Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Glad We Get A&M Early In 2019
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Glad We Get A&M Early In 2019

Apr 17, 2019, 1:56 PM

Texas A&M hasn't received a lot of respect as we approach the '19 season. This is coming from many parts of the country. Reasons likely are:

Jimbo took over a veteran team in '18 to go 9&4. A lot of those guys are gone.

Aggies lose 3 big-time starters from the O-line & 5 of the D front 7. Also their top, really good RB, & 1 or 2 from the "not so great" starting D-backfield.

A&M was near the bottom of the SEC in giving up the big pass.

Some of the bad press on A&M's upcoming year is probably because they have a very tough schedule, including CU, Bama, UGA & 3/4 others that won't be easy.

Most don't think they'll win 9 again this year - maybe 7 or 8.

But they do have talent & about 17 mid-years we've never seen - except for their spring game.

They lost a receiver or 2, but return some good ones like Kendrick Rogers (#13). Receivers, really, they've got plenty.

Running back will be by committee, but that doesn't make them bad. Like in CU's case - we got great play from Choice, Feaster, Dixon (& others) & obviously Etienne.

Don't forget they still have Mond @ QB.

They like to involve the TEs too, & they've got a 6'-7" monster ready to step in there.

Yep - unlikely Jimbo's guys win a NC or an SEC this year, but before they "gel" later in '19 - I'd rather play 'em in early Sept.

And it is Jimbo's team. Anyone who takes them lightly (I'm sure NOT Clemson), could end up on the losing end.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They’re a consensus preseason top 10 team.

Apr 17, 2019, 2:15 PM

Our most difficult stretch will be our 1st 4 games.

Re: Glad We Get A&M Early In 2019

Apr 17, 2019, 2:21 PM

I don't like Jimbo... but Jimbo's teams always fight hard.

While our offense is the "known" and I expect A&M to bring a good game but they are unknown... and unknown kids looking to topple the king always fight hard.

We need to give them a gut-shot early and then run down hill. They have the talent but we need to take the fight out of them fast. That and their QB is very "Dungey" like baller. So expect that to be no-fun.

We are favored by 3 touchdowns

Apr 17, 2019, 2:22 PM

it won't be that close

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Preseason Top 10 almost consensus. College Gameday will

Apr 17, 2019, 2:39 PM

(unless they choose LSU at Texas) probably be here. They aren't being overlooked, but everyone has acknowledged their schedule includes at Clemson, Alabama, at Georgia, at LSU. 100% agree with you on getting them early. We all know as Clemson fans how hard it is for even a great Football team that ends up accomplishing great things to travel in Week 1 or Week 2 to a hostile environment so early. Would much rather be us than Georgia, who hosts them in early November.

The glaring mismatch in this game will be their Front 7 on Defense against our Offense. They replace 5 of 7, and again, they have great players, recruit well, and will eventually gel, but in Week 2 on the road against our offense and running game, that's not a good matchup for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Preseason Top 10 almost consensus. College Gameday will

Apr 17, 2019, 2:59 PM

If I was Jimbo, replacing the defensive front would be my preferred group to rebuild as compared to o-line, or even the secondary. Bringing in talent without a drop is possible. The trick is whether or not we can take advantage of a lack of discipline from young guys... and if they have the talent-depth to keep going hard.

Just flip the ######, BV is doing the same thing and we might have the most confidence reloading a legendary group of guys. Them rebuilding part of their oline might also be a very big deal.

Apr 17, 2019, 2:43 PM

"Aggies lose 3 big-time starters from the O-line & 5 of the D front 7. Also their top, really good RB, & 1 or 2 from the "not so great" starting D-backfield."

I have not looked at them yet, and this makes me feel better about them. I only knew they lost their best RB. All the other losses are huge. Mond is an excellent QB IMO, but he was in friendly confines last year, and Death Valley is off the chart for opposing QB's.

Thanks for the analysis. +1

Apr 17, 2019, 2:50 PM

we were even luckier last year to face a team that was breaking in an entire new office, yet they kept it pretty close. Having them at home should seal the deal, but we have a big old target on us and Jimbo will not have a tough time getting his kids up for this game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 18, 2019, 9:00 PM

Not sure I agree. The newness was a double edged sword. Yes, they would likely have better at what they wanted to do later, but our staff had virtually no tape to review and therefore little they could definitely prepare for. They said as much prior to the game.

no way Mond has as many miracle completions this time.***

Apr 17, 2019, 4:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Apr 17, 2019, 6:28 PM

No way they get the luck bounces like they did last year and our offense is almost unstoppable

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No miracles with XT in his grill all night.....

Apr 18, 2019, 7:56 AM [ in reply to no way Mond has as many miracle completions this time.*** ]

### marks the spot

Apr 17, 2019, 4:26 PM

Aren't we breaking in a new D-line? Secondary looks good but is mostly young and Lamar not back at LB. Sure our offense is loaded but this still might be a tough game even at home though i hope we crush another SEC team!

Don't forget!

Apr 17, 2019, 6:35 PM

We hadn't seen a whole lot of film on how Jimbo planned on using the personnel he had on offense! I seem to recall rumors of him using more spread; since those guys were recruited as spread players under Sumlin. So, no chance for BV to really get a solid plan together on how he likes to use his playmakers! What will be bad for them is: "BV having all that time to formulate an attack plan"! Our new starters on defense may not be so much of a hindrance here. The GT game will give them a look; but often you can't go off just 1 game.
XT and J. Mascol and KJ Henry will pressure Mond to no end. It will be early in the season; probably a night game and their offense will have to deal with it. How would you like to be that LT and XT is looking to destroy your QB?
I mean, you never underestimate a coach that won a NC; which Jimbo has! So, you know the Aggies will be ready. Will they be ready for what Clemson will bring though? Not during game 2. . I agree with previous post!
KB was 12/17 for 205 yards. TL16 had a nice game and a TD - 93 yards. They shut down the running game as Travis only had 54 yards. With an experienced OL; I see it being hard for them to contain him for that!
Prediction: much different game than at Kyle Field. Our offense should be more potent. XT is faster than the two guys who will be high draft picks off the edge. Plus, the noise the crowd will present and Mond having to call protections to guard against one of the quickest players you have ever seen off the edge(XT) will cause problems. BV will have the defense ready for Jimbo's favorite plays.

A&M has good WR's but none are Justin Ross or Tee Higgins like - where you can have the play defensed perfect and they still win!
In short, they were set up well to have done well against us last year! This year they won't be so lucky!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't forget!

Apr 17, 2019, 6:43 PM

Brent Venables + time + home field + film on you = "you better come with it and be dang near flawless"! Game two even for good teams(including us) guarantees you won't be flawless!

Apr 17, 2019, 8:58 PM

let's not forget, it was only TL's 2nd game, at night, on the road, big stage, rabid fans. I think he will be a bit more comfortable this year.

Apr 17, 2019, 9:09 PM

LOL, love all that. You forgot the rain; which always helps the underdog!

They will be fresher early and their lack of quality depth

Apr 17, 2019, 9:18 PM

won't be as big a factor, personally, I'd rather play them later, after they get beaten up...It wouldn't have been a 2 point game if we had played them the 6th or 7th game of the season last year

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They will be fresher early and their lack of quality depth

Apr 17, 2019, 10:22 PM

They recruit well; so not sure they won't have quality depth! I understand what you are getting at regarding us being better later in the season! But, the same goes for them! And again, look at their recruiting rank the last 4 to 5 years - it's very good!

Hopefully, they don't have the benefit of the rain hampering things! Sure they play on/in it too. But, the favorite perhaps had a speed advantage that gets neutralized or line of scrimmage advantage etc.

I do think had we played them @ Kyle Field under the same weather conditions say around game 8 we would have smashed them even in their place. But, to me, it's not about us getting seasoned SO MUCH AS IT'S ABOUT BV HAVING A GOOD SAMPLE SIZE OF "WHAT YOU WILL RUN OFFENSIVELY"! As long as he is here we will always have an advantage during say bowl games when you have extra time to prepare!
See A&M had all the advantages last year in that game.
**what offense would they run - couldn't count the lay up game week 1 really.
**playing at home.
**the rain.
**unsettled QB competition going in.
**Jimbo's familiarity with Clemson personnel and schemes. Remember - word was they were going to run some type of hybrid pro-style(Jimbo) spread(Kevin Sumlin) offense. Nobody knew and is why - we didn't enjoy the same advantage!
**1st big game for many new starters and it's at one of the loudest venues in the country! Tough deal for those offensive starters.
**Love KB - but lack of a "consistent" vertical passing game that can make the defense honest. They played the safety in the box the whole game. Ready for bubble screens and flares! They won't be able to or 5 and 8 will have one on ones and a QB with the arm talent to get it to them. This should mean we are actually able to run the football! Travis only had 54 yards. KB had 43 or something similar.

As good as they should be this year( Top 10 ). I expect the Tigers to win. Not just as a Tigers fan; but as a person who loves the sport of football! X and O's I give us the advantage as well as my orange colored heart in other words!

Apr 17, 2019, 10:52 PM

I've never particularly liked playing Jimbo back in the day when he first took over because he has half-time adjustments can be absolutely brutal. That's one thing that has always impressed me about him when his team isn't just ######## the bed so badly on its own without any help from needed.

Remember those years we'd be up like 14+ at halftime and they'd come out and completely shut us down while also lighting us up and end up winning back around the time that very controversial word was being used to mock such losses?

Apr 17, 2019, 10:54 PM

With Trevor in command of our offense and a hungry defense bent on making a name for itself I predict that the TAMU game will not beas close as some of us think .
Clemson by 2 or more TDs . Probably along the lines of 37-17 .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

One or two things to add about A&M

Apr 18, 2019, 2:36 PM

Mond got great protection last year with all those vets on the O-line. 3 of the really key guys have moved on. Maybe they've got great talent, but will that line gel in time for CU?

One reason Etienne got only 50 or so yards was - those OTHER great ones on the Aggies front 7 were built to shut the run DOWN! Their specialty. With 5 of them gone - nobody knows if Jimbo's replacements will be as stout - but I'd tend to think a much more seasoned Etienne + Feaster + LJD + Trevor (and more) probably spells trouble for them.

Anyhow, kinda good to get a tough opponent in game 2 to help us get '19 rolling early. I expect us to win at DV!

Re: One or two things to add about A&M

Apr 18, 2019, 9:08 PM

Plus, the safeties were playing in the box all game. They were willing to live with the results if we could "CONSISTENTLY" hit WR's downfield. But, they were not going to let KB and ET beat us. A team plays us that way at their own demise with TL or CB at QB. TH, JR, DO, Ladson and Ngata and company at WR.
Which should mean more running room for ET. I predict a much different outcome in favor of Clemson; in a sound way!

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic