Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reason why there will be a bigger playoff.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Reason why there will be a bigger playoff.

Dec 31, 2018, 1:13 PM

Ratings are down 35%. They need the whole country watching TV.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reason why there will be a bigger playoff.

Dec 31, 2018, 1:16 PM

With the exception of the southeast most of the country will be tuning out after the first round most seasons anyway. Expanding the playoff won’t make the rest of the country any better at football. It is what it is and watering down qualifications for the playoff won’t change things.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2018, 1:39 PM

There aren’t enough non conference matchups between southeastern teams and the those from the west for you to accurately make that statement.

A legitimate playoff system would enhance more regular season matchups and increase parity which is what college football needs. Nobody wants to see the same two teams play every year except fans of those two teams.

Says the guy lobbying for UGA to be in the playoff.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:10 PM

Tell me Mr Knowitall what has happened to teams from other parts of the country the last couple of years in the playoff? We just had two teams from different regions in the playoff last Saturday. What happened? If teams from the west coast can’t avoid more than one loss to the teams they play what in the world makes you think they could go toe to toe with Clemson or Alabama? The playoff isn’t broken. The best team has won every year since it has been put in place. Heck I’d say the BCS got it right at least 80-90% of the time. The fact is you’re scared to death that the coots will never finish the regular season in the top 4 and that’s for a good reason because they never have. Watering down the sport by lowering the standards to play for a championship is for losers like you.

Re: Says the guy lobbying for UGA to be in the playoff.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:17 PM

“The best team has won every year”

Lol. Well obviously whoever wins is going to be called the best team.

I’m convinced that you don’t even believe most of the things

Dec 31, 2018, 2:46 PM

you post. One day you’re posting about how the SEC is the best conference in the universe because of all the national champions they have produced and today you’re suggesting that some lame team from the west coast that couldn’t avoid losing multiple games can beat Bama or Clemson. Now you post crap like this. One day you’re lobbying for a two loss UGA team to be the #4 and the playoff does exactly what you suggest they should do by putting the best teams from other regions in the playoff and you can’t stop whining about expanding the playoff because UGA is on the outside looking in. You’re a contradiction and nothing more that a troll whose team is a traditional loser and will never have a shot at a national championship in football past the month of October. Put a sock in it coot. If you were half as smart as you think you are you wouldn’t waste your time trolling.

Re: I’m convinced that you don’t even believe most of the things

Dec 31, 2018, 2:49 PM

“One day you’re posting about how the SEC is the best conference in the universe because of all the national champions”

I’ve NEVER said anything even remotely close to this.

Re: I’m convinced that you don’t even believe most of the things

Dec 31, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to I’m convinced that you don’t even believe most of the things ]

I’ve also never lobbied for UGA. In fact I’ve said many times that the committee got it right for the system they have in place.....but that system is still asinine.

If the playoffs are expanded...

Dec 31, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Says the guy lobbying for UGA to be in the playoff. ]

Then why would it mean MORE cross-sectional games? That's counter-intuitive to the 'play it safe' mentality of, in particular, SEC schools. Who's going to entice Florida to leave the state for a non-conference game?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Reason why there will be a bigger playoff. ]

Expanding the playoff will obviously get more country to start watching. It's a given. It's as simple as 1 plus 1.

Dec 31, 2018, 1:24 PM

I think the games not really being competitive played a large role. Having Clemson and Bama beat the crap out of whatever teams are ranked 7th and 8th wouldn’t do anything to increase viewership.

Dec 31, 2018, 1:44 PM

But you don’t know that would happen.

Who puts up a fight against Bama and Clemson?

Dec 31, 2018, 4:07 PM

Other than UGA who already had their shot at Bama, nobody in the country would’ve played it close. I almost wish UCF wouldve gotten in so they could lose by 70 and all their whiny fans would shut the hell up

also the more games the more money to be made

Dec 31, 2018, 1:26 PM

and they love them some money

Re: also the more games the more money to be made

Dec 31, 2018, 1:55 PM

We all love us some money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes yes indeed***

Dec 31, 2018, 2:02 PM

It would still likely be the same two teams in the final

Dec 31, 2018, 1:26 PM

yeah its the weekend after christmas

Dec 31, 2018, 1:35 PM

many are wanting to get out and do something after being shut up in a home gathering with family for a few days

Re: It would still likely be the same two teams in the final

Dec 31, 2018, 1:42 PM [ in reply to It would still likely be the same two teams in the final ]

The Syracuse coach was asked about going to 8 teams on Golic and Wingo a few weeks ago. I was surprised when he said no. He said it would make it even harder for a team like his to win a NC, because maybe they could beat a team like Clemson or Bama in a single game, and if they win that there’s just one other game in front of them.

However, he said the more games you have then the more advantage teams like Clemson and Bama have because they are so deep with talent that they can overcome injuries and fatigue so much easier. Basically, most teams would be run down by the 2nd and 3rd games and Clemson or Bama would dominate those teams at that point.

Re: It would still likely be the same two teams in the final

Dec 31, 2018, 1:46 PM [ in reply to It would still likely be the same two teams in the final ]

It’s hard to compete when you don’t even get to play those teams. There are 130 FBS teams and we only played 10 of them in the regular season.

Taking four teams for a playoff out of 130 is the height of stupidity.

The NFL only has 32 teams and they take TWELVE.

But they ARE competing

Dec 31, 2018, 1:54 PM

Re: But they ARE competing

Dec 31, 2018, 2:01 PM

How do you know Clemson is better than Ohio St. or even a UCF? They didn’t play on the field.....

In the NFL those teams have to go out week after week and prove they belong over the course of a season.

We didn’t prove we were better than the PAC 12 champ or the Big 10 champ. We didn’t prove we were better than Georgia or UCF. We proved we were better than the 13 teams out of 130 that we played.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:09 PM

Only team beside Clemson and Bama that have even shown up for the CFP since 2014 are Georgia(2017) and Oklahoma(2015 and 2017)!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2018, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: But they ARE competing ]

Only team beside Clemson and Bama that have even shown up for the CFP since 2014 are Georgia(2017) and Oklahoma(2015 and 2017)!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because some people have eyes and common sense

Dec 31, 2018, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Re: But they ARE competing ]

Re: Because some people have eyes and common sense

Dec 31, 2018, 2:35 PM

Yea that’s why everybody does so well filling out an NCAA tournament bracket because it’s so easy to pick the games....

You’d see all kinds of upsets in a legitimate CFB playoff.

You just made an argument against yourself

Dec 31, 2018, 2:39 PM

Re: You just made an argument against yourself

Dec 31, 2018, 2:43 PM

Yes I want the teams to actually play the games on the field, not be argued in.

Re: Because some people have eyes and common sense

Dec 31, 2018, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Because some people have eyes and common sense ]

I don’t think we’d see very many upsets in football at all, it’s nothing like basketball. In basketball, a lower seeded team may be filled with seniors and up against a higher ranked team of freshman. In a single basketball game one team may get hot and make a ton of 3’s, while the best shooter on the higher seeded team has a cold night.

In football, it’s much less likely that some random team is going to get hot for a night and upset Bama. Yes, upsets happen from time to time, but it’s much harder to overcome a team in football that has bigger, stronger, and faster players across the board.

If you play enough games then yes, you’ll see upsets here and there, but it wouldn’t be happening all the time. To prove my point, just how many playoff semi games have been competitive since the current format started?

PLEASE...STOP

Dec 31, 2018, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Re: But they ARE competing ]

Saying 'we'. You're not a 'we'!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2018, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: But they ARE competing ]

I guess the Eagles can’t feel they are the best NFL team last year since Jacksonville and over half of the other NFL teams didn’t get to play them.

Bowl exhaustion becomes a factor.

Dec 31, 2018, 2:32 PM

It's already a factor, I believe.

Imo, the final four will always get the same number of TV viewers. Fans of the two teams will watch and haters of both will watch just to see their hated team lose. Gamblers will watch because of the 'action.' I watch ND games along with USCw, OSU, OU, Texas and Michigan just to see them lose. Passion is an emotion and emotions are always the biggest motivator.

If you expand the playoff to 8 the final two games will likely not increase viewers or anything else but bowl takes for the conferences, more exposure to injuries and NFL scouts for players and less focus on academics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

expanding the play-off isn't the answer

Dec 31, 2018, 2:54 PM

Once the play-offs got too big, teams that were un-defeated or only had 1 loss towards
the end of the season. Could take a game off, and even start sitting major players.
Honestly, once you get out of the top 6 (if you wanna do that)- Most teams don't even
deserve to be in the conversation.
Also needs to be a premium on winning your conference- But NOT divisional winners- should
be the best 2 regardless.
So that's where I would go with it.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic