Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
None of us were around in 1861, but some seem to think
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 420

None of us were around in 1861, but some seem to think

Jul 11, 2015, 9:29 AM

they've got their arms wrapped around the whole thing. There are some interesting facts that do put some of those things we "know" in a different light. For some of us, at least.

“It means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy. That our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by all of the influences of History and Education to regard our gallant debt as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.” - General Patrick Cleburne's comments about what would prevail if the South lost.

General Ulysses S. Grant owned slaves.

“No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give Congress the power to abolish or interfere within any state with the domestic institutions thereof, including that a person’s held to labor or service by laws of said State.” - the 13th Amendment, as proposed by Abraham Lincoln in March of 1861.

Tariffs on Southern exports were 40%.

The South had 29% of the people, but paid 70% of federal taxes.

“The War is waged by the government of the United States not in the spirit of conquest or subjugation, nor for the purpose of overthrowing or interfering with the rights or institutions of the states, but to defend and protect the Union.” - as written in the U.S Congressional Record.

“Do the people of the South really entertain fears that a Republican administration would directly, or indirectly, interfere with their slaves, or with them, about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy, that there is no cause for such fears. The South would be in no more danger in this respect than it was in the days of Washington.” - Abraham Lincoln

“I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so and I have no inclination to do so.” - Abraham Lincoln

On August 14, 1862, Abraham Lincoln invited a group of black people to the White House. In his address to them, he told them of his plans to colonize them all back to Africa. Listen to what he told these folks: “Why should the people of your race be colonized and where? Why should they leave this country? This is, perhaps, the first question for proper consideration. You and we are different races. We have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other two races. Whether it is right or wrong I need not discuss; but this physical difference is a great disadvantage to us both, as I think. Your race suffers very greatly, many of them, by living among us, while ours suffers from your presence. In a word, we suffer on each side. If this is admitted, it affords a reason, at least, why we should be separated. You here are freemen, I suppose? Perhaps you have been long free, or all your lives. Your race is suffering, in my judgment, the greatest wrong inflicted on any people. But even when you cease to be slaves, you are yet far removed from being placed on an equality with the white race. The aspiration of men is to enjoy equality with the best when free, but on this broad continent not a single man of your race is made the equal of a single man of our race.”

“I am not, nor have ever been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races. I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of n.e.g.r.o.e.s, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on social or political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white.” - Abraham Lincoln

The first recorded slave owner in America was a black man.

In 1830, a fourth of the free N.e.g.r.o slave masters in South Carolina owned 10 or more slaves; eight owning 30 or more.

The war fought from 1861 to 1865 was not a “civil war.” Civil war suggests two sides fighting for control of the same capital and country. The South didn’t want to take over Washington, D.C., no more than their forebears wanted to take over London. They wanted to separate from Washington, D.C., just as America’s Founding Fathers wanted to separate from Great Britain. The proper names for that war are either, “The War Between the States” or, “The War of Southern Independence,” or, more fittingly, “The War of Northern Aggression.”

Less than 5% of Southern whites owned slaves, so why would the other 95% of the people go to war?

After a battle, a wounded Confederate soldier lay propped against a tree. A Union soldier walked up to him and asked, "Why do you keep fighting, Reb?" The reply was, "Because you are here."

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think northerners led by ole Honest Abe were some of the...

Jul 11, 2015, 10:58 AM

most noble humans that ever lived to be willing to sacrifice all that tax money to set the black man free.

I don't believe a word of the history books that actually try to pretend that Lincoln's threat to free slaves before the war included only southern slaves. That has to be a made up and not real history.

Honestly, the north cared nothing for the blacks and neither did the south. The north over taxed the south and the south responded the same was The Colonies responded when The British Empire over taxed us.

Had the rest of the country been so noble why didn't they acknowledge equal rights for blacks at the time? They completely controlled every square inch of America at that time. No, it's a fool who maintains that anybody fought for the freedom of the blacks. They were considered subhuman at the time and had northern economy been based on slavery they would have fought for their economy too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: None of us were around in 1861, but some seem to think

Jul 11, 2015, 1:29 PM

Ole Abe was just like all politicians....a liar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or just changed his mind.***

Jul 12, 2015, 2:16 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF he's a politician does it really matter?***

Jul 12, 2015, 8:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure it matters.***

Jul 13, 2015, 6:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same reason 99% of the Pubs today

Jul 11, 2015, 4:20 PM

Keep voting for people that enrich the 1% that control everything

Re: Same reason 99% of the Pubs today

Jul 11, 2015, 4:38 PM

Sounds exactly like who 99% of dems keep voting for

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2015, 4:24 PM

No, but many millions of today's people were around in 1962.

That eclipses any sort of "heritage not hate" drivel anyone can spew.

zettner was. ********

Jul 11, 2015, 4:27 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2015, 7:44 PM

The term "civil war" implies nothing except citizens from the same country fighting each other. The terms you listed are the loaded ones, especially "War of Northern Aggression."

That is the most accurate term. All the South wanted to do

Jul 12, 2015, 11:51 AM

was to extricate itself from the union, which was a political decision, not a military one. Several northern states wanted to do the same. The South did not invade the North, they wanted nothing to do with the North. In contrast, the North invaded the South, which was a military decision. The South defended itself from Northern aggression.

The real question, which historical revisionists fail to address is: in 1861, did a state have the right to secede from the union.

Re: That is the most accurate term. All the South wanted to do

Jul 12, 2015, 12:03 PM

And you don't feel like any of this is beside the point in a discussion revolving mainly around black equality? Since that's the opposite of what Southerners were touting in looking to secede?

Summa cum laude. Magna cum laude. The radio’s too loudy.

A discussion in 1861?***

Jul 12, 2015, 5:41 PM

Re: That is the most accurate term. All the South wanted to do

Jul 12, 2015, 6:51 PM [ in reply to That is the most accurate term. All the South wanted to do ]

The north invaded in order to retain the Union. Lincoln viewed it as an illegal rebellion, and as the President it was his job to see that the country remained united. Say what you want to about his motives, but the South rebelling was the cause of the war. The South rebelled because they wanted to keep the institution of slavery, plain and simple.

It's a good thing for all of us that the South lost. Unfortunately, there are too many people who still can't get over that fact.

Tha brings up the real question: In 1861, did a state have

Jul 14, 2015, 8:42 AM

the right to secede from the union?

Why or why not?

Jul 12, 2015, 1:15 PM

aaaaand the butthurt continues.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 420