Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So there I was, having some good success pulling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 294

So there I was, having some good success pulling

Apr 19, 2019, 8:17 AM

the first layer o wall paper down. Even some of the backing was coming off without much effort. Then I get to the door jamb. Somebody went and put caulk over the wall paper. I nearly just burned the house down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wallpaper is the devil.

Apr 19, 2019, 8:29 AM

we had it put in the kitchen and 3 bathrooms when we built the house. Now there is none.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The new place had it in both bathrooms.

Apr 19, 2019, 8:37 AM

It was damaged enough that it just had to come on out. This experience makes me very glad I passed on the house that had painted over wall paper in it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only idiots paint over wallpaper.

Apr 19, 2019, 8:41 AM

I was an idiot once.

Hate that stuff!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was really glad I noticed it on the second walk-through.

Apr 19, 2019, 8:50 AM

I was having a hard time seeing the warts on that house but knew there had to be due to the length of time on the market.

Re: So there I was, having some good success pulling

Apr 19, 2019, 8:56 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiNnRM6OfC8

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That house is gonna smell.***

Apr 19, 2019, 9:02 AM

Yep.

Apr 19, 2019, 9:08 AM

GLORIOUS, LIKE A PICKLE FACTORY.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like pickles, particularly dill pickles.

Apr 19, 2019, 9:15 AM

I like vinegar and pepper bbq. I don't like how vinegar smells without those other things.

Mrs. Tig isn't crazy about it either.

Apr 19, 2019, 9:19 AM

She always says the smell of vinegar reminds her of the vinegar factory in Evansville, Indiana near where she grew up.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dare I ask, good sir, what your technique is for

Apr 19, 2019, 10:47 AM

taking down said wallpaper? Inquiring minds would like to know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

For the outer layer, most came off without even

Apr 19, 2019, 11:00 AM

scoring it.

The next layer I am scoring, putting some chemical on, steaming, then scraping. Some is coming off beautifully while others are peeling like an onion.

I really don't know how I will get that stuff from around the door jamb. So far it has been worse than the stuff on the tub.

Have done this more times than I care to remember...

Apr 19, 2019, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Dare I ask, good sir, what your technique is for ]

It all depends on how the wallpaper was applied and if the wall was prepped correctly first. There may be newer technology now, but the old way was to "score" the paper, roll on a good coat of DIF, let it soak a while, and start peeling. You'll know immediately. If the wall was prepped really well, you can literally stand in the middle of the room and pull off complete sheets. If it wasn't, you're in for a world of hurt. I've pulled off chunks of drywall and practically destroyed the walls...

Cuss, scream, kick the dog, and go buy a ton of spackling....

Also, I've always had better luck with the thick vinyl stuff (bathrooms) vs the paper...

Message was edited by: dark side of the moo®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

This won't be as bad as the other bath simply due to

Apr 19, 2019, 11:11 AM

size. Rolling the chemical on didn't cross my mind, but you are right. In the "good" spots you can see it let loose. Going back with the steam seems to help a good bit but can make the paper too flimsy.

I have too, and I do it the same as you.

Apr 19, 2019, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Have done this more times than I care to remember... ]

Was just seeing if aero would pass the test, and it seems that he has. Not sure what chemical aerozeptallica is using, but DIF is really good.

MauldinT, where are you???

Roman's Piranha***

Apr 19, 2019, 11:23 AM

The only thing that sucks bigger donkey balls than removing

Apr 19, 2019, 11:33 AM [ in reply to I have too, and I do it the same as you. ]

wallpaper is removing that popcorn chit from the ceilings that was so popular in the 80s and 90s. What you typically find is the drywall guys cut a lot of corners with the "tape and mud" because they knew it would all be covered up. You kill yourself spraying and scraping... and this is all above your head work, until your arms, neck and back are screaming with pain... and then you find all of the drywall seams are garbage. So now you have to redo the mud and sand it forever and feather it out to get a perfect surface for painting. And yeah, that's all above your head too.

I've started a "weekend project" on a room and have it take 3 or 4 weeks...and hate life.

smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall

After closing, the grand idea was to remove the

Apr 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

wall paper, repaint the entire house, and pull up carpet.

Laundry room got done, hall bath is almost done, just started the master bath last night. Out stuff arrives on Monday.

Replies: 17
| visibility 294
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic