Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just for "sh-ts and giggles" . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,281

Just for "sh-ts and giggles" . . .

Apr 20, 2019, 8:00 PM

Plunder through these 6 pages of TEAM BATTING AVERAGES:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/baseball/d1/current/team/210

tired of looking??? . . . out of 297 schools . . . Our Tigers are #208 . . . coots are #255 . . . (we can be found on the 5th and 6th pages respectively)

~70% of all college teams hit for a better average than us

~ 86% of all college teams hit for a better average than the coots

I know every team faces different pitching and different situations . . . but a general consensus can be reached:
Something needs to change!!!

No one can tell me our hitting approach "is working" . . . No one can tell me our guys wouldn't benefit from a true hitting coach . . . Or . . . at least a change in our hitting philosophy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just for "sh-ts and giggles" . . .

Apr 20, 2019, 8:06 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 8:11 PM

I agree...it’s to the point of embarrassing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it’s been a long time since the Tigers

Apr 20, 2019, 9:45 PM

Had a good hitting coach. It’s not just this year. There are guys out there who are available to help with these problems. I know of a couple of ex major league hitting coaches within a few hours drive from Clemson.
Seth Beer is still playing A ball. What does that tell you?

Re: it’s been a long time since the Tigers

Apr 20, 2019, 10:04 PM

It tells me a lot. Every team put that ridiculous shift on him and rarely did he ever beat it. Heck, all he had to do was drop the bat on the ball and even with his concrete boots he’d have beaten it out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When the shift is put in place on lefties . . .

Apr 20, 2019, 10:50 PM

the pitcher must pitch from the "middle-in" . . . meaning nothing on the outside corner . . . thus forcing the hitter to pull the ball into the shift

Yet because of our hitting philosophy, we continue to try to pull outside pitches . . . giving our opponents a BOGO situation . . . the shift beats us if we pull the ball . . . we become easy strikeout victims trying to pull outside pitches . . . we must make them pay when they pitch us outside!!!

Watch Freddie Freeman (1st baseman, Atlanta) . . . he will wear a shift out better than anyone I've seen . . . If he's pitched middle-in, he drives the ball to right . . . if they mess up and try to pitch him outside, he drives the ball through the huge gap towards left.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When the shift is put in place on lefties . . .

Apr 21, 2019, 7:58 AM

Heck, maybe even bunt towards 3rd. Object of hitting is to get on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 10:01 PM

I would love more in depth analysis on what the kids are being taught. We have a lot of access and information and measurements in football and can see the natural progress of a given player. Not so much in baseball.

What’s the natural a player has coming in and what is that player being taught? Does it go against his natural tendencies? Idk.

When it’s a 2-1 count, imo the batter is going to most likely get the best pitch to hit. Or a 2-0 count. Or are we just not picking up on the pitcher we’re facing, what their natural tendency to throw on said count. Idk- I’m asking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2019, 10:08 PM

Who is our hitting coach?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Who is our hitting coach???

Apr 20, 2019, 10:56 PM

I don't think we have one per say . . .

I've heard Monte was Our hitting instructor, but I haven't a clue if that's true . . . I would love for us to hire someone specifically for that task.

Re: Who is our hitting coach???

Apr 21, 2019, 8:32 AM

So would I - Skeeta ..,, so would I ...,,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Apr 20, 2019, 10:10 PM

Good work. Thanks for looking that up. I knew it was bad, didn't know it was that bad.

Again, you just don't see our players progress much once they get here. There are a few examples of progression, just not enough.

I know Beer was unbelievable when he got here, but his numbers actually went down year after year.

Also the lack of a true No.1 starter during Montes tenure is troublesome. I know the draft hurts u, but every team battles that.

That number is bad any way you look at it.

Apr 21, 2019, 12:12 AM

And must be improved if we want to win something of significance.

Apr 21, 2019, 5:21 AM

Just like the last 2 games , the wind blowing in and we still continue to try and drive the ball.
Yes I agree in order for This program to get back to where it once was a hitting philosophy has to change. Most of the great teams now still play fundamental baseball.

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,281
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic