Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In 2004, we had one 4 star commit
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

In 2004, we had one 4 star commit

Apr 4, 2019, 3:30 PM

He didn't sign that year and went to prep school. Times have changed.

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Season/2004-Football/Commits/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In 2004, we had one 4 star commit

Apr 4, 2019, 3:45 PM

This list is wild. Haha. The star ratings seem out of control. For instance, we got what appears to be the #31 overall rated recruit in the country, but he was only a 2*!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#31 JUCO or prep school or whatever. They apparently

Apr 4, 2019, 4:03 PM

had separate rankings for those guys.

What I find amazing is how Dabo gets the most out of each recruit.

Apr 4, 2019, 3:57 PM

I scrolled back through the Bowden years. And even when we signed a top guy, we rarely seemed to get the most of him. Antonio Clay anyone? Corey Lambert? Willy Korn?

This is why I say coaching is way more important than talent. Dabo and Co are recruiting the right players and then pushing the right buttons.

Re: What I find amazing is how Dabo gets the most out of each recruit.

Apr 4, 2019, 4:02 PM

In fairness to Willie Korn he got hurt and really didn’t get to show how good he could have been

To be perfectly honest, he looked a bit overrated coming

Apr 4, 2019, 4:11 PM

out of Byrnes. I believe he started getting downgraded by recruiting services his SR year as well.

Nobody thought Korn was over rated at the time.

Apr 4, 2019, 4:55 PM

He was runner up MVP at the Elite 11 Finals and voted "Most Likely To Play First". He was an elite high school QB in every sense of the word and expectations were very high here at Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He will coach here one day***

Apr 4, 2019, 5:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nobody thought Korn was over rated at the time.

Apr 4, 2019, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Nobody thought Korn was over rated at the time. ]

led a TD drive on his first ever possession ... if memory serves ... which it often does not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Re: To be perfectly honest, he looked a bit overrated coming

Apr 4, 2019, 5:31 PM [ in reply to To be perfectly honest, he looked a bit overrated coming ]

out of Byrnes. I believe he started getting downgraded by recruiting services his SR year as well.

I didn't think so. The kid was durn near as dominant in high school as Trevor Lawrence was. Problem was Willy tore up his throwing shoulder VERY early in his career at Clemson - I think it was his labrum, if memory serves - and was pretty much lobbing slowballs thereafter.

Along came Kyle Parker and his 110mph fastball - Parker wasn't a big dude, but Oh My did he have a live arm - and the difference was pretty apparent.

When you can't throw, it's hard to be a college QB.

He broke his collarbone and didn't get it fixed for over a

Apr 4, 2019, 5:52 PM

year because we needed him as a back up

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2019, 5:55 PM [ in reply to Re: To be perfectly honest, he looked a bit overrated coming ]

to bad Kyle was as reliable as a spooked horse after auburn rung his bell

Apr 4, 2019, 8:55 PM

i know it was before the rule ... but if ever there was a targeting call that needed to be made, that was it. poor kid got speared.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2019, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: To be perfectly honest, he looked a bit overrated coming ]

No Clemson fan may have thought he was overrated but the scouts at Rivals sure did. His junior year he was a 5 star top 2 QB recruit in the country. By the time the last rankings was released he was a 4 star top 100 type of kid. A good player but he was never in the same realm as Trevor who was start to finish the best player in the country per rivals.

He was downgraded by the recruiting services as his sr. year

Apr 4, 2019, 7:25 PM [ in reply to To be perfectly honest, he looked a bit overrated coming ]

wore on. He was ranked as high as 2 or 3 overall with Rivals, and ended up dropping down to #98 in the final rankings(below Stephen Garcia of the coots)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Didn’t he transfer as well?

Apr 4, 2019, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: What I find amazing is how Dabo gets the most out of each recruit. ]

That’s kinda my point though. An injury shouldn’t have railroaded the career of a lifelong Clemson fan like him. I’m not knocking him. I just think the program didn’t really know how to mold young men under Tommy Bowden.

don't get your Clemson info from coots....they're the only

Apr 4, 2019, 5:03 PM [ in reply to What I find amazing is how Dabo gets the most out of each recruit. ]

people i know that never knew Willy Korn had a career altering shoulder injuries. They all just assumed he was a bust and couldn't hack D1 Football. Wishful thinking on their part and a perfect addition to coot logic.

Not knocking Korn. I’m knocking the program under Bowden.

Apr 4, 2019, 5:29 PM

No doubt Korn had a tough time. I just think it shows how fare program has come.

Ant Clay lost his sister and Willy Korn broke his collarbone***

Apr 4, 2019, 5:57 PM [ in reply to What I find amazing is how Dabo gets the most out of each recruit. ]

Apr 4, 2019, 4:05 PM

I hardly recognize or remember any of them names. Was still cheering 'em on though. I must've drank a lot that season , lol
Yeah, times have changed

That was back we people constantly posted that stars don't

Apr 4, 2019, 5:45 PM

matter

2003 and 2004 were dark days for Clemson recruiting

Apr 4, 2019, 4:13 PM

2005 was much better despite being the "Geno's Mom" year.

Re: 2003 and 2004 were dark days for Clemson recruiting

Apr 4, 2019, 4:31 PM

Say what you will, but four of those guys from 2004 played in the NFL a some time...Clemons being the one with the most success, but Richardson, Scott and Hamlin all had more than the proverbial cup of coffee.

Apr 4, 2019, 4:51 PM

The average for the entire class was 0.7980. We don't even sign anyone that low anymore. Even the walk-ons are usually ranked higher than that. What a change Dabo has wrought. We're having to tell high ranked 4**** recruits there is no room at the inn.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cliff Hammonds was a football recruit?***

Apr 4, 2019, 4:56 PM

Re: Cliff Hammonds was a football recruit?***

Apr 4, 2019, 5:51 PM

Yeah he was successful in both football and basketball through high school but decided to stick with basketball. Great guard IMO and played overseas for a while. He still may be playing in Europe.

Yep, I remember just before that time when all the chatter

Apr 4, 2019, 5:09 PM

was "Can we win the state in recruiting"

Apr 4, 2019, 5:15 PM

Looking at some of those recruiting classes, I don't get how Clemsoning ever even came to be. Who the hell thought we were recruiting to high standards? UGA should have gotten that term well before we should have. It's not like we were winning 7-8 games with top 10 classes

Believe WillyK actually got hurt in front of fans in a DV game..

Apr 4, 2019, 5:54 PM

and seem to remember he was coccking arm to let go a pass & got hit in a fashion that rammed his arm backwards.

Anyone have memory of this?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, that was his second shoulder injury, happened in

Apr 4, 2019, 6:00 PM

Dabo's 1st game as iHC, Willy broke his collarbone originally against Furman the year before

Apr 4, 2019, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: In 2004, we had one 4 star commit ]

good point! I think only in our minds should we have been winning and maybe our over-confidence confused everybody else.

Cliff Hammonds***

Apr 4, 2019, 5:55 PM

Apr 4, 2019, 7:17 PM

And got one helluva basketball player....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our 2003 season began so poorly that we had no momentum

Apr 4, 2019, 7:44 PM

... with 04 recruits even though we ended up with a very solid finish.

After we got crushed up at Wake that year, it looked like Bowden was a goner.

Just sort of illustrates how you have to have consistency on the field and a stable coaching staff to get on a roll with recruits.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our 2003 season began so poorly that we had no momentum

Apr 5, 2019, 7:13 AM

Sure looked like it Apex!! One of several times Bowden pulled his career at Clemson out of the ashes.....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

A few of those guys turned out well...***

Apr 4, 2019, 8:13 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic