Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

TNET: BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback

Nov 13, 2018, 7:01 AM

BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback

Boston College quarterback Anthony Brown left Saturday’s game against Clemson after a jarring hit from defensive tackle Christian Wilkins on the Eagles’ first drive, winding up in an area hospital with an abdominal injury. The good news is that Brown is out of the hospital and should be back at practice this week. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

classy, maybe Dave Dorito and Bobby Paternity can take notes***

Nov 13, 2018, 7:13 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

From seeing CW42’s almost horizontal momentum into QB, no way could he had stopped &

Nov 13, 2018, 7:37 AM

the way he came down with all his 300+ lbs is maybe the crutch of the matter but even there i don’t think it’s fair to fault CW especially since he didn’t plant him, and the QB rolled which put his body in an ackward position too.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: classy, maybe Dave Dorito and Bobby Paternity can take notes***

Nov 13, 2018, 9:56 AM [ in reply to classy, maybe Dave Dorito and Bobby Paternity can take notes*** ]

Boston College coach earned my respect by his comments. I'll be pulling for them to win out.

Re: TNET: BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback

Nov 13, 2018, 7:43 AM

So what was the injury??????

He got squished by Christian.***

Nov 13, 2018, 7:48 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He got squished by Christian.***

Nov 13, 2018, 9:39 AM

I’m sorry, the injury is not funny but I can’t stop laughing at this.

Might have been a Bentley and it was just

Nov 13, 2018, 8:00 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback ]

Utter humiliation and fear caused him to want No More

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am not exactly sure, but...

Nov 13, 2018, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback ]

the reports stated an internal injury, and it was rumored that it was a ruptured spleen. With the reactions from Dabo and Christian, I would have to say it was something really serious.

Re: I am not exactly sure, but...

Nov 13, 2018, 3:10 PM

But the article said that he was out of the hospital and expected to practice this week. He would not be out only a few days if he had a spleen removed. That's like a month recovery time minimum. I imagine anything serious would keep him from practice this week.

Re: TNET: BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback

Nov 13, 2018, 7:57 AM

I just cant envision what kind of rule change would prevent this other than you can hit the qb or in the grasp. Both guys are locked up and they fell awkwardly. Just like in the targeting rule where it is assumed the D guy can just hit anywhere he wants. I'm all for player safety but when guys hit and struggle with each other things can happen

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...

Nov 13, 2018, 8:13 AM

I just don't see how you can punish a player for a "result"... penalties should be for "actions." The "action" that CW took was a perfectly normal tackle by a BIG guy against a SMALLER guy (making an awkward move) that "resulted" in an unfortunate injury. IMO this is very different from a Targeting penalty when a tackler deliberately takes an "action" like leading with the crown of the helmet... like the Nancy State guy who hit Gallman two years ago. That said, about half the Targeting violations are more about the result than the action... for example, when the tackler is in position to make a normal (legal) tackle, until the ball carrier drops his head too late for the tackler to adjust. Too many rules that just can't be applied equitably.

And if I hear one more talking head say that Wilkins "drove him into the ground" I'm going to scream. That just wasn't the case. JMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They do it in the NFL

Nov 13, 2018, 10:38 AM

You can't tackle too hard. Crazy but true.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have the answer!

Nov 13, 2018, 8:05 AM

Put a colored vest on them and if you double touch them below the waist the qb is down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Re: I have the answer!

Nov 13, 2018, 7:13 PM

With all the rules (can't hit them too high; can't hit them too low; don't throw them down too hard; don't fall on them; etc), the defensive guys are really at a disadvantage. Most of the time they are just trying to grab and hang on to something to make a tackle. Some of the QB's and running backs are pretty big and hard to get on the ground. Not sure what the answer is. It is a collision sport and these guys are big and fast.

Nov 13, 2018, 8:10 AM

The response by Addazio was classy. I have watched that hit many times and Big Wil actually came up off of Brown once they both hit the ground…a true sign that no ill intent was to hurt the young man. If you know and have watched Wilkins, I am sure he will grimace once he watches the hit…if he watches it at all. But hey….this is football and a championship is within sight, and the Tigers are not going to get there being nice. Go Tigers!!!!

Nov 13, 2018, 8:37 AM

So....when does this become flag football?? For cryin’ out loud. Some of these rule change ideas are getting ridiculous.

Nov 13, 2018, 9:07 AM

This was my thought as well. Maybe we should put flags on the QB and if the defense grabs one he's down. Geez. And how is this illegal in the NFL? You can't tackle a QB in the NFL?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 13, 2018, 1:45 PM

It's illegal in the NFL because he didn't put a pillow under his head as he laid him gently on the ground. :)

Nov 13, 2018, 9:05 AM

NCAA -- PLEASE do not go the route of the NFL, the most ridiculous and inconsistent rules in this game.

It was a violent tackle, but it was also a freak accident.

Nov 13, 2018, 9:20 AM

It's not like it's true that "When you make a hard landing that the odds are high that a person will suffer internal damage."

We had a guy who's spleen ruptured from landing on the ball. It's a freak accident.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What you supposed to do, push em down?***

Nov 13, 2018, 9:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason the NFL sucks is because they make unenforceable

Nov 13, 2018, 12:02 PM

rules.

There is no reliable solution to preventing rough landings. But anyone who bullied younger siblings knows there are different degrees of landing on another person. There is normal.... and there is intentionally hard. You can't possibly enforce such a distinction though without it being arbitrary.

Edit: ONE of the reasons that the NFL sucks...

Message was edited by: Completely Solid Orange®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, they're going to outlaw tackling?

Nov 13, 2018, 9:22 AM

What did CW do that could be made illegal?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, they're going to outlaw tackling?

Nov 13, 2018, 9:32 AM

In the NFL now they say you can't purposely drive the QB into the ground after a pass using your body weight. The way I look at it is you can't try to be a human lawn dart coming down on the QB. I'm not saying this is a good rule or that CW did this, but I think this is the rule they are alluding to.

CW didn't 'drive him into the ground.'

Nov 13, 2018, 10:03 AM

Ben Bowlware drove Baker Mayfield into the ground. To qualify for 'drive him into the ground,' the tackler must elevate himself more than normal and leap. The first clue is the tackler's hips being higher than his shoulders after his feet leave the ground. CW did neither and his hips did not elevate to make his trunk anywhere close to horizontal much less than a position above his shoulders.

For all practical purposes he fell on the BC player. If that becomes illegal the game of football ends. Peewee teams have weight limits to prevent this. Is that what we're going to?

Imo, if there's fault it's on the BC QB for trying to throw the ball to avoid the inevitable, being sacked.

Re: CW didn't 'drive him into the ground.'

Nov 13, 2018, 10:47 AM

I don't think Wilkins drove him into the ground either. But Addazio just lost a big game and lost his starting QB. So I'm sure the hit looks worse in his mind than it actually was. It also sounds in the article like Addazio was responding to a question from a reporter about the NFL rules which he admitted he wasn't totally sure about.

Nov 13, 2018, 9:36 AM

One thing that i have noticed is the "forward progress" rule has disappeared. When the guy with the ball is stopped, instead of blowing the whistle the runner is stood up to be whacked or the snatching or swatting the ball begins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wilkins, you gotta keep on keepin' on...don't slow down, do

Nov 13, 2018, 9:46 AM

not hesitate. Do the same next time too. Football is a violent sport in which players attempt to out-physical the other. Take the violence out and you'll have no football, next thing ya know...

Re: Wilkins, you gotta keep on keepin' on...don't slow down, do

Nov 13, 2018, 9:58 AM

That’s where it’s headed. Before long it will turn into laser tag or “personal space” tackle. Get close enough and he’s down. I’m all for safety, that’s why we wear seatbelts driving, but accidents happen despite out best intentions. Christian didn’t “drive” him into the ground.

Kudos to Coach Addazio!!!

Nov 13, 2018, 10:15 AM

It seems the current state of college football is leaning towards the unattractive whining side. I applaud Coach Addazio for recognizing the toughness needed to win at this level and for teaching it to his kids!!!

This was a HUGE game for BC!!! They had the #2 team in the nation on their home turf, Gameday was there, control of the Atlantic Division was at hand! Not since Matty Ice Days had this happened. BC played as hard as they could. They never backed down. They were gracious in defeat.

How many of our opponents would have acted in a like manner? How many would have simply whined? Would we, a Proud Tiger Nation, handled defeat with as much class?

Kudos to Coach Addazio and all of BC Nation!!!

Nov 13, 2018, 10:21 AM

I like Coach A. That being said, prepare for the pussification of college football. Similar to the political climate of the day.

I postulate that

Nov 13, 2018, 10:25 AM

artificial turf was a major part of the injury problem.

Natural grass would have lessened the likelihood of the injury!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: I postulate that

Nov 13, 2018, 10:40 AM

Seems a reasonable assumption considering the base of artificial turf is as hard as concrete.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

If TL got a hit like that we'd all be pissed. CW could have

Nov 13, 2018, 11:20 AM

just tackled him and not thrown his body on top.

Fans can be pissed and be wrong at the same time.

Nov 13, 2018, 6:48 PM

Of course we’d be pissed ... but we’d be wrong.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clean hit and great play by Wilkins who is a class guy***

Nov 13, 2018, 11:34 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have seen Wilkins drive all of his weight down onto QBs...

Nov 13, 2018, 12:19 PM

before and wondered why a penalty wasn't called. Go back and watch the games. I've seen it this year. Don't recall exactly which games, but I have them all DVRed. He comes down with all of his weight on the QB and at the next level it'll cost his team. I'm not a coot, I'm not a cootfan. I'm Clemson through and through, but I think he's coming down with his weight intentionally.

Re: I have seen Wilkins drive all of his weight down onto QBs...

Nov 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

he may be generally a great dude, and at most times classy. But let's not forget this is the guy that attempted a vasectomy on the field against OSU.

Seriously man go take your anti-Wilkins rant over to

Nov 13, 2018, 4:18 PM

Coot- j/k

Nov 13, 2018, 12:23 PM [ in reply to I have seen Wilkins drive all of his weight down onto QBs... ]

you at right, there was another game where he did it also.

Re: Coot- j/k

Nov 13, 2018, 12:31 PM

he looked up at the Ref after he did it too.

Re: Coot- j/k

Nov 13, 2018, 12:32 PM

In the previous game (maybe Saturday too) but I remember that from watching it the game before when I saw him do it.

Here are Wilkins' prior sacks this season

Nov 13, 2018, 4:08 PM [ in reply to I have seen Wilkins drive all of his weight down onto QBs... ]

Nov 13, 2018, 2:36 PM

I like that guy and I suspect the program at Syracuse is benefiting from Barber who I think must be a pretty stand up kind of guy. I do hope the player is fully recovered or soon will be.

Re: TNET: BC head coach speaks out on Wilkins hit, updates injury to quarterback***

Nov 13, 2018, 4:59 PM

Nov 13, 2018, 5:04 PM

Anyone who knows Christian knows he would never intentionally hurt another player, he's just a big guy who was doing his job. No way was that a premeditated contact. And...of course Dabo and CW reached out, that is what decent people do, and I doubt it happens very often. I do hope CW connected with Brown. Something tells me that having injured Brown weighs heavy on poor Christian.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic