Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In which of the following 3 college sports...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

In which of the following 3 college sports...

Apr 1, 2019, 3:47 PM

do you think it is hardest to win a national championship:

Football
Basketball
Baseball

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bass fishing***

Apr 1, 2019, 4:08 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For us, basketball and baseball

Apr 1, 2019, 4:16 PM

With basketball, I think the trend of "one and done" makes it harder to coach and mold a team. I think one of the problems for Clemson this year was getting the team all on the same page with the one or two year shelf life for the transfers. IMO, the college game is not as good with all of this one and done stuff.

In regards to baseball, it seems that the better team doesn't always win, a lot of the time. All too often a good team can go into a hitting or pitching slump and not peak at the right time.

I think with March Madness, and the Regionals/Superregionals are harder to get through than the football four team playoffs

On the other hand for football, the pressure is really on all season because the margin of error is razor thin. You may or may not be able to lose one game all season, and pray that it is not at the end, as that could be the difference of being in or out of the playoff.

Bottom line to me is they are all hard to achieve for different reasons...

Foreverybody else, football

Apr 2, 2019, 10:24 PM

Because Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In which of the following 3 college sports...

Apr 1, 2019, 4:20 PM

Are you asking for a specific college or for all colleges collectively that participate in the 3 selected sports? I want to give an informed answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 4:23 PM

Any college.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 4:23 PM [ in reply to Re: In which of the following 3 college sports... ]

Any college.

Apr 1, 2019, 4:22 PM

for the Coots, or everyone else?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football or baseball.

Apr 1, 2019, 4:26 PM

I think these two are equally as difficult, for different reasons.

Football has the lowest margin for error in the regular season, so it’s much more difficult to get to the playoff.

Baseball has the most grueling post season format, and I believe the best team is standing at the end.

With basketball, you can be mediocre and make the tournament and then get a hot hand for 6 games...and boom.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 4:38 PM

Hardest to easiest'

Basketball

Baseball

Football

There are always several elite teams in each sport that tend to dominate. Basketball has more teams competing than either baseball or football. Notice my ranking from hardest to easiest shows an increasing number of players on the field or court during the game.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 1, 2019, 4:45 PM

Besides golf, it’s baseball. Think about how many trips Wilhelm had and even leggett when he lost to the coots. Think about the winningest coach mike martin at fla st... odds say he should have several.

Football and basketball you get to recruit and develop all your talent. The one and done is starting to prove not to work. In baseball, you can think you got a great recruiting class and then they go to the majors + you’re limited on scollys and have to give partials etc plus you have to compete against the endowment schools.

To me, it’s a no brainer. Baseball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here are the facts:

Apr 1, 2019, 4:54 PM

Last 20 years:

11 different schools have won in football
11 different schools have won in basketball
14 different schools have won in baseball

So, tie between football and basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here are the facts:

Apr 1, 2019, 5:37 PM

For discussion purposes, I will say that your answer embraces the assumption that nothing has changed in football and basketball formats over those years. Baseball has stayed somewhat constant except in the ACC tournament with the current crappy format.

Football is now a little more reliable with the four team playoff, than the way it used to be with just the bowl format and polls. Maybe Dabo and company have made things look easier than they were!

I still say the one and done stuff with basketball makes it harder to coach, and while the athletes are impressive, the quality of the game has gone down. Look at your brackets and compare to who is in the final four this year. Nobody saw this one coming...

Re: Here are the facts:

Apr 1, 2019, 6:18 PM

Josephg proved my point imo, 14 different teams won. One being coastal. Good luck coastal winning a b-ball madness or football or a team like ucf winning a football championship. Baseball harder because more teams can win it all. Depends on how you look at it.

You take the coastals, Long Beach etc out of the equation and your blue blood baseball teams would dominate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well couldn't you say it's therefore harder

Apr 2, 2019, 2:30 AM

For certain programs to win in basketball or football than baseball? Like you said how often is a program like Coastal, Fresno State, Pepperdine gonna win in basketball when they all have won one in baseball?

Not a legitimate way to compare. Basketball has 325 teams

Apr 2, 2019, 2:45 AM [ in reply to Here are the facts: ]

starting the season, with a chance to make the playoff, In football, only the 65 or so power five teams have a legitimate shot to make the playoff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football--one loss during the season can eliminate

Apr 1, 2019, 6:22 PM

any chances of a championship.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Baseball

Apr 1, 2019, 6:24 PM

I don't think we will ever get a shot at winning a Basketball title so that one is a non starter

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's elementary 1972 Tiger ... would have to be hardball***

Apr 1, 2019, 6:27 PM

And you know it don't come easy ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The one which has the fewest different champions.***

Apr 1, 2019, 6:29 PM

Without a doubt its

Apr 1, 2019, 6:37 PM

FOOTBALL

You have to get 22 offensive players and
22 defensive players and 22 special teams players
all on the same page. Plus the two deeps for each.

They must be ultra athletically talented, well coached,
and all on the same page

There are only 13 games and you must win at least 12
to get in the playoffs for a chance at the trophy

There are only 4 slots for the playoffs,
not 68 including play in games like basketball or
however many regionals there are for baseball

More physical game, more chance for losing a star player

Re: Without a doubt its

Apr 2, 2019, 12:02 AM

All the Clemson had to do in the regular season was beat a crappy Syracuse team to win the ACC. Everyone else in the ACC sucked this past year except Clemson

Then beat an overmatched and dreadful Notre Dame team

And then play one of the greatest games in history playing perfect football to beat Bama.

The other 10 1/2 games were jokes....except for A&M.

Basketball is easier to make but the one and done nature in basketball where even small schools can compete with giants makes it the most unpredictable and thus hardest.

yeah all Clemson had to do was build an elite program

Apr 2, 2019, 2:28 AM

Easy stuff

To your overly simplified points, TerrierFan...

Apr 2, 2019, 2:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Without a doubt its ]

1. Previous years have shown we can lose to one of those "weak" ACC teams, which could have eliminated us last year!

2. Notre Dame was far from "dreadful"! Surely you aren't that stupid!

3. Bama was supposedly the "greatest team of all time"! We were just better!

So..NO, it wasn't easy for us to win it...we had to have the best players and the best coaches!

And since you are a Terrier fan, which would have been harder for Wofford to do? Win it all in basketball, or just make the big boy playoff in football?

And a good helping of luck.***

Apr 2, 2019, 7:54 AM [ in reply to Without a doubt its ]

Apr 2, 2019, 7:58 AM

Baseball by far.

IF baseball were the most difficult to win, the coots would

Apr 2, 2019, 8:45 PM

not have two of them!!

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic