Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Buzz Williams to Texas A&M
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Buzz Williams to Texas A&M

Apr 3, 2019, 9:32 AM

he's going to get a big pay raise

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ugh!

Apr 3, 2019, 9:34 AM

Now Texas A&M will be really good in every sport.

Why can’t that be us?!?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Ugh!

Apr 3, 2019, 9:37 AM

Just guessing, but Oil Millions, maybe? Any of the Texas schools seem to have this built in advantage. Maybe we could get Dubai to adopt us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Ugh! ]

Wait, A&M has a natty trophy case like uOFsc...

Womens Basketball, softball, equestrian...

and only one respectable sport: Golf

Actually, that might be less than the coots, especially for valuable trophies.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hook, line, and sinker***

Apr 3, 2019, 10:22 AM

So Women's sports aren't "respectable"?***

Apr 3, 2019, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Ugh! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Apr 3, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Ugh! ]

A&M has more treasure?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Arrrrgggghh!***

Apr 3, 2019, 10:37 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does VT regret hiring Buzz Williams

Apr 3, 2019, 9:45 AM

and having the success they had?

One way to avoid this type of situation is to hire a coach that seldom if ever gets to the tournament. That way, you never have to worry about this day ever coming. Nobody will come after him. You can keep that kind of guy around for a long long time.

^^^^^ underrated post***

Apr 3, 2019, 9:48 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VT should be asking themselves why he left.

Apr 3, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Does VT regret hiring Buzz Williams ]

And what they could've done to keep a successful coach.

That's what Clemson should have thought about after Barnes and Purnell left too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I'm sure they are. I am also sure that they aren't looking

Apr 3, 2019, 10:11 AM

at the next hire and saying "let's hire someone crappy that nobody will come after - somebody that nobody will ever want. If we never have success, we'll never have to experience this again."

Huh?!?

Apr 3, 2019, 10:19 AM

What are you talking about?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

IU pursued CBB, but

Apr 3, 2019, 12:59 PM [ in reply to I'm sure they are. I am also sure that they aren't looking ]

instead chose Crean. Also Brownell interviewed for the Witchita State job before coming to Clemson.

Indiana pursued Brownell in 08 before he came to Clemson?

Apr 3, 2019, 1:51 PM

The guy they got instead took them to 4 NCAA Tournaments and 3 Sweet Sixteens in 9 years.

Texas is home for Buzz***

Apr 3, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to VT should be asking themselves why he left. ]

Any excuse will do.***

Apr 3, 2019, 10:20 AM

I hear he was caught in a

Apr 3, 2019, 10:48 AM

compromising position with a hokie!

Just kidding, that always seems to be the rumor/excuse when a Clemson coach leaves. I don't really blame him for going back home, and to a place that probably has deeper pockets.

Are you suggesting that Buzz being from Texas

Apr 3, 2019, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Any excuse will do.*** ]

graduated from a TAMU school and having been a previous assistant coach at TAMU had nothing to do with this decision?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

No, I'm sure it did.***

Apr 3, 2019, 11:23 AM

Then why the snarky "any excuse will do" comment?***

Apr 3, 2019, 11:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Because basketball fans at football schools are quick

Apr 3, 2019, 11:41 AM

to point to excuses when a coach leaves their basketball program. I'm speaking more about Clemson losing Barnes and Purnell than I am VT losing Buzz.

I get that Buzz might've wanted to go back home. Maybe the timing was right for his family, and there is nothing VT could do. But like us, they have a poor track record of keeping successful basketball coaches as well. At some point, the pattern is worth examining.

I am pretty sure you are the one throwing excuses out there

Apr 3, 2019, 12:48 PM

for why they left...

"no support" - "no fans" - "no commitment from admin"

You can't accept the fact that sometimes coaches move on, whether it be for better opportunity, new challenges, etc... I am amazed at how you find new ways to throw our recent successful coaches under the bus.

Wait, are you saying that you don't think Barnes and Purnell

Apr 3, 2019, 1:19 PM

left Clemson because they were offered better support from the other athletic department (Texas and DePaul)?

You do know that they were given substantial raises from what they were making at Clemson, right?

I'm not throwing those coaches under the bus. I don't blame them one bit for leaving and going to a situation where they were better compensated and had administrations that supported basketball better than Clemson did.

The majority of the time

Apr 3, 2019, 1:24 PM [ in reply to I am pretty sure you are the one throwing excuses out there ]

coaches leave d1 schools to go to different different d1 schools because of an increase in pay, better basketball tradition, and an increase of fan support. In some rare occasions coaches will go to certain schools because it’s their alma mater, but that happens very rarely. Archie Miller didn’t go from Dayton to IU, because of “new challenges”. And in terms of OP, yes he did go to Depaul for college, but Clemson shouldn’t lose a head coach to a school with a meh basketball tradition and a non power five school. I guarantee you Purcell doesn’t leave a school like Duke UNC, or even a place like NC State to go to Depaul.

I agree with your post.

Apr 3, 2019, 1:46 PM

But Purnell went to college at Old Dominion, not DePaul. He had no prior connection to DePaul as far as I know.

of course he is.. he thinks when a coach leaves a school

Apr 3, 2019, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Are you suggesting that Buzz being from Texas ]

it’s always b/c of the admin and fan support

And you think it's always due to something out of the

Apr 3, 2019, 11:43 AM

school's control.

Re: And you think it's always due to something out of the

Apr 3, 2019, 11:51 AM

Noo, he has moving standards. So who knows....

Anyway, he has used VT as an example that we should follow but completely ignored that Buzz at VT was a very unusual case, not really replicated. There are not a lot of Elite-8 coaches wanting to leave a basketball school in Wisconsin. His, follow VT example was not sustainable for a program. Now, the reality is that VT will more likely hire a James Johnson, Ricky Stokes, or Hussey level coach than not.

VT is in a dearth of coaching pool with a primary rival that looks to be able to sustain deep NCAA runs (finally). That is going to be a hard sell, but unlike Clemson they will spend money on basketball.

you have a link to that "always" line?***

Apr 3, 2019, 12:50 PM [ in reply to And you think it's always due to something out of the ]

He's from Texas and went to A&M

Apr 3, 2019, 11:09 AM [ in reply to VT should be asking themselves why he left. ]

I think that's enough reason and VT couldn't have done much at all to keep him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: VT should be asking themselves why he left.

Apr 3, 2019, 11:41 AM [ in reply to VT should be asking themselves why he left. ]

Purnell had worn out his welcome. Like many coaches, they splash big but can't keep it going. I do not know why that is, but many are like that. Buck Showalter comes to mind. Barnes, we had the best. But he caused his own problems, I believe.Totally different situation.

Isn't he from Texas and an A&M alum?***

Apr 3, 2019, 10:16 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yes. And, yes.

Apr 3, 2019, 10:26 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Williams

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Buzz Williams to Texas A&M

Apr 3, 2019, 11:16 AM

I’ll always be a fan of Buzz

https://youtu.be/4Qz58jMhDDA

Apr 3, 2019, 11:16 AM

I’ll always be a fan of Buzz

https://youtu.be/4Qz58jMhDDA

Apr 3, 2019, 11:26 AM

Dud we just win 1 - 3 extra games next year?

How did VT convince him to come there in the first place

Apr 3, 2019, 12:20 PM

thats what baffled me. I put VT into the BC, GT, up to recently Wake category. Even though i could see a WAke Forest move, but VT? What was the purpose? I figured he was just from there but sounds like he's from TexasAM. That was a weird stop.

And why did Crean go to UGA? Why did PEarl go to Auburn? Why did BArnes go to TEnnessee? Even Frank Martin to USuCk was surprising.... Why can't we figure out the secret of getting established successful coaches to come to Clemson?

Re: How did VT convince him to come there in the first place

Apr 3, 2019, 1:24 PM

I think it was a power 5 conference that was NOT in Wisconsin.

Bleaksburg is bleak and cold, but not the tundra. It might as well have been the Bahamas compared to Wisc.

The rest are easy.... Barnes was fired, Crean was fired, Martin is a coot, and Pearl was fired and under investigation. SEC will let you be crooked and spend money. I doubt any of those coaches will at those schools in 5 years, maybe less than 3.

Re: How did VT convince him to come there in the first place

Apr 3, 2019, 1:36 PM

That AU Final Four Story is a wild one, huh?

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic