Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson did not sell out a single home game in 2018
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Clemson did not sell out a single home game in 2018

Jun 6, 2019, 11:26 AM

According to Footballscoop

It’s not just you. The national champions are struggling to fill their stadium, too.

A report from the Greenville News on Tuesday showed Clemson did not sell out a single home game on its perfect route to the 2018 national title — filling Memorial Stadium with an average of 80,400 fans, an average of 98.7 percent of capacity. The largest crowd of the year was against South Carolina, as 81,436 fans came to see the Tigers’ 56-35 win over the Gamecocks, which represents just the third time since 1982 that Clemson failed to draw at least 82,000 to see the Palmetto Bowl.

Amid a nation-wide ticket sales slump, only five programs averaged a sellout in 2018 — Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Utah.

Clemson attributed its lack of sellouts to its opponent — specifically, those who return some of the visitor’s allotment, only to see those tickets go unused when Clemson fans don’t realize the school still has tickets to sell.

Because of that, Louisville drew a smaller crowd (78,741) than local FCS foe Furman (80,048).

“Our toughest chore here is just building awareness that we actually have those tickets,” Clemson assistant AD for ticket operations Owen Godfrey told the paper. “If you hear that we’re sold out of season tickets, you don’t know you can order directly from Clemson.”

But still, Clemson sold out every game of its 2015 season — a schedule that included Notre Dame and Florida State — back when Dabo Swinney’s program was on its long climb up National Championship Mountain.

Now that the Tigers have done it, and did it again last season, they’re having trouble filling Death Valley East.

Again, it’s not just you.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2018 home schedule was incredibly weak

Jun 6, 2019, 11:42 AM

Bet the A&M game sells out this year this year

Worst schedule in years just by virtue of the home/away

Jun 6, 2019, 11:47 AM

Re: Clemson did not sell out a single home game in 2018

Jun 6, 2019, 11:43 AM

I prefer tv.

Too hot/humid for all the sissy yankees admissions takes...

Jun 6, 2019, 11:50 AM

need a better class of student.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ POTD***

Jun 6, 2019, 11:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Thank you, it's hard to argue, so I won't.***

Jun 6, 2019, 1:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Too hot/humid for all the sissy yankees admissions takes...

Jun 6, 2019, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Too hot/humid for all the sissy yankees admissions takes... ]

We were mediocre and had a chance to win the ACC (BC drop) when I was a student and the student section was unbelievable, it didn’t matter if we were playing FSU or wake the student section especially the hill was packed... now you can watch games and the hill is barely 3/4 full if that. I don’t get it at all , and I know they changed student tickets but whatever they did it needs to be changed back bc that’s pathetic

They limit the number of people who can be on The Hill...

Jun 6, 2019, 1:43 PM

in case it catches on fire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: They limit the number of people who can be on The Hill...

Jun 8, 2019, 7:52 PM

I can't understand the ruling of the fire marshal. The only thing I can see for this regulation is emergency evacuation. We in the stands are packed in as tight as those sitting on the hill and emergency evacuation from the stands would be more difficult. I have never read or heard the reason for limiting the number on the hill.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 12:03 PM

Maybe they can put those big canvas covers over the corner section seats of the upper decks like some stadiums do. We can have all our Natty and conference championships years printed on them. Wink.

Jun 6, 2019, 12:17 PM

Maybe colleges need to look into the mirror and realize, the cost of going to a game is getting way too expensive. Two tickets cost me $350/game. Add another $50 for gas and concessions. That's a steep bill for most people....and me.

Buddy of my has been giving 12k+ to IPTAY for more than 30 years. IPTAY requested he start paying $25K to keep is parking space.

He punted. The reality is you can buy tickets online in the lower section for every game and still spend less than what Clemson requires.

this has a lot to do with our opponents

Jun 6, 2019, 1:02 PM

Basically bringing no away fans

this is what happens when the conference footprint

Jun 6, 2019, 2:23 PM

gets too big and the teams we brought in suck.

Doesn't help that prices have gotten crazy.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The scalpers are usually holding about 100 each

Jun 6, 2019, 3:24 PM

Not surprised.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2019, 3:39 PM

From my experience the upper corners on the south side are very rarely filled, even in a sellout but what bothers me the most is the appearance of the hill nowadays. I heard it was fire marshal, but it still sucks. When I was a freshman, it was always full. A great place to watch a big game. Really not sure how keeping it only 1/2 full is necessary. Fire marshal must've gone to UofSC, but that seems above the pay grade for one of their graduates...

What with people having big screen.........

Jun 6, 2019, 3:47 PM

HDTV's and hi-def sound and 50 cameras showing the games it's not surprising.

It's not like the old days when watching a game on TV could be a chore.

Jun 6, 2019, 3:52 PM

Clemson should consider trying to get more students to come by going back to the old system where students camp out for their tickets. And there are ways to advertise available tickets on the radio and via email.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 8, 2019, 2:40 PM

Lowering capacity a bit and adding more chair back seats might be the best option longterm. More fans watching college football at home or from a sports bar isn't a trend that is likely to change nationally.

THE Death Valley

Jun 8, 2019, 7:29 PM

Not "Death Valley East".

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic