Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UMass hockey: 5 wins to 30 wins in two seasons
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,537

UMass hockey: 5 wins to 30 wins in two seasons

Apr 11, 2019, 9:52 PM

UMass is a perennial doormat in college hockey, and they are 2 periods away from beating Denver, arguably the best program in college hockey, to advance to the national championship game.

Gotta love underdog stories!

One of the key reasons for the turnaround was Cale Makar, a defenseman from Canada who was drafted 4th prior to him lacing them up for the Minutemen. He delayed his professional career to honor his commitment to a 5-win team.

UMass went 17-20-2 last year to start the turnaround. Makar again turned down the NHL, to comeback this year to complete the improbable turnaround to become one of the best teams in college hockey. They are 30-9-0 and in their first Frozen Four. They are 40 minutes away from taking on the defending national champs in Minnesota-Duluth.

Just wanted to share a great sports story, and the Clemson hockey board is under construction.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Update: UMass and Denver are tied 3-3 at the end of the 3rd. OT playoff hockey is the best***

Apr 11, 2019, 11:28 PM

maybe this can be Clemson men's tennis next year

Apr 11, 2019, 11:56 PM

Also glad to see North Dakota didn't make it. Awful fanbase

UMASS WINS!! UMASS WINS!! On to take on the defending champs!***

Apr 12, 2019, 12:07 AM

So, Makar is UMass's

Apr 12, 2019, 5:01 AM

CJ Spiller? ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UMass hockey: 5 wins to 30 wins in two seasons

Apr 12, 2019, 6:26 AM

They also got a new coach who was in the nhl
as a scout for over a decade who put a whole new coaching staff together... 19 of their 25 players weren’t on the 5 win team (freshmen and sophomores) and they have multiple guys that have nhl talent... and they also put a lot of money into the program and upgraded their hockey facilities...

It’s a great story but it’s a whole lot more then just 1 player as the new coach can evaluate talent and recruit...

I hasten to point out the fact that their current coach was the coach of their 5-win season

Apr 12, 2019, 10:32 AM

But, yes, you are correct about the turnaround not being on one player. But, he is their star and the best player in college hockey, so I thought I'd tell his story.

I didn't realize how many players weren't on the team 2 seasons ago, so thanks for pointing out that fact.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,537
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic