Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Urban decision coming today... my guess and .02
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Urban decision coming today... my guess and .02

Aug 19, 2018, 11:16 AM

Urban showed bad judgement (nothing new) by keeping this dude on his staff. But assuming he sent it up the chain of command as he's supposed to, then no rules were broken.

The main reason I thought he'd get fired is negative recruiting going forward. But then I thought of the blind passion people have their state school. Penn St had a coach ###### orphaned boys for decades. Coaches/AD looked the other way despite reports. Yet, kids still committed and went to play football at Penn St. Yes, there was house cleaning, but would you have sent your son there that 1st or 2nd year? Well, parents did, and they will send their kids to OhSt to play for Urvan also.

I think the release on Friday about Zach Smith and sex toys was to get that story out and buried by Sunday, which did happen. Nobody cares.

So my guess, Urban stays, he wins games, and people move on by next season.
I'm not saying its right, its just want i think happens.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Urban decision coming today... my guess and .02

Aug 19, 2018, 11:18 AM

I think if he was gonna get fired thwy akready would have done it. I don't see the point of dragging it out this close to the sesson if they were going to make a change.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were waiting to receive the report from the

Aug 19, 2018, 1:57 PM

investigation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 11:21 AM

No way they let him go if they can possibly do it without the world ?? ending...lol

I'd love for harry Miller to go to Clemson along with Clay Webb but 31-0 won't let it happen lol..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Really do think that the Maryland situation will

Aug 19, 2018, 11:31 AM

help Urban keep his job. On its own, he may have lost his job. But in comparison with the Maryland situation where a kid died, it won't rise to that level. Durkin will be fired and Meyer will receive some sort of penalty. Fortuitous timing for Meyer. As I said on another post, akin to Michael Jackson dying during the Mark Sanford Appalachian Trail story.

The bottom line is he lied. That’s it, he lied.

Aug 19, 2018, 11:40 AM

He either:

1) Sent it up the chain of command as required, but decided to lie during a press conference, basically calling the reports lies.

2) Didn’t send it up the chain of command, and lied in his response, where he admitted to lying in the press conference.

Are those fireable offenses? That’s for OSU to decide. But that’s the problem for Urban, he’s a liar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: The bottom line is he lied. That’s it, he lied.

Aug 19, 2018, 12:05 PM

I think the issues are deeper than this. Being a government employee making $7 million a year he is held to a very high standard. The fact that he kept this guy on his staff and exposed kids to be around that type of sick person is a big issue. Plus part of the culture that Meyer has communicated is: number 1) be honest and number 2) treat women with respect And the root of the issues they are dealing with today are against the exact culture that Meyer uses to govern his program. If you have the head coach not even following the culture of the program and with him being the face pretty much of a state run institution like Ohio state that is a big deal.

If they keep him on more stufff will come out putting the school in even more hot water. DV groups will be all over this and the public backlash needs to be considered. McMurphy is just waiting on a decision so he can drop another bombshell, he just isn’t sitting around waiting for a decision like the rest of us.

I think it is the best interest for the school to cut losses now and part ways if they have any integrity at all for the overall institution.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

OSU KNOWS what Bret M has on Urban. They are

Aug 19, 2018, 12:18 PM

Just weighing the risks associated with various outcomes....

Aug 19, 2018, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: The bottom line is he lied. That’s it, he lied. ]

Those who have never told a lie or wouldn't tell a lie to save their own A$S, be the first to cut out the tongues of the ones that will!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: The bottom line is he lied. That’s it, he lied. ]

" Plus part of the culture that Meyer has communicated is: number 1) be honest and number 2) treat women with respect And the root of the issues they are dealing with today are against the exact culture that Meyer uses to govern his program."

Absolutely agree, great job getting to the root of the problem. However, I disagree that he will lose his job. osu knows he is the most important person in the athletic department. Someone else will be the sacrificial lamb.

I agree with some of what you are saying....

Aug 19, 2018, 12:58 PM [ in reply to Re: The bottom line is he lied. That’s it, he lied. ]

but I think you are missing the point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Aug 19, 2018, 12:14 PM

I think that it will be almost a guaranty that Urban will run a much tighter ship when it comes to hearing anything out of the ordinary with the going on's with his assistant coaches, and he will put a straightener on it immediately if not sooner. I just don't see him ever risking his career again for friend or really good friend. He will always have this incident to fall back on as a reason to why he can't look the other way again for a friend or any others... Personally, I don't care for Urban or his recruiting tactics, but I don't hate or fault him to a degree of losing his career bc he took a risk to help a personal friend with off campus personal issues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 12:22 PM

They won't decide today. Investigation ends today then they prepare a report that will be given to the Board of Trustees later in the week.

I suspect that if Urban isn't fired then the AD will be.

Aug 19, 2018, 12:54 PM

Felix2 said:

They won't decide today. Investigation ends today then they prepare a report that will be given to the Board of Trustees later in the week.

I suspect that if Urban isn't fired then the AD will be.

Yup. This. One of them is going to have to go.

Urban claims he passed the pertinent information on Smith up the chain of command to the AD. If Urban did indeed do that, he's covered...and the AD in turn is likely toast. He might wind up with a reprimand and a partial suspension but they won't - and probably can't - fire him with cause if he indeed reported Smith.

On the other hand if Urban's lying and there is no documentation (internal reports, e-mails or even corroborating voicemails) that he passed that information up the chain of command to the AD and is just attempting to throw the AD under the bus after he knowingly concealed information relevant to Smith, then I think it's Urban that ends up fired. The AD would have that information, and if they try to fit the AD with goat horns and there's no documentation, the AD will in turn sue the University for unlawful termination, breach of contract, damage to reputation and livelihood, etc, etc...and he'll win huge, too, and OSU will wind up with an even bigger black eye than they already have.

I think it comes down to the paper trail. I don't see an official inquiry doing anything that could expose them to liability.

Aug 19, 2018, 1:01 PM

When you hire Urban Meyer you knowingly hire someone who cares more about winning than anything else.

I think given everyone at Ohio St knows that, he will remain the coach as long as he keeps winning. Culture of Ohio State says they prefer championships over morales which makes Urban the perfect coach.

I am thankful that this will never be the rhetoric at Clemson while Dabo is in charge. Worse publicity we get is some dancing I order to donate 250k+ the breast cancer research or running a program that allows players to make their own choice to be baptized at practice. I’ll take both of those.

Are they going to publicly announce their decision today?

Aug 19, 2018, 12:27 PM

Seem like I heard on College Football Live they were going to release findings later this week.

Aug 19, 2018, 12:59 PM

Penn State is a bad comparison. Its not like Sandusky or Paterno were still recruiting at Penn State. The new staff wasn't responsible for anything that went down there. That's the benefit of cleaning house.

Aug 19, 2018, 1:07 PM

not really. they supposedly complete the investigation today. Share what was found w Univ brqass sometime next week. Trustees dont meet till 8/31. Nary a peep so far about the AD who has this and several other scandals under his watch. Also the local cops would not share the reports on the calls to Zach Smiths home over abuse. 9 times they went there. Never a charge filed. OH St has this thing buried as well as they ever have. Its a joke- this "investigation"

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 1:19 PM

Weep not for erbie nor o st. This university has a long history of turning it's back on serious problems. Some of you are not familiar with the abusive and profane acts committed by woody hayes. Yes they fired him for punching one of our players, but he should have been fired long before that. The culture then did not take action to reign in hayes and the win at all cost culture now will not dismiss erbie. JMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 1:36 PM

No matter what Ohio State is not going to come out of this looking good.

Scenario 1: Urban reported Zack Smith's alleged abuse up the chain in 2015. That begs the question - What action did Athletic Department and University take? If they did something - what was it? What changed in the situation that resulted in Smith's firing three years later in 2018? Without further explanation, this scenario (Urban reporting it to the AD in 2015) appears that the University sat on the allegation (or did very little) and only fired Smith once the allegations hit the media. Not exactly a good look as one might infer that nothing would have happened to Smith if it remained behind closed doors. Either way OSU looks like a bunch of hypocritical dip$h*ts willing to sweep domestic violence under the rug as long as they didn't get caught. Someone at OSU (athletic Director?) is gonna have to take the fall for the 3 years of inaction and the University will do all they can to save face.

Scenario 2: The University was unaware of Zack Smith's alleged abuse in 2015 because Urban did not tell the AD and violated the terms of his contract and title IX. The fact that Urban knew about the allegations is not up for dispute (he admitted as much in his lame statement released a couple weeks ago). This is the best case scenario for the University but the one that die hard OSU fans will not like. If this is the case, I see no way the University can excuse Myer's behavior and not punish him. If the University goes light on the punishment (i.e. couple of game suspension, dock some pay etc...) then the press will have a field day. If the University fires Meyer - a lot of idiot OSU fans will be in up in arms but most of the press will commend them for taking such action.

Regardless, OSU is tainted by this whole mess and Urban Meyer has had the band-aid ripped off his lying face to expose his true character. What amazes me is that Urban and/or the University wanted to give cover for a lower level position coach of questionable character. They could have quietly let him go in 2015 for "undisclosed" reasons instead of waiting 3 years when it was a forced firing due to the negative press.

The one bit of luck for OSU is that the recent Maryland story and their idiot coach is taking a lot of the press' attention away from the Zack Smith/Urban Meyer issue right now...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2018, 2:49 PM

No they won't, but it will be forgotten much sooner than if this was a case at Clemson. The media wouldn't ever allow it to pass on quietly as it will for OSU!!!

Aug 19, 2018, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Urban decision coming today... my guess and .02 ]

GReat scenarios. In terms of the question why they kept Smith on board, I live in Ohio and even their fans are saying that smith has Meyer by the balls. Meaning he could have other dirt on Meyer or Ohio state that could come out if they fired smith. Guy is a scumbag and I would not put it past him. He has questionable character, 9 police incidents of DV, one dui, and he still kept his job. Not many people in the world would keep his job given this scenario. So it makes sense that smith has a ton of dirt that allowed him to stay on staff. I mean who sends 3000 grand of sex toys to their work? Someone who walks on water and not fearing about losing their job.

Complete speculation but this is something fans in Ohio discuss as a scenario. I think there is a decent chance this story spirals out of control even further then what it already has.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Keep Urban there

Aug 19, 2018, 1:52 PM

If he gets fired, Gamecocks will all over themselves trying hire him. So they can end the career of a fourth national championship coach.

he's certainly no Jim Tressel***

Aug 20, 2018, 5:27 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic