hi and Hyatt will be playing on Sundays.

WE don’t make changes in staff

Sep 18, 2018, 11:11 AM

Dabo does. Pointless to assume that he’s not monitoring staff and personnel of his team more closely than we do.

FSU is scary bad at OLine, UGA looks better than they used to. Those 2 are generating concerns for us.

The issue is with the number of our OL in the NFL. Chicken or egg issue there. I think rushing Etienne and Lyn-J more with TL throwing will do a lot to draw good recruits. Coach Caldwell is great in person, but I dont have any first hand comparisons to reference for other OLine coaches.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic