Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Proposed wrinkle for ACC football schedule
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Proposed wrinkle for ACC football schedule

Jan 10, 2019, 3:09 PM

The ACC has a tough time promoting its football brand to some parts of the nation. Individual teams do great, like Clemson and FSU on the national stage of recognition but not many other schools do. The PAC12, since its on the west coast with late games, has very little viewers outside the west coast. Both leagues have similar problems but can help each other.

Presently on our 12 game schedule we play 8 ACC teams and the PAC12 plays 9 conference games. My proposal is to drop a cupcake/division II team and add a PAC12 team to the schedule to all the ACC teams and the PAC12 do the same thing. So the ACC would pay 8 ACC games and one PAC 12 team each year. And the PAC12 would play 9 PAC12 Teams and one ACC team. Each week would feature a cross conference game. The team you play would be based on your record the prior year. #1 plays #1 and #2 plays #2 etc. This would create more viewers for both conference from the opposite coasts (we do this now in basketball with the ACC BIG10 challenge). This wojld help us recruit more nationally.

Each conference could make the cross conference games count towards a conference champ or not, it would be up to each conference to decide that. This would also help with football attendance as that is trending down for most schools. Wouldn't you want to see us play Southern Cal more so than Furman?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't see that happening, though I like the general idea.***

Jan 10, 2019, 3:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You would first have to get the S.C. legislature to......

Jan 10, 2019, 3:19 PM

repeal the current law that requires that Clemson -lay to colleges/universities in S.C. and one has to be the Gamecocks.

Re: You would first have to get the S.C. legislature to......

Jan 10, 2019, 3:42 PM

There is no law on the books that require clemson and south carolina to play each other or to play any of the other schools in the state.... Dabo chooses to play at least one of the smaller in state schools because he has said it helps them out.

There was a lawmaker that tried to make it a law that Clemson and Carolina play each other but there was no need to the law so it was dropped.

Re: You would first have to get the S.C. legislature to......

Jan 10, 2019, 5:03 PM

In 1951, Clemson and Maryland disobeyed a Southern Conference rule forbidding teams from going to a bowl. The next year, 1952,the conference forbade Clemson and Maryland from playing any conference teams. Clemson and South Carolina were not going to get to play on Big Thursday, the state legislature passed a law requiring the two teams to play.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Proposed wrinkle for ACC football schedule

Jan 10, 2019, 3:46 PM

I don't know if you're ever going to get them to drop the FCS games, because it's usually a local school, and they make a ton of money off of it. You could definitely drop the Group of 5 game that we play every year though.

and we might get to play the real USC every once in while***

Jan 10, 2019, 4:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 4:40 PM

Too far to travel.. Big 10 or 12 maybe

8 ACC
UofSC SEC
SEC
Furman/Citadel/Wofford
Big 10/12

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 5:05 PM

Maybe a neutral field game replaces an away game for each team. Jerry World could probably work geographically, but it could be too costly to rent the venue.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 10, 2019, 5:07 PM

Believe it’s a state law that we play one of the smaller SC schools every year. Plus our OOC is already challenging enough. I like the general idea but feel like that would replace our games with UGA, LSU, etc and honestly I’d prefer to play teams like that.

Jan 10, 2019, 5:12 PM

I like the idea, but as has been pointed out in this thread the long distance to travel creates a problem.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic