Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
America, 2019. Seek and Destroy.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

America, 2019. Seek and Destroy.

Jan 22, 2019, 9:41 AM

As predicted, a certain subset of the media and population weren't happy about Saint Indian-Drummer-Marine's story not checking out under scrutiny, and decided to double down.

Now we have stories, albeit on the fringe, coming out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6616793/Kentucky-Catholic-high-school-Lincoln-Memorial-clash-allowed-blackface-pep-rallies.html

This is pretty sick, IMHO, the way this story is positioned. These games were apparently a "blackout" type event, and a few of the kids painted their entire upper bodies black. Probably iffy, but not some Amos and Andy type minstrel crap.....they are also wearing all black, spray painted their hair, and the kids I can see have sinister-looking smiles like the Joker painted on their face too. This is clearly a school-spirit type effort. This happened in 2015, and apparently there were zero complaints from the opposing school, athletic director, etc---they got it.

Then, to really attempt to stick the knife in, they show a pic of a black opposing player inbounding the ball and getting heckled with the caption, "At another event in 2015, more students wore blackface and jeered as an African American player from the school's opponent stood in front of them". Jesus H. Cristo.....have they never been to a basketball game? Every opposing player that gets near the sideline gets heckled. Go ahead and shut down Duke....Cameron is full of African American harassing racists.

The purpose of the media is quickly changing, and I'm afraid it's taking a really sinister turn, when smearing well-meaning high school kids becomes an acceptable means to an end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dunno.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:41 AM

This is a little iffier than you think.

Maybe it's innocent. But it's questionable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

definitely questionable, i've also read an attempt at

Jan 22, 2019, 10:55 AM

this marvel character, Venom

*I'm not making a claim that it is or isn't just another theory i have read along the lines of the joker resemblance

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks a lot more like that to me than

Jan 22, 2019, 10:57 AM

19B's characters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see at least 4 black students in the crowd, participating***

Jan 22, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Dunno. ]

Lol.***

Jan 22, 2019, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Dunno. ]

null

Genuine question here...

Jan 22, 2019, 10:50 AM

Not intended as an attack or accusation?

Why did you click on this story, and then post it here?

Hi, welcome to the P&R board.

Jan 22, 2019, 10:58 AM

In this place we discuss, debate, agree, argue, and often insult each other over the issues of the day.

Welcome!

OK, again it wasn't meant as a criticism...

Jan 22, 2019, 10:58 AM

I genuinely would like to know what factored into your decision to click on it, and post it here. It's interesting to me.

Now I'm interested.....

Jan 22, 2019, 11:02 AM

is your presumption that if I hadn't read it, and hadn't posted commentary on it, it never would have popped up on here? Sort of a if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around does it make a sound type position?

It's a nice theory, but I'd say it's unlikely wishful thinking at best. It's already out there, I'd rather go ahead and discuss it.

No, I don't think that.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:04 AM

I'm just trying to get inside your head, and into the head of others who would click on it. What drives this?

I'm sure the simple answer is "because I was interested in it". If you are willing and able, I'd like you to be a little more specific...like what about it is interesting to you.

If you don't want to answer, that's OK.

It's nothing Freudian or special or fascinating......

Jan 22, 2019, 11:09 AM

my son is a high schooler.....at a private Catholic school......who's recently been to DC......who could have just as easily been caught up in something like this.

I generally ignore most mass media, reading the WSJ and the NYT over breakfast for my morning info session. This popped up on flipboard yesterday though as I was reading for entertainment. The ever-increasing use of character assassination as an acceptable activism tactic has been bothering me for some time----it's a bad look for us as human beings---and so I clicked on it to see what they're trying to do to these kids now.

Fast forward 12 hours, here we are.

Terrific and informative answer, thanks.***

Jan 22, 2019, 11:12 AM

"Could it happen to me..."

Jan 22, 2019, 11:14 AM

That line of thinking has never even occurred to me as a reason people are interested in news stories. I know y'all think I'm really weird, but I feel like I learned something really important in this thread, just by asking the question.

That's certainly part of it, but it's a weird new era.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:23 AM

For quite some time the news has been transitioning from "just the facts" to slanted, biased (left or right) pieces of titillation and entertainment dressed up as news. It is what it is, and I've learned to adapt.

What's new-er though is the average Joe's entire existence becoming an acceptable casualty, facts be dammmed, if it furthers a certain narrative.

Careers, marriages, friendships, all things that are disregarded and often ruined in situations like this. I don't know what kind of student this is, but there are certain admissions officers at certain universities that will now reject this kid because he was painted in this light. I'm sure he has some major trust issues with the world at large. He's gotten death threats. His family has probably incurred financial and emotional costs. It's flat-out evil.

As far as I know, the kid didn't record the video

Jan 22, 2019, 11:27 AM

or direct someone to record the video. So what we have here is a kid who never set out to be famous for any reason, and never really did anything to make himself famous, who is almost instantly famous in a negative way. That is pretty scary.

Regular people can become famous instantly today, through social media. And that is often a good thing. I don't suppose we spend enough time thinking about the negative side of that coin.

I can't recall if you're a parent now or not (sorry), but

Jan 22, 2019, 11:29 AM

if you don't spend much time thinking that way, you will.

It's now a mandatory part of life's lessons for kids. Eat your vegetables, Say your prayers, Birds and Bees, don't drive drunk, don't let anyone take a pic of you nude or doing anything illegal, and don't post anything to social media you wouldn't want your grandmother to read.

Not yet...

Jan 22, 2019, 11:34 AM

But I would totally agree with that kind of instruction. I always say "never post anything on the internet that you wouldn't want the entire world to see, because they just might."

I often think about how I would handle social media as a parent. I know posting pictures all the time of the kids is an accepted practice that most people love, but I wonder if we're making them self-absorbed from the start by doing that. And that's not even considering the fact that most parents are in their phones all the time now, modeling that behavior for the kids.

I realize now that I committed a severe thread-jack to start all this, and I apologize. Now we have gone pretty far off course.

I don't mean to speak for Obed, but I imagine the first step

Jan 22, 2019, 11:08 AM [ in reply to OK, again it wasn't meant as a criticism... ]

was weighing risk vs reward. Was clicking on that link going to ruin his day? Endanger his children? Much thought was put into it. Once the determination was made that clicking the link was relatively safe, it was time to determine whether or not it was safe to read. Maybe he scanned the comments first? Maybe just read the headline? Whatever it was, he decided to continue on his quest to peruse this particular article. I imagine he even had a gut feeling that he knew where this article was going...In fact, I suspect what was written did not surprise him at all. No, he knew this was coming. He was ready.

This is where thinks get dicey....Does he post it to tigernet? After all, he did post a comment alluding to the fact he suspected this sort of reaction was imminent. And he was right. With this information, he could indeed become king of the P&R for the day....but again, at what cost? Fordprefect could offer up a rebuttal, tarnishing his shine. Maybe Catahola comes in accusing him of being a racist? These are tough waters to navigate, after all. But glory doesn't come without a cost, and after much deliberation, the decision is made.

The only thing he wasn't ready for is this bizarre exchange.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OMG

Jan 22, 2019, 11:10 AM

So good.

Sooooooooooooo good.

I chuckled.***

Jan 22, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to I don't mean to speak for Obed, but I imagine the first step ]

you've out-Lakebum1'd yourself, Lakebum1

Jan 22, 2019, 11:13 AM [ in reply to I don't mean to speak for Obed, but I imagine the first step ]

and Obed be lik

Re: I don't mean to speak for Obed, but I imagine the first step

Jan 22, 2019, 11:14 AM [ in reply to I don't mean to speak for Obed, but I imagine the first step ]

every single interaction with Prodigal is bizarre.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

American has jumped the shark.

Jan 22, 2019, 11:26 AM

Seems like most just want to be butthurt and hate others.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic