Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 2003 Clemson- 26 (3)Florida State- 10
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

On This Date: 2003 Clemson- 26 (3)Florida State- 10

Nov 8, 2018, 8:06 AM

November 8, 2003
Death Valley, SC

(credit & thanks to Tigernet for the pictures and article)

TIGERS SHOCK THE WORLD IN BOWDEN BOWL V

by Dan Scott
Correspondent

CLEMSON - Forget trying to figure out these Clemson Tigers. One week after a humiliating 28 point loss at Wake Forest, Tommy Bowden's team pulled off a win over the highest ranked opponent in school history - 26-10 over No. 3 Florida State - Saturday night in Bowden Bowl V.

The Tigers twice had defeated teams ranked No. 4 in the polls, both in 1981 (Georgia, Nebraska), before turning the trick Saturday. In doing so, Clemson not only ended an 11-game losing streak to the Seminoles but - with Bowden's job security so much an issue in the press all week - might have guaranteed that the embattled coach will be around for at least Bowden Bowl VI. "I told him his job out to be good for about another five days," Bobby Bowden joked after the game. "He's probably safe for another week." As the elder Bowden spoke, many of the 81,000 fans in attendance were celebrating on the Death Valley turf. In fact, the good times began to roll a bit early when P.A. announcer Dale Gilbert mistakenly informed the crowd the game was over following a Florida State incompletion that turned the ball over on downs with :05 to go.

As thousands of orange-clad fans stormed the field and attacked both goal posts, the officials waved an end to matters and beat a path to the locker room. Shortly thereafter the goal posts, splintered into multiple sections, were carried out of the stadium and paraded through the streets of Clemson's campus by jubilant fans intent on making this night to remember last as long as possible. "I wish I could say I knew we would win, but no one ever knows from Saturday to Saturday," Tommy Bowden said. "I think the ray of hope is that anything is possible and that our players know that. I told the team the first thing in the locker room after the loss at Wake Forest that I expected to win this game. "What it came down to was personnel. Our guys kept executing and performing." It was that kind of night for the Tigers, who set the tone for the game early on and had an answer for every Florida State challenge.

A late first half touchdown run by Charlie Whitehurst, which put Clemson on top 13-0, offered the first glimpse that Saturday night might be something special. The score was set up by a beautiful 51-yard pass from Whitehurst to Kevin Youngblood to the FSU four, and sent a jolt of electricity through the stadium that lasted through the half. When the lead grew to 23-3 near the end of the third quarter on a Whitehurst-to-Derrick Hamilton 58-yard scoring strike, the very idea of finishing the upset began to take hold. And if there were any doubt left in Death Valley that victory would indeed come to pass, Clemson's defense forced turnovers on FSU's next two possessions - an interception by Leroy Hill and a fumble recovery by DeJuan Polk - ended any hopes of a Seminole rally. "We (FSU) played so good against Notre Dame (last week) and Clemson played so bad against Wake Forest," Bobby Bowden said. "And when you put those two against each other, it's almost like a brain transplant.

After getting run roughshod over for the past two weeks, Clemson's defense appeared to have undergone a heart transplant. After yielding better than 350 yards rushing to Wake Forest a week ago, the Tigers threw up a stone wall at the Florida State running backs. The Seminoles carried 17 times for a net 11 yards on the evening, which turned up the heat on quarterback Chris Rix. Rix threw for 194 yards (16-of-31), but was intercepted twice, sacked three times and was generally ineffective for most of the evening.

https://youtu.be/1X9e_P6X6IU

He was finally pulled in favor of Fabian Walker late in the fourth quarter, who provided FSU with its only touchdown courtesy of a 71-yard strike to Chauncey Stovall. "We tried to make them one dimensional and make Chris Rix beat us," said Clemson linebacker John Leake. "We forced some turnovers and the offense got going. They played great...we beat a great team tonight." Meanwhile, Whitehurst wrapped up another big passing night with a 272 yard performance (17-of-27) to pace an offense which rolled up 424 yards of total offense.

As for the younger Bowden, he refused to speculate on whether this victory was enough to deflect talk about his future employment at the university. Instead, he focused on what it meant for everyone else. "I look at this as a big win for the players and the school," Bowden said. "The president and the administration will have to determine how big of a win it was for me. But I look at more of how big it was for the players. "Professionally it's big when you beat a Bobby Bowden-coached Florida State team you've beaten the best. He's at the top of the list. About everybody behind him is dead, except for (Penn State coach Joe) Paterno.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date: 2003 Clemson- 26 (3)Florida State- 10

Nov 8, 2018, 8:23 AM

If we lose that game, Tommy Bowden is fired at end of season. New coach comes in, and most likely we never see Dabo Swinney as Clemson head coach

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this started that random tear to end 2003***

Nov 8, 2018, 9:15 AM

Nov 8, 2018, 9:52 AM

Ah yes I remember that game well. Whitehurst to Hamilton was the one play that sticks in my mind. Defense played out of their minds.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That play was when I realized that we might actually win

Nov 8, 2018, 10:22 AM

and during the game someone behind me was talking smack about winning, and those of us older than teenagers were telling him to shut up. We'd been teased too many times before.

What a great night that was. I stayed in the stands for a good 45 min after the game to watch the goal posts come down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2018, 9:56 AM

I remember hanging from a goal post, throwing it in reflection and decided that was not good enough and getting it back out.

Nov 8, 2018, 10:08 AM

This was my first memory of attending a big game in the Valley. I was a senior in high school. I had been to many Clemson games before this but none with this type of electricity or magnitude.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic