Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If Dexter Lawrence is the best recruit out of the 2016 class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

If Dexter Lawrence is the best recruit out of the 2016 class

Apr 24, 2019, 11:16 PM

for Clemson, who is 2nd and 3rd?

The way I see it, stars meaning nothing outside of Dexter.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Dexter Lawrence is the best recruit out of the 2016 class

Apr 25, 2019, 6:41 AM

Shaq Smith and Tre Lamar. Simmons is a baller too.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If Dexter Lawrence is the best recruit out of the 2016 class

Apr 25, 2019, 7:09 AM

Shaq Smith? lol you think he's been better than Simmons, Wallace or Trayvon Mullen?

John Simpson and Tremayne Anchrum are in that conversation for best of 2016 too

Not this again

Apr 25, 2019, 6:50 AM

Stars most certainly matter. If you want to see what a team full of 3*’s and a handful of 4*’s looks like, go watch NC State play.

stars somewhat matter

Apr 25, 2019, 8:46 AM

most of the 5* and 4* in recruiting are given those rankings bc they warrant it by their play, potential, and how well they perform in camp settings. However, stars don't always show a players ability and superstar capability. If our team was full of 2* and 3* yea I don't think we would be very good. However to say that stars matter in the grand scheme of things is a lie. For each individual player stars don't matter, for a team trying to win a championship stars somewhat matter. We won the championship 2 times with an average recruiting ranking in the teens. No other school can say they did that. Want to know why? bc we sign the 2* and 3* who fit our identity and culture at Clemson. So stars somewhat matter.

some examples of when stars didn't matter:

Russell Wilson 2* ATH---just became highest paid QB in NFL if i'm not mistaken.
Grady Jarrett 2* DT-- just got the franchise tag and if he doesn't sign a long term deal will make about 15 million this season.
Hunter Renfrow 2* ATH-- I don't think I need to make a case for him.
JJ Watt 2* DE-- umm he's pretty good
LeVeon Bell 2* RB-- he's a pretty dynamic RB in the NFL, even though he set out a season to get that ca$h
Antonio Brown 2* WR-- making money in NFL
Khalil Mack 2* LB-- might be the best NFL defensive player in the game right now.

Also we don't win championships without these players:

Cade Stewart 2* OL---depth player who started few games this season
Nolan Turner 2* S-- came up big in the playoffs and was a solid player all season.
Denzel Johnson 2* S-- solid depth player and had some good moments this season
Judah and JD Davis 2* LB---again solid depth players and JD started some games for us...a Championship Team had a 2* LB start some games.
Ryan Carter 2* DB--was our starting nickel for 2 seasons, and even played corner a few games when we had injuries and was probably one of our best corners down the stretch in 2016
TJ Green 2* S-- starter on our 2015 team that lost to Bama in Championship

You picked out 13 players

Apr 25, 2019, 8:50 AM

Over like a 10 year span that outplayed their ranking. That’s a minuscule percentage. To win championships you have to recruit more blue chip players than not. It’s called the Blue Chip Ratio and there’s all kinds of statistical evidence that backs it up.

Cherry pick the .1% of 2 star players that turned into really good players. And there are plenty of blue chip busts too. But it’s been proven that if you want to win championships, stars matter a lot. You still have to develop those players once they get there but you’re not winning titles without a majority of your roster blue chip players.

Re: You picked out 13 players

Apr 25, 2019, 8:52 AM

Also can’t look at pure recruiting team rankings over that time because most of our classes in there were small. Look at the player average and we were recruiting at an elite level. Not what we are now but still a championship level.

there are many more i'm sure to pick out

Apr 25, 2019, 11:17 AM [ in reply to You picked out 13 players ]

I picked the most prevalent. I'm not even arguing that for a team that rankings somewhat matter, i'm just merely pointing out that stars only partly matter. Don't get butt hurt that I gave examples of why stars don't always matter. For a team yes have highly ranked guys helps, but even Clemson average recruiting classes that won championships were in the teens. but stars themselves don't matter completely, especially for the players themselves.

just to clarify

Apr 25, 2019, 11:23 AM

i'm not saying that 5* and 4* don't help us when championships bc they do, but so do those 3* and 2* guys

Okay let’s get to the crux of the argument

Apr 25, 2019, 11:32 AM [ in reply to there are many more i'm sure to pick out ]

What % do you think that the amount of stars matter on a championship team? If we’re only looking at stars vs development

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic