Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Am I the only one who’s lost all interest in college
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Am I the only one who’s lost all interest in college

Dec 9, 2018, 9:56 PM

Basketball? I use to be a huge fan and if I couldn’t go to the game in person I’d always watch on TV or listen, I haven’t watched or listened to a second of Tiger basketball this season. I use to suspect Duke, UNC, and other elite programs were buying players, but when the FBI removed all doubt and with the NCAA doing nothing I lost interest. I just can’t support a sport with a class system that allows some team to buy players with no consequences. I really wish Coaches like Brownell would publicly speak out against this system.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Am I the only one who’s lost all interest in college

Dec 9, 2018, 10:04 PM

I haven't lost interest, I just don't follow it until Conference play begins!

Dec 9, 2018, 10:17 PM

Even though you know Duke and UNC are buying players with no consequences and if we did it we’d get a 4 year probation?

Yes, even though.***

Dec 10, 2018, 11:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Nope.. I don't watch it anymore.

Dec 9, 2018, 10:08 PM

Got tired of the last two minutes taking 30 minutes to finish... All the fouls.... And silly last second wins that I felt more luck than skill. Let's face it... College football is the greatest sport on the planet to watch.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College football is the greatest sport on the planet to

Dec 10, 2018, 8:54 AM

watch...yet people want to change it. Expand the playoff to 8 teams and see what happens...the regular season will get cheapened. Teams with 2 and 3 losses will get in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I think it has turned into a ridiculously subjective, dumb

Dec 9, 2018, 10:10 PM

sport.

But I still follow us - I want to win a National Championship in it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: I think it has turned into a ridiculously subjective, dumb

Dec 9, 2018, 10:13 PM

How can we do that with the current system?

Clemson’s / Brownell’s current O and D “system” or the

Dec 9, 2018, 10:16 PM

“system” of one & done’s and the “brotherhood” and the bluebloods being given the benefit of all calls, etc. ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Clemson’s / Brownell’s current O and D “system” or the

Dec 9, 2018, 10:28 PM

The system that allows some schools to cheat without consequences.

Re: Clemson’s / Brownell’s current O and D “system” or the

Dec 9, 2018, 11:09 PM

No different than the CFP class system. Half the teams in FBS have zero chance of winning it all before the season starts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: chance to "win it all" in CFP

Dec 9, 2018, 11:57 PM

You're not cynical enough.

Before the CFP, maybe 12-15 teams had a chance to win it all. Play in a conference like the ACC with only 5-7 challenging games, face your toughest tests at home, get lucky once or twice, stay mostly injury-free, match up well with your CCG opponent and have 30 days to prepare for your bowl game. You too can win a natty.

That was then. The CFP is now. The new format of CFP only allows 7-8 teams each year to have a legitimate shot at winning a 3-game playoff, even if the first game is with an inferior foe. While Clemson was rolling a Pitt team that will probably finish 7-7, UGA was getting bounced out and tOSU was getting left out in favor of an unproven Notre Dame team. While possibly LSU, UCF and Mich could have been contenders, and at season start the media folks might have liked Wis and Wash, the season eliminated the less qualified, the CCGs some more, and the injury to Milton cost UCF any consideration at all.

So out of 130 FBS teams, i figure it comes down to 7-8 every year, with 2 or 3 teams moving into or out of that pool each year.

I think tOSU might drop out for a little while (maybe replaced by Mich, but we'll see), and Auburn might drop further out due to personnel losses. Same with OK. But neither Clemson nor Bama is going away in 2019.

No undefeated power 5 team has ever or will ever

Dec 10, 2018, 5:51 AM

get left out. That's 65 teams right there. 66 if you include ND. If you are not in a power 5 conference, you need to schedule some tough power 5 teams to make up for your weak schedule.

Re: No undefeated power 5 team has ever or will ever

Dec 10, 2018, 9:16 AM

Sure.

But listen to what you just said. "Undefeated"?

If your point is that "any power 5 team can be included", which is technically true, that's semantics. It will never happen. Even if Clemson were to drop to our Bowden-era levels, can you ever imagine BC, Wake, Duke, Va Tech, etc going undefeated? It will never happen!
Earning a 9-3, 10-2 regular season is the highest most teams can hope for. Talent and coaching levels are more evenly distributed than ever. No AD is content anymore to be totally uncompetitive in conference play. The relatively balanced distribution of abilities ensures that any school's 'spike' year will still leave them unable to smash their way to victories over 2 established powerhouse programs in the CFP.

That's what makes Baby Bentley's comments about 'we have everything we need to win a championship' so naive. In one sense, in true moral victory fashion, he is saying that USC can do whatever Clemson can (i guess they've given up on doing better than us). But he has no clue what Clemson did!

I don't want a separate powerhouse conference, because Clemson would be in a disadvantaged position as the school with the smallest enrollment. But college football will also die if December games become more and more meaningless to fans.

Sadly, we don't***

Dec 10, 2018, 1:48 AM [ in reply to Re: I think it has turned into a ridiculously subjective, dumb ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you aren't

Dec 9, 2018, 10:17 PM

I feel bad for Coach Brownell and his players but all the recent scandals and the Oneanddone system have turned me off from college basketball. ClemBert isn't wrong either in the statement that watching the last minute is torture. That's not basketball, it's just a loophole in the rules that's consistentantly exploited.

With the advent of 1 and done I am more of a college

Dec 9, 2018, 10:34 PM

Student than the top players at the top schools. It’s not college basketball anymore. If I’m going to watch pro basketball I’ll wait until the NBA playoffs start.

The numbers say definitely not.***

Dec 9, 2018, 10:56 PM

yep between that and the mockery at unCHEAT...Doesn't help

Dec 9, 2018, 11:08 PM

that the game itself at this level has devolved into dribbling for 20 seconds and taking bad 3

Nope. I’ve said it several times here.

Dec 9, 2018, 11:10 PM

Rampant corruption with no NCAA muscle or will to reign it in, the one-and-done making a complete mockery of the student-athlete concept. These did me in. And of course I want Coach Brownell and the team to be successful, but even he has done the transfer route so often that it feels (this is just to me, as a now-casual observer) like mercenaries just wearing your uniform for a paycheck.

Like I said, I want the best for the Clemson program, but it’s the same way I want the best for the women’s soccer program. TigerNet will let me know if there’s any big news, but otherwise I’m good. And man, I used to love watching Clemson play. Never missed a conference game.

I fear that football will go the same way. There’ll be immediate-play transfers (free agency), paying players, corruption. More and more players will sit out their bowl games...then players will start leaving the team once they know they can’t make the playoffs. Coaches will start making eight figures. The whole thing will just become unwatchable. But for now, we have an amazing, must-watch program. People like Dabo, BV, Wilkins, Renfrow, ETN...just special. But the rest of the sport will probably become a complete waste of time.

null

There's a lot wrong wilth basketball these days, and if it

Dec 10, 2018, 12:01 AM

weren't for Clemson, I probably wouldn't follow it at any level. That's sad, because I was once an avid fan of both college and NBA. The game today is barely recognizable from the one I one I once knew and loved, and I miss it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I've always followed Clemson; however, ordinarily

Dec 10, 2018, 4:39 AM

I wouldn't give you five cents to watch a team of Statues of Liberty playing most other teams.

That's because I despise the three-point shot and the one-and-done concept even more. Play in the ACC is usually dominated by UNC and Duke, both of whom, if they had their way, would make basketball the primary sport while relegating football into oblivion.

It’s still football season

Dec 10, 2018, 6:26 AM

Basketball season starts in mid-January

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as for me

Dec 10, 2018, 7:16 AM

I love college basketball and always have. I watch every second of Tiger basketball and I am sorry that I live so far away that attending the games are not an option. I think lowly of the students who are in a position to help the team by attending games and fail to do so. The game does need to be cleaned up but as long as the Tigers play by the rules I’ll support them 110%. I get great enjoyment when we beat those teams who do bend the rules! And we do beat those teams every year. Go Tigers

Dec 10, 2018, 7:58 AM

One and done players ruined it for me, I usually don't watch until tournament time.

I felt sorry for Brownell but then he praised

Dec 10, 2018, 8:22 AM

the current one and done system and said college basketball today isn't near as bad as the media makes it seem on the ACC coaches show in the preseason on ESPN. I stopped feeling bad for him at that point. Last year was a great indication of what we could be in college basketball but Devoe's final season and a couple of key recruits choosing other schools at the very last second- wonder how that happened? Leaves the realization this sport is broken beyond repair.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 8:53 AM

I can't remember the last time I watched a BBall game, NBA or college, as they are not worth my time. It has been several years. I think I tried to watch one of CLEMSON's games last year or the year before, but have not even considered doing so this year. I don't even know a single player on the team, and don't care to know them. The only reason I know the coach's name is because he has been here for years (I guess he's still here - don't care).

I have lost interest as well. Used to be a big fan. I am

Dec 10, 2018, 9:01 AM

not really sure of the reason. Guys not staying 4 years, larger conferences, not playing all teams in conf twice, not sure what it is. Also used to be better when ACC just played on Saturday and Wednesday, and the ACC tourney finished on Sunday.

I watch as many Clemson games as I can, but beyond that...

Dec 10, 2018, 9:12 AM

I don’t follow it like I used to, aside from opportunities to pull for anyone who plays Duke or UNC.
I like our team, but the transfer thing is not my favorite way to build a program...especially the guys who just come for one year. I enjoy watching the progress of a player like Trapp, who will be here for 4 years.
The expansion of the ACC, while making the conference even more difficult in hoops, also makes it where you just play teams once. I’m convinced that dumb streak in chapel hill would have ended a long time ago if we still got a shot at it every year.

Dec 10, 2018, 10:38 AM

Well, we now know all top ranked college games are really "Nike U" vs "Adidas U" vs "Big Job for Mama U" vs "Clean U." It's really hard for "Clean U" to compete. Consequently, I have no interest in watching. Also, listening to #### Vitale hurts my ears. And the blather from game analysts from Duke and UNC is over the top knowing that they all participated in the shoe scams. I'm thankful for the CFPs.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 10:44 AM

And don't get me started on the blatant uncalled fouling, the "Euro step" which is walking, or the palming/carrying the ball " all of which refs ignore today. And while I'm at it, "get off my lawn."??

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell has his hands full right now *

Dec 10, 2018, 11:30 AM

Nm

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic