Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Men's Tennis @ #24 South Carolina tomorrow at 3, preview
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 930

Men's Tennis @ #24 South Carolina tomorrow at 3, preview

Feb 14, 2019, 9:58 PM

Tomorrow the Clemson men's tennis team will face the Gamecocks in Columbia. The Tigers are 6-2 with losses to Elon and Princeton while South Carolina is 6-1 with their only loss coming to #10 Southern Cal.

The Gamecocks are a pretty solid team this year and are probably under ranked at #24. They just beat a good NC State team 6-1 on Sunday in Raleigh.

Projected singles lineups (# indicates national singles ranking )

Clemson:
1. #100 Simon Baudry - Junior - Bordeaux, France
2. Teodor Giusca - Freshman - Bucharest, Romania
3. Carlos Kelaidis - Junior - Glyfada, Greece
4. Yizhou Liu - Sophomore - Nanjing, China
5. Pierre-Louis Dodens - Sophomore - Geneva, Switzerland
6. Jacob Jahn - Freshman - Mount Pleasant, SC

Kelaidis has been playing at #3 recently but Liu is the better player overall and Kelaidis has not won at 3 so he could move down to 4. Jahn will likely get the nod at 6 over Mike Agee.

South Carolina:
1. #16 Paul Jubb - Junior - Hull, England
2. #110 Daniel Rodrigues - Freshman - Funchal, Portugal
3. Yancy Dennis - Senior - Reisterstown, MD
4. #114 Raphael Lambling - Freshman - Paris, France
5. Joseph Brailovsky - Freshman - North Potomac, MD
6. Thomas Brown - Sophomore - Sumter, SC

Breakdown: I will be pretty surprised if the Tigers win this one tomorrow. Hate to say it but the Gamecocks look like the better team (and program) at the moment. Jubb has become one of the better players in the country. It's hard to see a scenario where the Tigers can take doubles and then 3 of the singles courts. Best hope for Clemson may be in doubles, 4 and 5 and maybe a Herculean effort fro Baudry at 1.

I will be driving down to Columbia to be in attendance tomorrow.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Men's Tennis @ #24 South Carolina tomorrow at 3, preview

Feb 14, 2019, 11:37 PM

Big Palmetto Series point at stake for Clemson to go out and get tomorrow down in Columbia as currently South Carolina is up in the standings with a 6-5 lead and there is only 3 points left on the table to get with those being Men's Tennis,Baseball and the Academic Point...http://palmettoseries.com/schedule/

the palmetto cup has to be one of the stupidest

Feb 15, 2019, 9:00 AM

Things ever created- most of the sports are meaningless but to a handful of people. The academic point will almost surely always go to UCS as they use a + grading system which yields higher gpa’s. I think we may have won the blood point recently but that was setup in USCs favor also. They have about 10K more students. Whoever from Clemson that agreed to the ridiculous format needs their head examined.

it is a stupid thing

Feb 15, 2019, 9:09 AM

But what I don't like the most about it is that it encourages Clemson fans to just mock the sports we lose in if they are "minor" sports.

How sad is it that our team is almost solely

Feb 15, 2019, 8:00 AM

Foreigners?

I was around during the great days of tennis with American kids playing for our university. It’s one thing to have a couple players from outside the US, but the trend of bringing in mostly/all foreign players the past ten years or so has all but killed American tennis.

I’ll be pulling for the Tigers but wish we had a different focus when it comes to recruiting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't care one bit where the players one from

Feb 15, 2019, 8:53 AM

Wake Forest won the national championship last year with a team full of international players. Year before that Virginia won it with 80% Americans.

So there are different ways to have a successful team. Clemson always has a mix of international and American. We haven't gone fully international like a few programs have.

But even if we did I personally wouldn't care. I worked with the team as a manager in 2012-2013 and the international players were Clemson students and represented the school the same way. Many of them love the American college lifestyle and go to the football games, participate in campus life etc. And quite a few stay in the USA after graduating and find ways to work here in some capacity.

let me explain this further

Feb 15, 2019, 9:45 AM

You describe a time when all players were American. This is probably also when Americans dominated the pros as well. But tennis is a very international sport now. American influence in the pros has gone way down.

Americans still play college tennis but there aren't enough high level players to fill every roster. The top Americans are snapped up by the top programs, so the rest have to decide between lower level Americans that they know will likely not compete with the best or to look for very good players internationally who could possibly compete with the best Americans.

Mississippi State for instance is #2 in the country right now with all international players since Mississippi produces no D1 level tennis players and little chance they can steal a player out of Texas, Florida etc.

T_I_P....thanks for the tennis updates...I'm not a big

Feb 15, 2019, 9:21 AM

tennis fan but I like keeping up with anything Clemson. So I really appreciate the updates otherwise would have no idea what is going on. Looking forward to the day that we surpass the chickens.

Keep up the good work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks

Feb 15, 2019, 11:07 AM

That is what I try to do. Just keeping people up to date at least makes them aware of how the team is doing, which players and teams are doing well etc. And hopefully that can create a modicum of interest

Re: Men's Tennis @ #24 South Carolina tomorrow at 3, preview

Feb 15, 2019, 1:27 PM

@T_I_P -

What do you think about the recently upgraded tennis facilities? Will this be enough to help us attracts the recruits to compete for ACC championships?

Replies: 9
| visibility 930
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic