Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
playoff chaos
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,301

playoff chaos

Nov 27, 2018, 11:34 AM

Say UGA beats Bama and Ohio St and Oklahoma win handedly. Will the committee really keep out a conference champion in favor of keeping Bama in? If this scenario were to happen, maybe they keep out ND bc they didn't play a championship game? something like:
1. Clemson
2. UGA
3. Oklahoma
4. Bama

5. ND 6. Ohio St.

Would any of yall be opposed to that? I mean everyone else played a championship game and ND sat at home.

Lets say the unthinkable happens: Bama loses, 0hi0 St. loses and Oklahoma loses. Would UCF sneak in?

1. Clemson
2. ND
3. UGA
4. UCF

or would Bama take 4 and UCF be left out?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: playoff chaos

Nov 27, 2018, 11:35 AM

I don't imagine the committee will allow UCF to play without their QB. It would be like giving their opponent a bye.

you are probably right

Nov 27, 2018, 11:40 AM

but I hate that the committee would discount a team based on one player. I mean I know its their best player but if they are undefeated and all the teams in front of them didn't take care of business then what does that say? I still think Bama would stay in front of them which would mean we would have to play them in the Orange Bowl in Semi Final which would suck. Of course this is all worst case scenario so doubt it happens. I think Bama rolls on UGA

I'll take option 2. No xmas this year kids. Daddy's in Vegas***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

hahaha***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:41 AM

I have always maintained...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:40 AM

that only conference champions should be eligible for the CFP.

If Bama loses on Saturday, they should be out !!!

In your last scenario, Bama would get in over UCF.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

what about ND?

Nov 27, 2018, 11:42 AM

no conference
no conference champion

so bump Ohio St. and Oklahoma into the playoff?

The CFP Committee makes exceptions for Notre Dame...

Nov 27, 2018, 11:59 AM

but I wouldn't.

Either join a conference or get used to being on the outside looking in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 27, 2018, 11:42 AM

There's absolutely ZERO chance that ND does not make the playoffs. They're in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, as well they should be

Nov 27, 2018, 11:50 AM

Winning every game against a P5 level schedule gets you in over teams with a loss.

I agree

Nov 27, 2018, 11:53 AM

I think 12-0 outweighs the lack of having to play a conference title game. The 1 loss teams are allowed a mulligan so ND should be too in a way.

Additionally

Nov 27, 2018, 11:57 AM

Our conference championship game is against a team they already beat. It's not like we're playing a top 10 team to pad the resume.

I just hate the idea that seems to be getting more pervasive that we should rely on feeling who is better rather than making teams win their games. For cripes sake there was serious talk on ESPN prior to last weekend that if Michigan won out they should be in at the sake of ND if it came down to those 2 teams. There's just this mentality growing of "Oh, they just look better now" rather than pointing at a picture of the scoreboard and saying, "Well, ND won the dang game".

you are correct.***

Nov 27, 2018, 11:52 AM [ in reply to Re: playoff chaos ]

if bama were to get left out it would be due to the

Nov 27, 2018, 11:47 AM

first scenario..if everyone loses then bama would have the best loss of the three ohio state and oklahoma so no way you could keep them out at that point..they would likely get in the first one as well but would be a little more drama at that point

Nov 27, 2018, 1:01 PM

only way Bama is left out is if they get blown out by UGA; and OSU or OU wins. But don't see that happening. My prediction: 1) Bama 2) Clemson 3) ND 4) OU

Nov 27, 2018, 1:30 PM

I don't see Bama getting beat either but if everyone that supposed to win this weekend wins (OSU and Oklahoma) and Bama loses (HAHA) then Bama is left out. The ONLY reason they got in before OSU last year is because OSU had 2 losses. Remember after the final week before conference championships last year the committee had Bama at #5. Behind Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin. The committee had Bama #5, UGA #6, Miami #7 and OSU #8. The committee said that the margin between #5 and #8 was very small. Then we beat Miami bad, USA beat Auburn and because OSU already had 2 losses the committee decided to take Bama. This year is completely different with ND already a lock (Undefeated), As long as we win (Undefeated) that leaves 2 spots for 4 teams. SECheat Champion would take 1 of those. Leaving 3 teams with the same record to battle for the final spot. My bet would be Oklahoma because Texas is higher ranked than Northwestern and Oklahoma would have revenged its only loss. Unfortunately for UCF is they could go undefeated again and still be left out. I do think they will move up at least 1 spot this week with Michigan, LSU, and WSU all losing ahead of them but I see OSU jumping them. So they will end up being either number 7 or 8. That could get interesting if they win this week and UGA, Oklahoma, OSU all lose. which isn't out of the realm of possibility. What would the committee do? Take a 2 loss non-conference champion over them. probably so. Which one would be interesting.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what will happen (all assuming Clemson wins):

Nov 27, 2018, 1:26 PM

Option 1: Bama beats UGA. Oklahoma wins.
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. ND
4. Oklahoma
(this is the one I'd like to see)

Option 2: Bama loses to UGA.
1. Clemson
2. ND
3. UGA
4. Bama

Option 3: Bama wins. Oklahoma loses. Ohio State wins.
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. ND
4. Ohio State

Option 4: Bama wins. Oklahoma loses. Ohio State loses.
1. Bama
2. Clemson
3. ND
4. Michigan
Does Michigan deserve to be there? No. But the committee isn't going to put UGA there to have an immediate rematch with Alabama in the playoff, so Michigan would get the edge.

UCF had a snowball's chance in #### before their star QB got hurt. They will not be in the playoff.

Re: Here's what will happen (all assuming Clemson wins):

Nov 27, 2018, 1:35 PM

I think option 4 would give the committee an out to put them in to show them they don't belong. I don't think option 2 is a possibility if both Oklahoma and OSU both win. But I also see UGA staying at #4 if they lose and both Oklahoma and OSU lose as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2018, 2:07 PM

Not without a QB.

UCF is done.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,301
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic