Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson names new men's tennis coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson names new men's tennis coach

Jun 7, 2019, 2:08 PM

Clemson names new men's tennis coach

CLEMSON, S.C. - Robbie Weiss has been named the Head Coach of the Men’s Tennis program, Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich announced on Friday. Weiss is the t Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to Tigertown Coach Weiss!!!

Jun 7, 2019, 2:23 PM

Ok T_I_P . . . How do you like this hire?!!!

Appears to be a good one from my vantage point. "Relentless Recruiter" will be the key!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Welcome to Tigertown Coach Weiss!!!

Jun 7, 2019, 2:36 PM

T_I_P ....return serve .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

T_I_P?

Jun 7, 2019, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Welcome to Tigertown Coach Weiss!!! ]

Awaiting the expert

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: TNET: Clemson names new men's tennis coach

Jun 7, 2019, 2:56 PM

Congratulations Coach Weiss! He looks to be a winner as a player and a coach.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 3:00 PM

Probably still in the offing , but I am curious what kind of bones a tennis coach at Clemson University could be looking at ?

DB23

Jun 7, 2019, 3:00 PM

I'm sure that if we did dig deeply enough we'd find that Monte Brownell took a pay cut to make this happen .

Message was hypothesized by: Tigerdug23®

DB23

Hmmm ok

Jun 7, 2019, 3:10 PM

He was the assistant at Alabama the last few years. Alabama did make the sweet 16 last year and has brought in some good overseas talent. If that's thanks to him then that's a good sign.

I think this is more of a wait and see hire. I'll look into it more soon. Off the cuff I don't love it and I don't hate it.

Well that was

Jun 7, 2019, 3:57 PM

underwhelming

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

yeah a bit on the underwhelming side indeed***

Jun 7, 2019, 4:19 PM

Re: Well that was

Jun 7, 2019, 4:22 PM [ in reply to Well that was ]

Yeah , that was over the line . We wanted more topspin , #amirite?

DB23

Overseas recruiting is lazy. Kriese fell in love with it

Jun 7, 2019, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Hmmm ok ]

in the 90's and it almost never paid off, and we've never gotten off that track.

Look at Ohio State, UGA, Florida, UVA.......tennis powerhouses that primarily recruit strong US juniors and fill needs (usually 2-3 slots) with International players.

Look at Clemson's most recent tennis roster....International players outnumber US players.

Going out and filling a roster up with foreign talent and making virtually no inroads with top USTA juniors is the equivalent of fielding a football team full of JUCO players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Incorrect across the board

Jun 7, 2019, 5:34 PM

International players still have to be developed just like American players do.

Infact sometimes more so thanks to surface change and big lifestyle change that they have to deal with. It's a common misconception that international recruiting is "lazy". There are several examples of big name international players who do not do as well in the college game. Some schools are very successful recruiting primarily internationally and some aren't, it's not as if getting internationals is an automatic.

And some programs limit themselves to Americans primarily and kinda hold themselves back.

Kriese is very anti-internationals in college tennis (but yes he was hypocritical on this as he did bring in international players himself). Blaming the decline of the Clemson program on international is misguided considering the last time we had good teams we were led by two brothers from Germany (the Madens) one of which is now nearing the top 100 in the ATP.

Very few programs have the luxury of picking off of the elite American tree and yet many of them recruit internationally as well when need be.

Tennis is a more international sport now than in the 80s. Just look at the pro ranking differences from the 80s to now.

Texas and Wake Forest have won the last two national titles with almost all international rosters.

You said I'm incorrect, and then you completely laid

Jun 7, 2019, 5:44 PM

out why International players aren't the answer.

Either way, I think it'll be a moot point. Most International players are just looking to get a free ride to Futures tourneys, and with the new transition tour rules it's going to make college even less attractive for them. We're going to have to seek out US players whether we like it or not. Despite Kriese's strong ties to the USTA, it was pitiful how few top players even sniffed Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They can be the answer

Jun 7, 2019, 10:15 PM

Because Clemson didn't have success with international players recently doesnt mean we cant find ones that do bring us success. For instance Mississippi State uses an entirely international roster as is always top 15 in recent years.

I heard they are changing the new ITF system back to the original by the end of summer because so many players ranked in the hundreds were complaining about how awful it was.

What Clemson really needs is a solid pipeline of recruiting talent that we can tap into, from wherever that may be. Get the Clemson tennis footprint to be relevant again and somewhere where players want to go to improve their game.

Jun 7, 2019, 3:55 PM

I hope he has a pipeline to the top foreign tennis players. If not, we will continue to suck.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama has had players from

Jun 7, 2019, 4:19 PM

Finland, Egypt, France, China and Mexico in recent years. But again I don't know if that was the work of Weiss or the Alabama head coach.

Nope, nope, nope.***

Jun 7, 2019, 5:25 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson names new men's tennis coach ]

Sounds like a great hire!!! Which 4 #1 players did he beat?***

Jun 7, 2019, 4:44 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He beat Becker, Lendl, Edgerg, Mayotte

Jun 7, 2019, 4:48 PM

Impressive!!!

I guess those are the 4 players who were #1 at one time or another.
WOW!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2019, 4:57 PM

Here's my contribution. My oldest brother played junior tennis at the same time as Weiss. These are his comments:

"Interesting hire. Not a name I would have expected for a head job right now. I thought he was out of tennis and doing other stuff in the Atlanta area so I missed that he hopped back in at Alabama. He was a superstar back in our day. From the Chicago area (Northbrook) and pretty much ruled junior tennis throughout age groups. Went to Pepperdine and likely played with the men's coach at Furman (Kelly Jones) for a year or two. Great team back then so I'm sure those two will enjoy Furman/Clemson matches going forward.

Mid 50s and will need to recruit well and get an assistant who can hang with top-end talent on the court during individual workouts. Clemson has to improve its talent level to compete. The development model Kriese and his successors had really didn't seem to work. Need guys who can come in and win crucial matches against ACC competition if the program is going to thrive in today's environment.

I will certainly follow his progress to see what he does there. I think it was the right time to get away from Kriese guys in this position. A fresh start with a new facility is a good thing.

Happy for him. Thanks for letting me know."

according to these Alabama tennis people

Jun 10, 2019, 12:49 PM

Weiss was the one behind Alabama's success

https://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php?threads/alabama-mens-tennis.566105/page-4#post-13436448

Re: according to these Alabama tennis people

Jun 10, 2019, 6:11 PM

Thanks for the link. Sounds promising!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic